PDA

View Full Version : .357 Handi, Customized

Jack D
02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I joined this forum to learn more about casting for my .357 rifle and SP101. I've been casting for light target loads in .3.57 and been successful. My loads are mostly 158 gr. SWC, Lee tumble lube with 3.0 gr. Trailboss. I haven't tried this load in the Handi yet.

My .357 Mag. Handi Rifle is featured here along with some of my loads using XTP's and FTX's

357MagnumRifle (http://www.metalsmithpro.com/357MagnumRifle.htm)

OBXPilgrim
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the site.

I read through your blog. Some interesting load developement. Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.

I'm not so sure I'd consider .357 mag brass in the same strength level as 357 Max though.

badgeredd
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Man, that is a interesting concept! I bet it is Handi (pun intended). I noticed some pretty interesting numbers in the ballistic charts. Good job.
AND yes, welcome aboard.

Edd

Jack D
02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the site.

I read through your blog. Some interesting load developement. Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.

I'm not so sure I'd consider .357 mag brass in the same strength level as 357 Max though.

Thanks. The proof is in the doing and I've been using those loads for some time now. No case failures yet. They will fail at some point as all cases will after lots of reloads. I suspect that magnum cases and Maximum cases are very similar in strength. It's the chamber that contains the blast and the case expands to seal against the chamber wall. Work hardening of the brass is what causes failures under normal conditions.

Your Piping Plovers must be similar to our Marbled Murrelet. We have large areas of our beaches and adjoining forest closed during the entire Summer so they can nest unmolested by our foot falls. It's OK if four footed critters molest (except dogs).

Thanks Edd

Whiterabbit
02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
yep, max loads in a mag ase work. I've also been doing it. Just need to find the right load that shoots the same POI as mag and 38+p.

Here are mine, far left is gunshow 357 reloads, next to it my 357 max handload.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59324&d=1358906826

Jack D
02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
I did what everyone told me I could not do. I put gas checks on bullets not designed for GC's. The bullet is the Lee Tumble Lube design.

I got the gas checks this morning and promptly went to work. I tried rounding the base of the bullet and it worked, but not very well. Too easy to go too far. Next I tried beveling the base of the bullet. Again, it worked with similar results as rounding. Then I cut the base down parallel to the bullet axis until the GC fit snug, but not too tight. This is just like the bullets that are cast for GC's. It works beautifully.

I did this by chucking the bullet in my 3/8" drill motor so that just the base that I wanted to downsize was protruding and using a smooth edge file (so as to not damage the chuck jaws) I spun the bullet while pushing the file acroos the base in the opposite direction of the spinning bullet. Like a miniature lathe. This tends to plug the file, so I kept my file card close. It wasn't difficult, but is time consuming. I'll be looking for faster ways to do this.

What this gives me is a bullet with lots of "cannelures" to crimp into and I can seat the bullet shallow for more powder. As you can see in the photo is that this gives me ~3/16" more powder room and a strong crimp to secure the shallow seated bullet and a gas check to get the velocities up.

At least that's the theory.

Whiterabbit
02-14-2013, 07:22 PM
try putting chalk in the file next time and let me know if it gums up less.

kbstenberg
02-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I like the way you mounted the bi-pod. Could you show with pictures and a writeup on how you did it.

Jack D
02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
QUOTE=kbstenberg;2059738]I like the way you mounted the bi-pod. Could you show with pictures and a writeup on how you did it.[/QUOTE]

The pictures are almost self explanitory, I think. I made the Bipod from tubing. The rail under the forearm is cutdown from the original scope base. Then I used standard 1" quick detachable scope rings to mount the bipod to the rail. Simple. Not very useful for hunting, but for bench rest shooting it works very well. And it was cheap to build.

612736127461275[

Jack D
02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Don'y have any chalk, but tried WD40 and silicon. Either one made cleaning much easier.

mr_nice_guy228
02-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Jack D, I ran up on your site a few days ago and it has really got me considering shortening my new Handi. I just can't see too much that the 22" barrel would be better for, Not that it's too much of a burden to have it long or anything. I just like the shorter packages.
Right now I have a bargain scope on it but I'm considering very hard on shortening it to 16.5", recrowning, and putting a set of rifle sights on it.
Great work on the 357 man!

Jack D
02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Thank you. I enjoy tinkering. Since I'm retired, I need projects to keep my mind busy.

Catshooter
02-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Good work Jack.

I do love my Handis. Don't have a 357 but they are very popular over to the GrayBeard forum.

One tip I'll give you was taught to me by an old machinist I served under: throw the file card away. The steel wires on it are spring tempered and tiny. The file of course is hardened also but them little teeth will abrade the file over time. Especially keep your files away from wire wheels for the same reason.

I use a brass bristle brush to clean all my files same ones also clean the tops of my steel moulds.

Cat