PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket front sight for Ruber BH

Tatume
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi Folks,

Today I was shooting my FA M97 41 Rem Mag and having a blast! (Pun intended.) When I had exhausted my supply of ammo I unholstered my Ruger BH 41 Rem Mag, having decided to shoot the carry ammo in it and replace it with fresh when I got home. Although I shot a very nice group with it (1” a 25 yards), the front sight was considerably less distinct and crisp than was the FA sight. Who makes high-quality aftermarket front sight blades that will fit the Ruger roll-pin base?

Thanks, Tom

stubshaft
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Is the sight radius the same?

Tatume
02-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Approximately, yes.

Everyone, I apologize for the typo, "Ruger."

Lefty SRH
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Quality, I'd look into Bowen Custom.

Rick R
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
I've had Dave Clements make replacement front sights for two Ruger revolvers. He's easy to work with and produces quality parts.

stubshaft
02-15-2013, 11:01 PM
IIRC - you can buy them directly from Ruger in 4 different heights for about $4.50. I bought a couple for my Old Army and played around with them until I got the sight picture and height that I needed.

Angus
02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
If it's an issue of sharp edges and profile I am sure some diligence and a file could go a long way to getting you where you want to be. A little 300 grit paper and some cold blue after you're done and you won't even notice it's not factory. I bought a partridge blade for my S&W model 60 and had to square up the profile as it pitched off to the left. After I squared it up I knocked the burr off and gave it a few swipes and ouila, a sexy sight picture.

Tatume
02-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Angus,

You're right, and this is the route I'm going to take. For one thing, I don't have much choice. I'm so used to the Ruger roll-pin base that I didn't even notice that this one isn't! It has a one-piece base and blade, so I can't replace the blade. Second, I examined the blade under magnification, and I'm certain I can clean it up with a jewlers file. Then a little bit of sight black will restore it to be nice and crisp. Thanks.

Take care, Tom