PDA

View Full Version : Lee auto disk powder measure - getting between hole sizes

DrCaveman
02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Have you guys figured out any great way to get a lee auto disk to drop 'in between' powder charges?

For example, disk .53 drops at 4.0 gr. Disk .57 drops at 4.4 gr. I want to try 4.2 gr.

Any ideas, other than permanently enlarging the .53 hole?

Thanks

Recluse
02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Different powders weigh and measure differently, even with the same cubic volume displacement. The powder disk system has worked well for me ever since I first got it with a Pro1000 back in 1988.

It is a compromise at times because you cannot change powder charges by simple tenths of a grain in terms of single tenths--instead, it usually a change of two or three tenths of a grain at a time.

If you enlarge one of the holes to suit one powder, you'll need to stick--in all likelihood--with that powder only for that particular disk opening because it will change the weight/charge for any other powders you may happen to use.

However, the disks are inexpensive and you could purchase several sets of them and do some experimenting.

For me, I've found that it is very rare that a simple tenth of a grain makes any measurable difference in any of my loads. When it gets down to that precise of a powder charge, there are other factors involved such as case prep, case thickness, crimp, precise diameter of boolit, lube, which primer am I using, etc etc. . . . and then of course, it all boils down to my firearm and how well I am shooting.

Powder charge is only one of many variables involved in accuracy and consistency.

:coffee:

john hayslip
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult to design and make an adjustable disk. Back when I was loading shotshells I had the same problem with MEC powder bushings. We'd put a small piece of masking tape on the inside of the larger cavity and measure and try until we got what we wanted. Took awhile but it worked and was reversible. I don't know whether they are two different powders or what but I was trying to load some Universal Clays using the Clays line on the instruction sheet for the powder measure and their information was way off - I was looking for 6.2 and got 8 something.

gefiltephish
02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
I wonder if it would be practical to drill and tap into the side of a hole and use a screw to decrease the volume of the hole and it would be adjustable, just screw in or out as needed. Do this for each disk hole. Could cause bridging with some powders I suppose. Food for thought?

Rooster59
02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Lee offers an adjustable disk that can be inserted by itself or in tandem with a standard disk to facilitate fine adjustments. Can't remember the name but it is still available.

gefiltephish
02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
^Adjustable Charge Bar (ACB). It has it's faults but can be made to work ok

wlc
02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
^Adjustable Charge Bar (ACB). It has it's faults but can be made to work ok

Care to comment on the faults? I'm thinking about getting one for my turret and would appreciate any input.

DrCaveman
02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
That ACB looks interesting. Guess I should have looked to lee for the solution. At only $9, seems worth trying out.

Tapping a screw in there would work to reduce the volume, but I think you are right about it causing bridging with some powders...exposed threads, the sharp lip of the bolt head vs smooth plastic sides of unaltered cavity.

Maybe I buy a spare (third) set like recluse says, and also get the ACB. Wow, those are actually in stock at midway!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2013, 02:59 PM
I have used artists tape (it's a little thicker than Duct tape).
putting a small piece inside the disk, has reduced the drop.
trial and error to how large of a piece to put in there.
Jon

dragon813gt
02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I have had nothing but bad luck with the charge bar. Lee states that it's not good for small charges. That's why the make the microdisk. My charge bar has not been consistent. In theory it should be extremely consistent. But in reality I get to much variation between charges. There are plenty of people that use it with great success. I am not one of them.

gefiltephish
02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
It's only a problem for doing small charges. Has to do with the hole being effectively off center. When the ACB is in position under the hopper, the non moveable end is partially blocked, thus making it far more difficult to fill when the adjustable part is close for lower charges. The chunkier the powder the worse it is. This is far easier to see than to explain in words. The fix is really simple though. Glue or epoxy some material (I used 2 layers of thin non corrugated) at the non moveable end effectively moving the hole out from under the edge of the hopper. The cc numbers on the thimble become meaningless (regarding Lees chart) but they're pretty useless anyway, except for future referrence. There is a thread (with photos) on fixing the ACB at loadmastervideos.com, but it's difficult to find. Probably best to sign up there and ask.

gefiltephish
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Found it: http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=582
There's 4 pages in the thread with photos and even includes comments from Ranch Dog.

joec
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I've gone to double disks and even triple using the micrometer as the top on both double and triple setups. I've found I can often get within +/-.1 gr of what I want consistently. Now if you can do the math it isn't hard but I use a spreed sheet originally done by Ranch Dog that has been modified to add the micro disk, micro meter and 3 disks. The pictures below shows it the Lee Pro Powder with the 3 disks setup. I might add it works pretty good at least for me even with some powders it is supposed to have problems with.

dragon813gt
02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
How did you get the microdisk to work on top? I didn't play around with it much. But at quick glance I didn't think it was possible because of the "bar" it slides on.

DrCaveman
02-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Joec

What sort of charge volumes are you dropping with that setup? I am looking for precision from about 1.5 cc down to .4 or so. Seems this is the more difficult range, though it is encouraging to hear all the success stories.

I use the PPM for all rifle charges, which happen to be my only charges over about 18 gr. My heaviest charge for auto-disk use so far has been about 18.5 gr, I used the 1.4 cc slot I think. I also remember using the very largest hole size for a trail boss load of some type.

Another question: you have to get some longer bolts to use triple disk, right? Mine doesn't have nearly enough extra length for triple, probably not even double.

220swiftfn
02-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult to design and make an adjustable disk. Back when I was loading shotshells I had the same problem with MEC powder bushings. We'd put a small piece of masking tape on the inside of the larger cavity and measure and try until we got what we wanted. Took awhile but it worked and was reversible. I don't know whether they are two different powders or what but I was trying to load some Universal Clays using the Clays line on the instruction sheet for the powder measure and their information was way off - I was looking for 6.2 and got 8 something.

I don't remember which way it went, but their charts were based off of one type of press..... I THINK it was that they used a progressive for their chart data, and if you used a manual (600jr) you'd get a couple grains more powder than they listed the bushing for, due to all the banging around settling the powder in the charge bar....

BTW, Lee DOES make a micrometer disk for it, or you can use the "pro kit" to stack disks to get more adjustability.....

Dan