PDA

View Full Version : Powder asking prices

Hardcast416taylor
02-14-2013, 11:25 AM
I just had it thrown in my face that I obviously don`t get out much! I just for the heck of it looked on Gunbroker in the reloading section. WOW!!! There are dealers, obviously, listing single 1 lb. jugs of IMR - 4320 or Varget or other types of powder with a STARTING price of $99!!! These same people have small pistol primers starting at $70/K!! Are these people serious about thinking that there are reloaders willing to bid on these insane starting price items? The simple answer is, Yes, there probably will be takers later on when this buying frenzy dries up every dealer inventory.Robert

cephas53
02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Indeed seems to be allot of takers. Would guess some are newcomers to reloading caught up in the frenzy. Scary part is reading some of the reloading sections on other boards. Glad I have a private place to shoot and won't be standing next to some of these people.

Love Life
02-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Which powder is best for 9mm? No I don't own a reloading manual. You mean powder manufacturers have websites?

runfiverun
02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
i think gunbroker is the biggest trendsetter in jacked up prices, people see those
numbers and think well if that's what it sells for...

i remember the clinton runs and things got tight but when you found stuff it was just marked up to the new price not tripled.

41 mag fan
02-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Let them buy it. when things settle down, they'll be kicking themselves for paying high prices

Shooter
02-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Let them buy it. when things settle down, they'll be kicking themselves for paying high prices

That is if the prices come back down. I don't think they will go back to what they were.

gnoahhh
02-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't see it around here. Shops I have been in had decent selections of powder and primers for non-inflated prices. I picked up a can of 2400 last weekend for $22. It's the .22's, 'assault rifle' ammo, and handgun ammo that disappeared from the shelves and which have insane price tags at the local gun shows. One guy had empty one pound plastic containers that originally held snack foods, re-filled with bulk .22 ammo (holding, I would guess 500+ rounds) and priced at $100+-- and people were buying them.

The thing is, as long as people pay those nuts prices, the gougers will continue to gouge. Law of supply and demand. Wait a couple months and things will iron out. Don't get into a 'panic' mindset. Believe me, the ammo companies sense a high demand for their products and will strive to expand their output- they want to cash in too. When the supply again exceeds demand, prices will fall back to where they should be. Again, the law of supply and demand.

km101
02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I just noticed last night that Powder Valley is showing some of the more popular pistol powders and shotgun powders to be "In Stock" again. Probably wont last long, but they were there last night. And the were at the SAME price as BC. (before craziness)

mpmarty
02-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I guess I'm on the flip side of this craziness. I just sold all my Pfizer stock and bought a thousand shares of SWHC (Smith & Wesson holding company) Bought it two days ago at $9.17 and it's up around $9.50 now I also own a thousand shares of OLN (Olin Winchester) which has more than doubled in a bit over a year. I guess that's my form of panic buying.