PDA

View Full Version : Shipping firearms/ parts

Jim
07-28-2007, 08:41 AM
I understand and know that in order to ship a firearm it must land at an FFL holder. Is it legal to ship firearm parts to someone that does NOT have an FFL?

Forgive the inflection but, my freedom could be on the line here. If you KNOW the answer, great! If you don't, PLEASE, don't give me incorrect information.

Thank you for understanding my valid concern.
Jim

RU shooter
07-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Jim Yes its perfectly legal to send firearms parts to a NON FFL .Only the serialized reciever is considered a weapon and must be sent to a FFL holder,If its not the reciever its just a piece of wood or metal . BUT there are some states that have restrictions on such things a Hi Cap. magazines.

waksupi
07-28-2007, 08:53 AM
The reciever of a firearm is the regulated part. Any parts used to convert a firearm to full auto are regulated. All others can be shipped to anyone.

trooperdan
07-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Jim, we are assuming this transfer is within the US, correct? Other rules apply in other countries.

Scrounger
07-28-2007, 10:36 AM
All correct, only the serial numbered receiver must be shipped to an FFL or the company that manufactured or imported it. You can send a gun back to them for repair without having a copy of their FFL.

Wayne Smith
07-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Technically it's only to an FFL holder if it involves a change in ownership. If it is for repair or re-bluing or to send it ahead for a hunting trip it is not necessary to involve an FFL holder.

jhalcott
07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Wayne ,please esplain "shipping it ahead" I attempted to do this with a firearm only to be told that "IT HAS TO GO TO AN FFL!" by the NICE lady at the post office.

45nut
07-28-2007, 07:27 PM
two years ago I shipped back a case full of pistols to myself so I could use them in PA. I did not try to use USPS, only ffl's can ship handguns via USPS. Rifle's would not have been an issue.

monadnock#5
07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Jim, if your situation is as dire as you allude, find yourself a good criminal lawyer. Monday morning wouldn't be any too soon. The best defense is a good offense, and there's no such thing as a trivial offense when it comes to federal firearms laws.

buck1
07-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I researched this a wile back a bit. There are sooo many laws in play I couldnt be sure of anything so I let my gun dealer do it for me.
But I know the srl #rd part is a gun not a part (frame) , the rest of it are parts.
Theres a big sign at my post office that shows restricted things that can not be mailed ,paint fireworks,& a pic of a handgun. Thats not much but its all I KNOW FOR SURE. You may check the BATF web sight?? if anyone wiuld know it would be them.

crazy mark
07-28-2007, 11:30 PM
I have mailed bolts, magazines (where legal), trigger assemblies, sights and other misc parts with no problems. Antique guns can also be mailed with no problems as they aren't considered fire arms. They had to be manufactured prior to 1899 however. Mark

Jim
07-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Monadnock,
wotinell are you talkin' about?

arkypete
07-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Will be shipping two High Standards off to have a gunsmith work them over.
I'll be breaking them down, frame and barrel, and shipping them as machine parts, if asked.
Like taxes, you will find problems with what you reveal, not with what you don't say.
Jim

racepres
07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Monadnock,
wotinell are you talkin' about?

Your "inflection" I should think!! MV

38-55
07-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Jim,
Parts is parts. If they were regulated you couldn't get stuff from gun parts or midway or sarco or who ever...... You can ship a serial numbered part that is considered to be a firearm to your self. For example say you want to go hunting and ship your weapon ahead you can send it to the guide/outfitter 'care of so and so' addressed to you. Only you can open it or it's postal fraud... Or you can send it to a place of repair and they can ship it back to you. You only have to do the ffl thing if the weapon is changing hands... This is the short version... Our post office ships weapons all the time... Oh and they must go 'next day air'. Ask the nice lady at the post office to produce the regs of shipping firearms for you... Other wise she is just making stuff up that she thinks is 'right'.
Calvin

Scrounger
07-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Jim,
Parts is parts. If they were regulated you couldn't get stuff from gun parts or midway or sarco or who ever...... You can ship a serial numbered part that is considered to be a firearm to your self. For example say you want to go hunting and ship your weapon ahead you can send it to the guide/outfitter 'care of so and so' addressed to you. Only you can open it or it's postal fraud... Or you can send it to a place of repair and they can ship it back to you. You only have to do the ffl thing if the weapon is changing hands... This is the short version... Our post office ships weapons all the time... Oh and they must go 'next day air'. Ask the nice lady at the post office to produce the regs of shipping firearms for you... Other wise she is just making stuff up that she thinks is 'right'.
Calvin

One note of disagreement, If shipped with the Post Office, Rifles can be shipped Priority Mail or Parcel Post; if you ship them UPS, Ground rate is OK. The Post Office will not (should not) allow you to ship handguns at all unless you are a dealer; A non-dealer can ship pistols UPS but it must be Next day Air.

Wayne Smith
07-29-2007, 04:38 PM
I think you have it above. In the federal rules it's the change of ownership that matters. If you ship it to an FFL holder he has to put every gun he receives in his bound book. He's accepting that gun in his name and responsibility. If you ship to yourself at another site there is no conceivable change of ownership, or even custody. If you ship to an outfitter he may want to have an FFL if he does this a lot, but if you ship to yourself at the outfitter's address you are both home free.

None of this counts internationally. The laws of that country count there.

I've never tried to figure out the Post Office rules. Laws and ATF rules are easy compared to the PO!

Haywire Haywood
07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
How about this... it has to ship TO an FFL, but does it have to ship FROM an FFL? I'm currently selling a rifle on gunbroker. Can I ship this rifle to his FFL or do I have to get an FFL here to do the shipping for me? If I can do the shipping, how do I confirm that the FFL paperwork that his guy sends me is legit?

Ian

mike in co
07-29-2007, 06:13 PM
I understand and know that in order to ship a firearm it must land at an FFL holder. Is it legal to ship firearm parts to someone that does NOT have an FFL?
FIRST STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE, ONLY IF CHANGING OWNERSHIP.
THE SECOND STATEMENT DEPENDS ON WHETHER ONE ABOVE APPLIES. FOR WORK, REPAIRS ETC PROBABLY NOT

Forgive the inflection but, my freedom could be on the line here. If you KNOW the answer, great! If you don't, PLEASE, don't give me incorrect information.
TELL US WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....SPILL THE BEANS...OF BETTER YET TELL US WHAT A "FRIEND" OF YOURS DID...WINK WINK........

WAS IT THE SERIALIZED COMPONENT THAT IS CONSIDERED THE "FIREARM", WAS IT OUT FOR REPAIRS OR CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP, OR AN ANTIQUE, SHIPPING FOR YOUR USE ??

NOT AS SIMPLE AS IT SOUNDS

Thank you for understanding my valid concern.
Jim

MIKE IN CO

Scrounger
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Yes, Haywire, you can legally ship it directly to the address on the FFL without paying a dealer to do it for you. Some guys with no cajones are so afraid of getting in trouble they'll pay a dealer to do it for them. If anyone has doubts, just call your local ATF agent and ask him. Trusting soul that I am, I've never doubted that the FFL sent me is valid. I can't imagine anyone spending a lot of money phoneying up a license and risking 5 years in the slammer just to steal my $200-$300-$400 gun from me. Which he had already paid me for it anyway! If it is a transfer originating from one of the auction sites, both buyer and seller have a history of transactions; if he has more than 10 or 12 good reports, you're probably safe. Now if all that didn't convince you, then click on this link which will take you to an ATF website where you can verify the validity of the license you were sent: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Jim
07-30-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm ejukated. Thanks, fellas.