PDA

View Full Version : 45cal round ball good for small game?

wildchild2010
02-13-2013, 02:02 PM
45cal round ball, mini, maxi to much for rabbit, squirrels.

Rattus58
02-13-2013, 02:24 PM

45 caliber roundball is good for any game that it can get through, and get through it usually does! The only gripe anyone can have with a round ball is that it loses speed too quickly due to its simple shape... as elegant as it isn't. Round balls are accurate and for the average shooter, less recoil, less drop, and less powder required to get to optimum in most barrels in my opinion. Beyond 100 or 125 yards, I question the shot and though I know that some game has been taken by expertly lucky shooters at up to 300 yards, it's the long conical that bests that job of the round ball supremely.

Small game... up to the size of mule deer.... I don't see why not... you do your job... that would be hunt... get close, and know your shot, you should be comfortable hunting any game with a 45 round ball.

The foregoing from the lover of round balls and huge long heavy conicals.... :-D

Sergeant Earthworm
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM

No question, .45 PRB is good for small game. Most shots will probably be about 50 yards or less, so power will definitely be enough. With an accurate rifle and the right load I pity the cotton or bushy tail that crosses your path. Might take a bit of experimenting to find the right load. Like Rattus58 I am a big fan of conicals, but our forebears used round balls in .30 and .36 for big game.

Head shots would definitely be optimal, as ball through the quarters or middle would ruin a lot of meat (not that there is a lot to begin with).

gnoahhh
02-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Speaking as one who has shot rabbits and squirrels with a .45 PRB, I'm not a huge fan of it for that purpose. Even with drastically reduced charges meat damage is impressive, not to mention the need to re-sight in and low MV making longish-ish shots 'challenging'. I much prefer a .32 (in the past) or .36 (currently) for small game. I reserve the .45 for deer hunting and target shooting anymore.

Rattus58
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Speaking as one who has shot rabbits and squirrels with a .45 PRB, I'm not a huge fan of it for that purpose. Even with drastically reduced charges meat damage is impressive, not to mention the need to re-sight in and low MV making longish-ish shots 'challenging'. I much prefer a .32 (in the past) or .36 (currently) for small game. I reserve the .45 for deer hunting and target shooting anymore.

Why not just load your gun with #6's or 7's for close shots? :-D

Hanshi
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
The .45 has been my favorite for decades. Great for deer and loaded down a bit it will take nice head/neck shots to bring down squirrels.

Rattus58
02-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Ok... that was a facetious quip I suppose... especially with a fast twist rifling... but I've read of a number of accounts of just such mostly with longtwist 58's, and most roundball guns are (mine are 1-70) I'm wondering just how much of a donut hole you'd get with a shot cup an shot.

DIRT Farmer
02-13-2013, 09:56 PM
My 50 flinter loaded with 60 grns is on at 100, with 35 grains at 30 yds. Head shots on squrriels don't damage much meat.

Boerrancher
02-14-2013, 08:11 AM
with a squirrel, you don't even have to hit them. Just shoot the limb or tree trunk right next to the squirrel. I have taken many squirrels that way while out with a 50 cal when I was younger. You know how kids are, no deer but lots of squirrels, so lets go home with a mess of squirrels. Never mind had I been a bit more patient I probably would have seen a deer.

Best wishes,

Joe

saintdel
02-15-2013, 02:57 AM
I believe that's called "barking".

GARD72977
02-15-2013, 03:10 AM
I thought "barking" was what I hear when I bring a new gun home!!!!

Rattus58
02-15-2013, 01:07 PM
I thought "barking" was what I hear when I bring a new gun home!!!!

Hahahahhaa..... :cool::drinks:

garbear
02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
I load my junker 45 cal with 40 grains and a prb. sighted in to about 25-30 yds. been a great for cottontails.
Garbear

deep creek
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Here in east idaho we have lots of sagebrush and lava rocks, the bunnies love it.Id take my t.c.50 hawkins with a prb and 50 grns of b.p. and walk the rocks.On a sunny day the bunnies would be sitting out soaking up the winter sun.It was a hoot to see one aim and shoot then wait for the smoke to clear to see if you had a rabbit!It was just alot of fun.At home wed dress them cut them up and shak and bake them.Damn i think ill go hunt some bunnies!!:-D

Wayne Smith
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I know for a fact that if you hit a turkey at the base of the neck with a 50 cal. roundball you get to eat the turkey!

deerslayer303
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't know about squirrel but I've taken a rabbit with out putting a hole in him. Its Weird I guess they have a heart attack. I had a bunny fly out of the briars and I shot behind him with the 12 ga. and he rolled up DOA. I was like huh? Upon inspection no holes! We often laugh about that day! I scared him to death!! haha

Hanshi
02-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I just traded and lucked up on a little - Mike Lange built "rugrat" rifle; I'm about the size of a typical 11-12 year old - .45. this little "fun rifle" will certainly find use in the squirrel woods and maybe deer woods as well. When I first saw a pic of this rifle I KNEW it was a perfect fit for me. I generally don't get particularly interested in percussions but this one spoke to me; guess I'll have to break down and give it a name. This will be ideal for small game with a .440 prb at 1100fps to 1200 fps.

wildchild2010
02-18-2013, 02:44 PM
The .45 has been my favorite for decades. Great for deer and loaded down a bit it will take nice head/neck shots to bring down squirrels.

As for deer will it be good to 100 yards if the shooter did their job?

Thanks

wildchild2010
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Can you use lead shot of the .45 rifle or will it dink up the riffling?

Hanshi
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
The farthest I killed deer with a .45 prb is 75 yards and got full penetration. If I couldn't get any closer and was confident of my skill and the rifles ability, I'd probably take the shot. Yes, a good hit WILL kill the deer.

Rattus58
02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Can you use lead shot of the .45 rifle or will it dink up the riffling?I don't know... I have shot shot out of my zoave ... If I was to use it for personal hunger, I'd at least wrap it in a patch over a wad, which I use anyway. Spiraling shot leaves the center open so you'd have to learn the shot patterns to be effective, but any port in the storm I say... :D

beemer
02-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I have shot a bunch of tree rats with a 45 PRB, I only had one ML at the time and made use of what I had. The rifle was set up for 25 yds. and a .38 spcl. case was used for a measure. The vel. had to be low but it got the job done.

Today I have a .32 a .40 and a .50 but no .45, maybe that will be my next build.

Dave

Hanshi
02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I've shot a couple of squirrels with deer loads in my .45 and can say, without hesitation, that it's a no-no. Lighter loads with head/neck shots are a whole nuther story. I killed a fox squirrel with a prb in a .58 Zouave, once. I aimed for the neck and was rewarded with a small hole going in and a small hole going out. No more damage than a .22LR. The trick is where you hit them and a bit of letting off on the throttle.