PDA

View Full Version : Headin' south

Jim
02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
My Moma is living in an assisted living facility in Charleston, SC. My brother called me yesterday to ask if I could come down for a few days to help him with Moma's house. We've got to get all the possessions out of it, clean it and get it ready to put on the market.

Moma took out a reverse mortgage on the property several years back. Now that she's moved out of the house, the mortgage has matured. So we've got to sell it to satify the mortgage.

I'm gonna' take my laptop with me, but I expect my participation here might be hampered a bit.

Harter66
02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Jim,
Glad to hear she is well enough to be in asst'd living. I don't envy you the task of sorting through a lifetime. It is 1 I'm dreading. My Mom is a pack rat and my Dad is a low grade hoarder.

Safe travels!

km101
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Jim, take care on your travels. As stated above, it wont be fun work, but it will bring back many memories and maybe even a few tears! I had to do the same thing a few years back. You just have to tell yourself it's necessary, and get on with it.

I'm sure that "the boys" will look after the home place while you are gone! Just lock up the booze before you go. :)

Be Safe

1Shirt
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Jim, been thru the routine twice. Once was a good experiance where every family member was in agreement, and got it done in a weekend. The second was not so pretty good, and was/is a long drag out deal due to personalities. Hope yours is like my first one. Good luck!
1Shirt!

WILCO
02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Safe travels Jim. Are you taking Mr. Bill with you?

Jim
02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Safe travels Jim. Are you taking Mr. Bill with you?

Nope. I'm leavin' him here with a loaded 12 gauge door gun. What worries me was him asking if I had the coroner's cell number.

1shirt, you couldn't get a wedge between my brother and me with a big hammer and help. There won't be any problems other than logistical.

Olevern
02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Jim,
prayin' for traveling mercies for you; stay safe out there on the road.

Jim
02-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Jim,
prayin' for traveling mercies for you; stay safe out there on the road.

Genessee tower, whiskey xray 9142, roger sir, clear.

JeffinNZ
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi to your mother from the South Pacific.

Jim
02-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi to your mother from the South Pacific.

Moma still doesn't understand the technology that allows us to communicate world wide. She'll be thrilled to hear regards are sent from the other side!

Blacksmith
02-16-2013, 03:46 AM
Jim
When my brother and I went through dads things we first asked if either wanted something. If neither did it went in the sell/donate pile. If one wanted it he got it. If both wanted it we flipped a coin. If there was a lot of similar stuff we would lay it all out and flip to see who went first then took alternating turns each taking his pick one at a time. He got some things I wanted I got some he wanted but it was fair and no hurt feelings.

Remember you can use donations to charities to reduce your or your mothers taxes if you have enough deductions to make itemizing worth while but there are special tax rules so you might want to review them.

It won't help with this April but will next April. Be sure to get a receipt. The Salvation Army has a donation valuation guide to help you estimate the value of donated goods:
http://www.satruck.com/ValueGuide.aspx

Also look at IRS Publication 561:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p561.pdf

johnnybar
02-16-2013, 04:30 AM
Sorry to hear that your mom isn't as independant as she once was. But, glad to hear that the sibling closeness is there...it helps. Best wishes for things to go smooth.

stubshaft
02-16-2013, 04:53 AM
Best wishes to you on your travels buddy.

Jim
02-16-2013, 02:29 PM
1:30 PM, Saturday-

Due to unforeseen circumstances that have evolved in the last four hours, my trip to Charleston has been cancelled until further notice.

Please know that I very much appreciate the encouragement, support and prayers for safe travel from all that have responded.

square butte
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
We are headed to the west coast at the end of March to do the same with my Mom's house. She passed in August. Going through everything is not a job I am looking forward to. Thank God for my dear wife Victoria. She is a real solid trooper. Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Nursing professor of 34 years plus. She's just someone who can be counted on when the work gets tough. Wish you all the best with your chore when the time rolls around.

WILCO
02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Genessee tower, whiskey xray 9142, roger sir, clear.

CB radio?

WILCO
02-16-2013, 04:00 PM
1:30 PM, Saturday-

Due to unforeseen circumstances that have evolved in the last four hours, my trip to Charleston has been cancelled until further notice.

Is Mr. Bill okay? Did George try to bushwack him with an empty J.D. bottle as he was leaving the armory room?