PDA

View Full Version : Small score today

lightman
02-15-2013, 02:52 PM
The poll "Do you have a lifetime supply" has caused me to start scrounging again. I probably have a lifetime supply, but looking ahead to retirement, I plan to shoot and cast more. So, I put out the word at both of our tire shops, and picked up most of a 5 gallon bucket of ww today, for free! Been talking to my phone co friends too! I have a pile of phone co splice covers, for free, so sometime before summer I'll fire up the smelter. Lightman

Dusty Bannister
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Good job. If nothing else, you are keeping it from going out of the country. When you have "enough", it makes it a lot easier to share with a new caster that is short on everything, at least enough to get him going. Dusty

7Acres
02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Lightman, nice score! Can you describe these phone co splice covers? My dad retired after 35 years with GTE/Verizon. If I knew what to ask for it may open up a supply of lead! Description and/or pics please?

runfiverun
02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
they are like a catalytic converter shape with lead pipe going in and out.
they use them to cover underground phone lines where the wires are spliced together.

7Acres
02-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks r5r!

lightman
02-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Hi 7Acres, runfiverun got it! I have several different types of these. Some look like a catalytic converter or round muffler with a seem which is probably tin base solder. They sometimes have an air valve in them, like a valve stem. Another type just looks like lead pipe, usually from 1/2 inch to about 3 inch. Except for the solder around the air valve and the seam, they are like 98% pure lead. They are used on overhead lines too! Like most good things, these are getting to be a thing of the past. Lightman

lightman
02-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Dusty, You are right, its always good to be able to spot a new guy something to start with and help him along. I think I'm getting re-addicketed to scrounging for this stuff! Lightman