PDA

View Full Version : .45 colt/PENN, 270 gr. Wadcutter loads.

dustoff451
07-28-2007, 05:43 AM
I just purchacsed a Ruger New Vaquero in 45 Colt . I've been advised by Ruger,Inc. that 'only cowboy action loads' should be used in these revolvers.

I've also been advised by the folks at 'Buffalo Bore Ammunition' that their 255 gr. SWC moving out at around 1000 fps in a 5.5 inch barrel, is safe to use in the 'New' Ruger.

Has any one hand loaded any of 'PENN's 270 gr. wadcutter (Thunderheads) in the new ruger?

Any assistance would be very helpful. I've found some data, but the info was for a ruger REDHAWK - Quite a different animal.

shooting on a shoestring
07-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, I think you need to get a couple of reloading manuals. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good one. Hogdons in magazine form is also cheap and easy. You probably won't find a 270 gr listed, but you surely will find 250 or 255 data. You will see "Ruger Only" loads. They are for Redhawks and Blackhawks, not new Vaqs. Look in the other data, for the Colts and the rest. Since 270 gr probably won't be listed, I'd suggest you use the starting load data for 255s.

That 255 load at 1000 fps sounds very heavy for the new Vaq. Lyman shows 250s and 255s running about 550 to 800 fps. Of course its the pressure not velocity that is really the limiting factor. I suppose Buffalo Bore could have a slower powder that could keep the pressure down.

I'll bet your 270s over about 6.5 gr Unique would get you shooting. But thats just my opinion, no pressure testing...ah, standard legal stuff applies.

deadguy
07-28-2007, 09:47 AM
You could also try blackpowder if you want decent velocity with tolereable pressures. The Ruger New Vaquero is stronger than the original Colt SAA, which originally used a 255-ish grain bullet on top of 40 grains of BP, good for around 950 fps. So, you'd think that you'd be able to do better than 800 fps in the New Vaquero, using the right powder load and watching the pressures, of course.

44man
07-28-2007, 03:57 PM
The new Vaquero is still strong and any load listed for a Colt is perfectly safe, PLUS. I have the old one and shoot awful heavy boolits and loads for deer. I am not going to tell you what load a friend shot with a 335 gr LBT with no pressure signs in his old one.

singleshotbuff
07-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I personally think Ruger screwed the pooch, as far as reloading data, by introducing ANOTHER Ruger single action in 45 Colt with a DIFFERENT strength level than the others.

Just seems to me loading manual publishers had a difficult enough time differientiating firearms by strength as it was when there were only SAA clones and Rugers. Now there are Rugers, and there are RUGERS. I just hope the manual publishers don't shy away from publishing high end loads out of fear that some knucklehead will use them in a weaker Ruger.

I'll quit ranting now, just my $0.02 worth.

SSB

SharpsShooter
07-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I personally think Ruger screwed the pooch, as far as reloading data, by introducing ANOTHER Ruger single action in 45 Colt with a DIFFERENT strength level than the others.

Just seems to me loading manual publishers had a difficult enough time differientiating firearms by strength as it was when there were only SAA clones and Rugers. Now there are Rugers, and there are RUGERS. I just hope the manual publishers don't shy away from publishing high end loads out of fear that some knucklehead will use them in a weaker Ruger.

I'll quit ranting now, just my $0.02 worth.

SSB

I have to agree that this is all we need, another revolver strength level to be concerned with....Oh for the good old days of Colts and clones for the weak stuff and Rugers, Smith N-Frames or FA / BFR's for the rest.

dustoff451
08-05-2007, 12:52 AM
I want to thank all of you for this valuable info. I'm starting to load for the Marlin 45-70 and as with the .45 colt we have to watch ourselfs.

My father loaded up some 255 gr. SWC with a powder (type and charge that I don't have with me at this time)for the .45 colt and he said they were pushing about 950fps and the recoil was a little stout without any signs of primer flattening.

I also used this load in a 4 3/4 in Umberti and a Ruger Vaquero (old?!?)with a 3 3/4 in. barrel.

I gotta' get some smooth stocks, like on the old Ruger and the Umberti, as the pistol will be easier to shoot.

Again thanks for the info and I'll start low and slow by the manuals!

Dale53
08-05-2007, 01:04 AM
The prudent thing to do with the Ruger New Vaquero is very simple. Just use data for Colt .45's. The New Vaquero is in the pressure class of the modern Colt single action and this should not be exceeded for long life and a happy shooter.

Save your heavy loads for OLD Vaqueros. I personally see no problem here if common sense prevails. Of course, as always, there will be those who should not be trusted with a granite block...

Dale53