PDA

View Full Version : Need a great starting load for 54 cal T/C New Englander PRB

GARD72977
02-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Here is the deal. Im joining a new ML club and I need to take my T/C 54 cal New Englander. Its the only one I have that I can shoot in the monthly shoot. I have never shot this gun. I need a good load with the powder I have. KIK FFF, Swiss FFF and 777.
I had rather use the 777 if I can get a good quick load. I will not be keeping this gun so I just need a quick load for one or two monthly shoots. I had rather save the real BP for the gun im going to buy.

I looking for a more PC/HC gun. Not going HC Nazi but I want a more traditional gun. Looking for a Flinter or a Hawker prec. What do you guys shoot at your monthly shoots. Im thinking 50 for economy but kind of liking 54 also

Thanks for the help

DIRT Farmer
02-15-2013, 12:04 AM
What range?, My load would be 50 to 70 grns of ffg, ticking patch and 530 ball to start.

GARD72977
02-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Range will be 25 to 100yds. I do not expect to be competitive but just looking for a starting load for a gun Im not going to keep. I have been sick and will not have much time to work up a load. I don't have any FF powder.

fouronesix
02-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Given your choices of powder I'd start with 50 gr of the FFF KIK with .530 ball and ticking. Pre-wash the ticking to soften it up- makes loading a lot easier. Get a small squeeze bottle- like the ones sold in box stores for holding mustard or ketchup. Mix up some moose milk and use the squeeze bottle for patch lubing and/or applying to patches for bore swabbing. Take lots of pre-cut cloth patches for the swabbing/cleaning between or during the various shooting activities. I use strips of old tee shirt (or whatever old soft material at hand) for that type cleaning/swabbing material. Take a good range rod with the right sized jag. Take all the tools necessary for managing a ML- like screwdrivers, small wire nipple pic, nipple wrench, etc.

GARD72977
02-15-2013, 12:35 AM
good advice. I just want to learn and have fun. Its more fun when things are not going wrong!!!

fouronesix
02-15-2013, 12:54 AM
:mrgreen:
I can almost guarantee something will have a hiccup. There will be other shooters there to help and advise if needed. Before you go try to shoot the ball and patch combo some, if for no other reason than to get an idea of how the ball loads after a shot or few of fouling and how to manage that and how often swabbing/cleaning is required. The other thing to think about is how to manage all the loading accouterments (powder, balls, patches, lube, caps, etc.) while on the shooting line.

GARD72977
02-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I have a couple of days to shoot at 50yds. Just looking for help. There is a guy with a 54cal there for sale so I may have a new gun that day. Just looking forward to getting started in a ML club

OverMax
02-15-2013, 02:37 AM
I prefer my 45 T/C Hawken over the 54 cal. I have also. But when using the 54. It's a .10-rd patch smeared with Wonder Lube. Then pushed down the barrel with a 535 home cast ball. For a charge. Gorex 2-FF at 90-gr. fired up by a musket nipple & cap. An accurate enough loading to have tipped over a few deer for me at a little over a 100 plus yards. Perhaps its T/C factory Round Ball Barrel helped a little also. (w/ 1-66 twist) I'm more of a traditionalist here. I'm proud to say. Patched Rd Ball is all I ever use Sir. Good luck with your choice OP.

bob208
02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
rule of thumb. to start shoot the cal. if it is a .50 start with 50 gr. a .54 start with a 55 gr. it has worked for me. aand i find it is my most auccrite load.

deerslayer303
02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
My .54 GPR shoots Dang good with 80grs of KIK FFFg, .535 RB, .010 ticking patch lubed with tallow/beez, set off by musket cap. Like balls in the same hole good!

BLACK3
02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
I have used 55- 90 grains of powder depending on what I am gonna shoot at. With either a 54 or a 56 cal T/C. I use the higher loads to deer hunt and lower loads when I am plinking for accuracy info.
good luck