PDA

View Full Version : Hay, I'm just starting out and I was wondering what I needed to get.

Bob-da-Builder
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm just starting out and I was wondering what I needed to get to make bullets for a 30-06. Like what type of molds, books, lead, smelting pot. Its all new to me and I like to do my research before I get into anything.

turmech
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Welcome, first step read the book ingot to target free download in the stickies. Best place to start in my opinion

GRUMPA
02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Bob, besides the stickies another thing that you might want to think about is trying to find someone local. Most folks wouldn't mind having someone over to learn the trade or give some actual hands on training. There's a few members on this site that live in the same state as you, just a thought.

02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbooks, either the 3rd or 4th editions, will tell you everything you need to know to get started. They cover all aspects of casting: safety, equipment, material, the casting and reloading processes, and loads.

williamwaco
02-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Are you just starting reloading? Reloading with cast bullets? or both.

First thing: Be very careful about You Tube there are some very dangerous videos on there.

Here are some I think are safe for beginners:

http://reloadingtips.com/index-recommended-videos.htm

For cast bullets.

This is a very good starting place.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=loansoftwarec-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B004DWBKQY&adid=14NY9997NHK0X84G00Q5&&ref-refURL=

runfiverun
02-13-2013, 11:17 PM
i basically learned when i was a kid from watching a neighbor do it and trying it myself. [i was around 8 or 9 at that time]
i still have some of those first boolits i made.
later i got the lyman book read it about 19 times and didn't understand half of it.
i finally bought a pot a mold and a lyman sizer got some lead ww's from my neighborhood tire store and gave it a go. [used my lee pot and my dad's propane torch to melt the ww's in]
the results weren't perfect, so i tried something else,and something else again.
i finally made a reasonable facsimile of a boolit, they even made holes in the paper reasonably close to each other.
i read through the book one more time and started putting things together better.
so i bought another mold and size die.
dad took notice and wanted in on the free boolits,so he bought a star sizer to speed things along.
i figured out a cast iron dutch oven and a propane cooker would melt the ww's faster and i could clean them better. [yeah big revelation]

quilbilly
02-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Here is a good start list for the 06 in my opinion and there will be lots of others:
1. Lyman casting book
2. Lee 10# lead pot
3. Lee 309 sizing die (boolit lube comes with it)
4. Lee mold of your choice
5. 30 cal gas checks
6. 20# of wheel weight lead
7. 3-4 pkg of tin fishing splitshot sinkers from Wal Mart (one size 4 shot per pound of lead)
The cost will be about $150 to make up your first 1000 projectiles. Enjoy. At them moment some of these things are rather hard to come by like the mold, sizer and maybe the gas checks.

nhrifle
02-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Welcome aboard. I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned, but Lee's 2nd edition reloading manual has an excellent tutorial on casting boolits, as well as all aspects of reloading. Yes I know they make shameless plugs for their gear. Ignore those. The techniques work across the board.

The equipment lists mentioned are excellent. I advise the Lee 200 grain 30 cal. mould. When starting out, I think you will find it best to stay at or over 180 grains boolit weight. The Lyman 314299 has given me excellent results for when you are ready to upgrade your mould.

Get yourself somethig to flux the lead with. I use wax, others here like wood shavings or sawdust.

10mmShooter
02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Welcome Bob, are you new casting ?? or new to reloading in general??