PDA

View Full Version : LBT Mold Lube

Oregon Coot
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
The little stick of material provided with new LBT molds - how is it used?

Maven
02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
It's used to lube the locating pins on the mold face and where the sprue plate [bolt] bears on the top of the mold blocks. Use it sparingly, as it does creep when melted.

Piedmont
02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
It is great stuff. Sometimes the hinge joint on handles will want to bind, too. A touch of the LBT mould lube frees it up like magic. Be real careful on the sprue plate, as Maven said, or it will get in the closest cavity and take a while to burn out.

Oregon Coot
02-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Thank you!

How is it used? Applied cold or when molds are brought up to temp?

OuchHot!
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Works best when hot....I think it is wax with graphite. Be very sparing, you don't want it crawling into a cavity.

Von Gruff
02-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I thought I would make my own when my stick was gone by mixing a teaspoon of graphite in a desertspoon of melted beeswax. The LBT stick lasts well when used sparingly as intended so havent thought how to mould the G/BW into a suitable stick yet but have plenty of time to work that one out.

OuchHot!
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Maybe just put a crease in some tin foil and pour the "trough" full. I was thinking the same thing as I tend to misplace my lube stick. Then I got started using a toothpick dipped in 2-stroke oil. It seems to work near as well.

captaint
02-15-2013, 09:42 PM
The 2 stroke (high quality, synthetic) oil is rumored to work very well. A Q tip works well
for application. Mike

stubshaft
02-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Just a l i g h t touch of it on a hot mold should do the trick. I bought some from Veral about 25+ years ago. He sold it in a 5 stick pack (they look like skinny black cigarettes) and I still have 3 sticks of it left! I use it on the sprue hinge and alignment pins of all of my molds. The bottom of the sprue plate and mold top gets Bullplate.

wantoutofca
02-15-2013, 10:53 PM
2 stroke works well for me.

dubber123
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I thought I would make my own when my stick was gone by mixing a teaspoon of graphite in a desertspoon of melted beeswax. The LBT stick lasts well when used sparingly as intended so havent thought how to mould the G/BW into a suitable stick yet but have plenty of time to work that one out.

I poured my mix, (I used graphite and old stick boolit lube) into an old sizing die container to make a cylinder. When it cooled, I just sliced off a chunk, and rolled it between two pieces of wood until I got a 1/4" stick. It was easy and I made enough up to keep myself set for a while.

MtGun44
02-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Bull plate lube. ALL of the wax based lubes burn on and make a major
mess. My way of using that little stick of "lube" is to drop it in the trash
first thing.

Bill

Oregon Coot
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Thank you gentlemen! You have helped this newbie along a great deal.