PDA

View Full Version : High Standard Flight King

richhodg66
02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Actually, the Sears flavor of it. Found one cheap ($99.95, but might could get it for less). I'd always heard the Flight Kings were great shotguns and am considering picking this one up for cutting short for a house/truck gun.

Are there any reliability issues? I know I could probably buy a Mossberg or similar for a little more, but I kind of like older style shotguns with steel receivers.

nekshot
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I never heard anything negative other than a little on the heavy side. Mine always goes bang and is as nice a gun to look at on boring days as a shotgun can be.

richhodg66
02-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Some I have seen were very pretty indeed. This one is a base model, J.C. Higgins, I think.

Are the barrels of these easily removed and replaced like most pumps or are they more or less permanently fixed? Seems I'd heard that about High Standards at some point.

nekshot
02-16-2013, 09:17 PM
rich, I never really worked on mine much. I always assumed it would be a bear to seperate the barrel from the action so I never pursued it. Mine has beautiful wood and nice scenes on the metal. I am preparing to cast and shoot slugs in mine in the near future and I will take a good look at it.

Ragnarok
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I had owned one in 20ga...really a decent old shotgun. Well made and wearing nice wood. Mine had a sprung shell-stop when I got it...probably got torqued by a previous owner's reassembly...and required a bit of work to get it bent back to shape and working..but no big deal

TRG3
02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Back in the last 1960s I used one for six years for hunting waterfowl on the sandy saltwater flats in SE Alaska. It was a 12 gauge with a 2 3/4" chamber. On returning to the house, I'd just invert the shotgun, spray it good with WD-40, and sit it in the corner. The shotgun never had any rust or functioning problems.

richhodg66
02-21-2013, 10:52 PM
The finish on this one is real rough, but for what I want it for, I don't care. It was very smooth, ugly, but smooth.

We're snowed in at the moment and it's quite a ways from here, but I may just pick that one up this weekend and set it somewhere til I get around to it. Many irons in the fire right now, but a good pump 12 gauge is one of those things a guy really can't have too many of.

Ziptar
02-23-2013, 12:21 AM
I love High Standard Flight Kings. Best action on a pump shotgun ever, so smooth. I've got two 18-7's one with the standard stocks and another with the really pretty stocks. If the Sears one is like mine that barrels don't change out, they are threaded into the receiver.