PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks on non-GC bullets

Jack D
02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm using a Lee Tumble Lube 158 gr. bullet mold for my .357 magnum loads. For my rifle, I like the tumble lube design for it's many grooves giving me several choices for crimping. In my SS .357 rifle, I can get loads approaching .357 Maxi loads in magnum cases with FTX and XTP bullets. To get those velocities (~1900-2000 fps)with my cast bullets, I assumed I needed gas checks. Researching gas checks, it was almost unanimus that I could not put GC's on a tumble lube bullet. I don't like the words "can't or can not" so I ordered a box of Hornady gas checks for the .358 bullet.

Yesterday the GC's came in and I, anxiously, got to work. First I tried fitting one to a sized bullet. No go! Then I rounded the base and was able to fit a gas check to it, but it was a struggle. Then I tried beveling the base. Similar result....I was able to fit a GC, but again it was a struggle. Then using a drill motor and a file, I cut the diameter of the base down until the GC fit snuggly, then crimped it on with the Lee sizing die. Perfect. I put GC's on several and as I went along, I learned that by tipping the file, I could shape the base to make the GC actially "snap" on by hand then running it through the sizer finished it.

The first picture shows the bullet chucked in the drill motor and the edge of the file. The file edge is smooth to avoid damage to the chuck jaws. Only the bullets base is exposed in the chuck. About 6-8 passes of the file in a spinning drill motor does the trick. The photo of the single bullet shows the GC on a previously sized bullet prior to crimping. The final two photos show finished bullets and one seated shallowly in a .357 mag. case using one of the lube grooves for crimping the case mouth.

It's not a difficult job. I was, while experimenting, able to put GC's on a dozen bullets in about 20 minutes and with more practice, I'm sure that can be improved. I'm retired so time is not an issue. Time to load a few and test them.

fcvan
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
you would have a great deal more luck applying plain based gas checks to plain based boolits. Plain based checks aren't available commercially, so far as I know. Plain based checks are often made from thin aluminum, usually soda can or similar thickness material. For all the work you are doing to modify your boolit to accept the standard check you would be better off trading your factory checks to someone who makes PB checks. Just a thought

missionary5155
02-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Good morning
Some years back I did the same basic procedure here in Peru to turn .410 boolits into usable "heel" boolits to shoot in my 41 Colt model 1895 Colt double action. Slow production rate but it got the 41 Colt shooting and those boolits are still the most accurate boolits I ever shot in that revolver.
Always have a smile for individuals who tackle a condition with plain old "give it a whirl" attempts.
Mike in Peru