PDA

View Full Version : Mongol Rally Adventure

ktw
07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
This is one of the better vacation ideas I've run across in quite some time.

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/

Maybe in the future, after the kids are out of the house...

-ktw

9.3X62AL
07-28-2007, 01:43 AM
"Shop Mongolia"??

There's a similar adventure available right here in the god old USA--no passport, no dysentery, and the roads are better. Cell phones even work (you are roughly parallel to I-8).

This is the desert area just north of the U.S./Mexico border between El Centro and Yuma. Only about 100 miles, decent fishing in the All-American Canal, and more than enough bandits, bodypack smugglers, coyotes of both 2- and 4-legged varieties, and newly-arrived yard care technicians and motel maids to thrill even the most jaded adventurer. Temps currently are running a few degrees either side of 110* F (46* to 48* C), so parkas and layered clothing aren't needed. Sunscreen, water, and four spare/filled 30-round mags for the Mini-14 or AR-15 (already charged with the fifth) are strongly encouraged.

ktw
07-28-2007, 07:34 PM
"Shop Mongolia"??

There's a similar adventure available right here in the god old USA--no passport, no dysentery, and the roads are better. Cell phones even work (you are roughly parallel to I-8).

That doesn't sound similar at all. If you are looking to fly without a net you need to leave the net behind. Fairbanks, Alaska to Punta Arenas, Chile might be similar.

I don't think the objective of the rally is to reach Mongolia. Any fool with enough money can accomplish that in relative comfort. The objective appears to be surviving an attempt to drive from London to Ulaanbaatar in a car with an engine displacement of 1 liter or less (or motorbike of 125cc or less). Style points given for leaving London woefully unprepared for the trip.

The objective is to survive and come home with a great story.

This is not a whole lot different in principle from what we do with a $50 milsurp rifle, a bucket of wheel weights and a jug of pulldown powder. Who cares if we ever get it to shoot into 2" at 200 yards. We learn one hell of a lot from the attempt and usually have a good story to tell afterward.

-ktw

redneckdan
07-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey todd, do you think my wifes toyota would make it?[smilie=1:

ammendment- I just got smacked so I think thats a no...think we could ride double on da honda?

ktw
07-30-2007, 09:39 AM
The Honda is way too big. So is the Toyota. Max of 1000cc on the auto, 125 cc on the bike. You need to think more along the lines of a couple of clapped out Vespas.

The Legend of Wayne
http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/index.php?page=history06legends

-ktw