PDA

View Full Version : Double Action Postal Match & 1911 Ballistic Challenge

slughammer
07-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Double Action Postal Match & 1911 Ballistic Challenge

Double Action Postal Match
6 rounds double action, cast boolits only.

Any aiming point, shooting standing off hand, shoot for measured group size, ALL SHOOTING DOUBLE ACTION

6 Divisions:

Point Shooting, 7 yards, barrel length and sights optional, one handed, waist level, no useing the sights

Snub nose 10 yards, barrel length 3" and under, iron sights only

Normal gun 15 yards, barrel length 6" and under, iron sights only

Ray gun 25 yards, optics, ribs and barrels longer than 6” accepted here

He-man Irons, 50 yards, iron sights (Yes, DOUBLE ACTION) (no restriction on barrel length for the 50 yard match)

He-Man Optics, 50 yards, optics (Yes, DOUBLE ACTION)

Targets post marked by Sept 17. On each target include; board handle, gun, division and load info. Send a PM for Address info

Any aiming point, pick the one that works best with your eyes and sights, shooting is for group size. (blank paper is fine, aiming point optional).

Shoot as many as you want. It's all about getting out and shooting. You do not have to declare a target in advance. Take a 5 gal. bucket of ammo to the range and get some shooting done.

1911 Ballistic Challenge, we all know these devices shoot at 7, 25 and 50 yards. Let's test the equipment and see just how good they are for serious work at 100. If you don't have a 1911, feel free to enter this masochistic event with any other service grade or carry type piece. Extra points for style. (5 rounds)

100 yard standing (stand on your hind two and shoot like a man)
100 yard benched (think of it as using cover; fence post, truck hoods and even shooting benches with sand bags are acceptable).
Pictures of large targets, or your tales of woe are welcome additions to this thread; feel free to tell your Ballistic Challenge story.

The 1911 Ballistic Challenge we run as an internet match. Post a picture of your target and the measurements right here in this thread. Enter more than once. Anyone without access to a camera or scanner can mail their target to me and I’ll post it for them.

Send a PM for mailing address. Bribes are welcome and encouraged.
The matches run until Sept 17, 2007.

wiljen
07-27-2007, 06:43 PM
do 1911s group at 100 yards or is it more like patterning a shotgun at that range?

slughammer
07-27-2007, 07:02 PM
do 1911s group at 100 yards or is it more like patterning a shotgun at that range?

HAR! They group just fine. Check out the results from last year.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=9800

wiljen
07-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok, now I gotta find out if the Taurus 1911 can do any good at 100yds.

Curly James
07-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay,

I'm in for this one, I love my S&W revolvers. CJ.

Steve Collins
07-28-2007, 10:04 AM
OK, I'm leaving for R&R tonight, I'll have to get some quick shooting in while I'm home, this sounds like too much fun. Besides, I've got a brand new pair of custom Herrett's grips for my S&W m19, so let's see how they help. :drinks:

David R
08-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I like the double action part and the snubby thing. I have one and will shoot as many matches as I can.

I still have the signed target from last year.

David

robertbank
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Sorry honey but I have another postal match to shoot.:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

slughammer
08-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Hardly any time for me to shoot my own match yet. Just had the K38 apart and stretched the yoke. Need to get out and test it some to see if it made a difference.

slughammer
09-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I just got the kids back in school this week so I had some time to shoot before going to work on Friday.

Shot a few targets at 15 yards with the 6" Model 66 and the Lee 356-125-2R, sized at .358, lubed with Thompson Blue Angle, ACWW at 130gr and powered by 4.5gr of American Select. Hmm, I was doing better a few weeks ago; yesterday I managed to pull a shot in every single 15 yard group.

Then I shot 2 targets at 50 yards. First one was on a sheet of 8.5 x 11, but I only managed to get 5 on the paper. Second group was on a sheet of 11 X 17, and all 6 scored, so I have at least one entry! Group was not that wide, but strung vertically. This is great practice for follow through. I swear I could go to the range and shoot DA at 50 yards every day if I had the time.

I think I'll make a special range session this up coming week. Take out a few of the hog legs and shoot up a bucket of ammo. I better go make sure I have an extra box of staples.

I think its time for some of you other guys to get shooting.

imashooter2
09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Got out and shot a few targets on Wednesday. Seems that for me, the biggest challenge in the Ballistic Challenge is finding a backer big enough to catch all my shots. I'm pretty sure I hit the earth with most of them though. It was quite a hoot and something I'd never done before. Maybe next year...

Got a target for the Point Shooting, Snubby and Normal Gun shot. Tried the He Man irons, but needed a rest to get everything on paper. A few 5 shot targets, but nothing for record. I'm going to pretend that was because it was the last match shot and I was tired from all that time at 100 wishing shots onto the backer.[smilie=1:

Anyone else got targets in the mail?

slughammer
09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
For the ballistic challenge I started off standing, but was only getting 4 out of 5 onto the paper. So then I put up 2 pieces of paper sideways to shoot a benched group. All 5 came in for 6.8” !

My benched group showed me where I was hitting, so when I shot the standing group I held a little to the right to compensate. I was then able to get all 5 onto paper standing. Point of impact is higher for the standing group though, I guess it was a slight change in grip pressure and looking over the sights differently that made the difference. Standing group was 7”.

Load was 4.7gr of WST, Mixed Brass, Winchester Primers and a 200gr HG 68 BB, lubed with Thompson Blue Angle (Hard Lube), sized .452.