PDA

View Full Version : Australian Shepherd

Bret4207
07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Seems we're adopting an Australian Shepherd, neutered male, less than a year old. He's a little different than our Border Collie. Once we get him settled down I hope to try to see if he'll work. Anyone had any experience with herd dogs? Our Border Collie male was fair at herding, in a rough way. Our female BC is a circler and we've not been able to break that habit, she a bit flighty and doesn't take discipline well. She sulks something fierce. Neither would handle cattle. I used a Lab for that, no circling, but no fear either!

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any info to offer. Thanks.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
07-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Bret I had a female australian, no herding, but she was the toughest dog I have ever seen, and always looking for something to do.
Good luck with him settling down, mine never did in 5 years I had her.
I would think if he gets the idea what you want, you will have a winner, they "aim to please".
When I had to move, I tought mine her boundries in 10 minutes just by whistling her back at the boundry, sharp dogs. full of energy.
Thanks for the memories, Nick

Buckshot
07-28-2007, 04:09 AM
...............When I lived out in San Timoteo canyon there was a family (Rick and Jackie Cerevelo) that had a ranch on the east end of the canyon, maybe 8 miles from my house. They raised registered Texas Longhorns. I don't remember now what I was needing but it was to pick something up. At the door Jackie said Rick was across the field at the irrigation pumphouse and to go on out.

Well there was a problem. There were those Longhorns in that field. I said I wasn't comfortable going out there and she laughed and said she'd go with me. I said she better be able to run fast as if any of those critters showed an interest in us I was going to be up on her shoulders.

Naturally when I drove up I was greated by the 2 ranch dogs, both Australian Shepherds named Jake and Toomey (or Too me. I never asked :-)). So when we went though the gate both dogs were with us. Jackie had said something about the cattle and I just said my grandmother had said some bad stuff about bulls and I didn't feel like chancing it.

There were maybe a dozen cattle off to our left and several were watching us. Come to realize later, they were probably watching the dogs. One dog was at either side of Jackie and just trotting along with their tongues lolling. Jackie said, "Watch this"

Then she said, "Jake! Toomey". Both dogs snapped to attention and their eyes were on her. From her hip, without raising her arm she just made a swishing motion with her right hand. Both dogs took off like they'd been shot from a cannon, straight at the cows. Now the cattle that had been watching us raised their heads, and I swear I could see thier eyes get big.

In a split second like a covey of quail those cows were running flat out with those 2 dogs nipping at their heels. Jackie put her two little fingers in her mouth and produced a shriek that must have been like the lunch whistle at Bethlehem Steel. Both dogs made an immediate U turn and were back in position on either side of her in a second.

Now I don't know if they'd been trained to actually DO anything with the cows but I was impressed.

Up in Cedarville, CA where Deputy Al and I have hunted ground squirrels, it's all ranch country. Everyone drives a pickup and lots of pickup flatbeads. They ALL have the ranch dogs standing in the beds, or up on top of a load of alfalfa bales. Never saw anyone doing anything with them but the vast majority seemed to be Australian Sheperds, and mixes thereof. Medium sized, and energetic.

When my daughter was about 2 years old one of my wife's co-workers gave her an old Australian Sheperd. His name was Gus and while Donna said he was supposed to be about 5-6, I think he might have been closer to 10 or 11 years old and about as fat as a 15 gallon kegger. He was a very good dog, but he was just that. He was very kind and easy going, and put up with a lot of ear pulling and such nonsense that a little tyke will dish out. He'd just get up and wonder off to be away from it.

He finally got kind of senile I guess, and a bit crippled up. Donna called me once and pointed to the pipe corral with Barney, one of our mules. Ole Gus was out there walking in a big circle with Barney right behind him. Every so often Barny would nudge him on the butt and knock him over. The poor ole guy had trouble getting up. I shortly afterwards had to put him down. He was just a very pleasant old guy, and I don't think he had a mean bone in his body.

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
07-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Well. this "out of control, high energy" dog seems to be quite a gentleman. No real vices we can see and still a bit nervous. I think the problem was the former owner. He's playing with the kids and the cat right now.

BTW- The previous owner is getting a chocolate Lab pup for her daughter today. We'll probably end up with that one in 6 months. Wish I could get her to pick up a Boykin Spaniel like my old Gus.