PDA

View Full Version : home made Cartridge Brass etc

aro
02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I have been wondering on how to make my own bullet cartridge, the proper way, not via a mill or lathe

or if its even possible to do, i had a friend whos grandfather had a old bullet cartridge press he had a 3 part press, that he homemade over 30 years ago, one to compress the sheet metal sheets together needed, another to extrude it into shape, and i never knew what the last part did, it was designed for a antiquated bullet type, and the last part i never saw in operation as it had been broken and never repaired "i think he salvaged bolts from it and never got around to replacing it" last week i found out his grandfather sold it for scrap metal

so i missed my chance to get a reasonably working means to make bullet cartridges, and now have a renewed interest to see if its possible to make proper high quality bullets by hand using a sheet metal press, a swagging press and maybe a die of some kind

any advice would be appreciated

perotter
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Get the book "Ammunition Manufacturing" by G. Frost. That will tell you enough to get started. It covers shotgun, rimfire and centerfire. It give metal thickness to start will, size of each draw, etc for several different cases.

The book is only available used. Or there are downloadable online versions.

nhrifle
02-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Any links to download this book?

sprinkintime
02-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Any links to download this book?

I don't have a link to the book but I have a book by George Frost, called Ammunition Making it was a publication of the NRA. The last printing #2 was in 1992. I believe I purchased my copy on Amazon .

Sprink

savingprivateyang
02-15-2013, 03:42 AM
http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=27924.0

These guys are discussing it right now. You may have to creat an account to view it, but trust me, it's well worth it. (not just for this subject, but for anything related to guns.)

Wayne Smith
02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Your post confuses me a little. Are you talking about making the brass case or swaging bullets? Making the brass case is a multiple die process with several annealing stages involved. You are talking at least a hydraulic press, not something muscle operated. Making bullets, even the cases, is a much simpler problem. Check out BTSniper posts in the swaging section for this information.

perotter
02-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Making the brass case is a multiple die process with several annealing stages involved.

Making a brass centerfire case by the method that the factories use isn't a cheap or quick project to do "just for fun".

What was in the first post might have been for some old small rimfire. The 1st would be blank and cup. The 2nd draw and the 3rd station would be for heading.