PDA

View Full Version : Single Six Liner?

joatmon
07-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Anyone ever put a barrel liner in a 22LR SS to improve accuracy? With all the different brands and lot# I've tryed I think a liner might of been and still be alot cheeper. I wonder if one sized for LR instead of mag might do the trick.

shooter93
07-27-2007, 10:41 PM
That's a good question and my guess is it would work. Assuming you have good cylinder alignment and cylinder gap and it's just the barrel that's the problem. I haven't done a SS but I've relined dozens of rifles with Redman liners and they all shoot empressively. I have had several custom 22's built and the liners shoot as well as the rebarreled ones.

leftiye
07-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Sounds like it could solve the problem of a constriction in the threads through the frame area too. Does anybody know if these constrictions can be caused just by tightening, or are they about oversized threads due to using a die to form the threads, and/or a tap on the frame?

Bret4207
07-28-2007, 08:10 AM
I think I'd start at the beginning and analyze this. Check line up, then the chamfer at the breech end of the barrel. Then clean the barrel really good and see just where the constriction is. You can either lap it out with a lap and rod or probably fire lap it. You may have to play with the fire lapping procedure to get what you want. The last thing I would do is go to a liner without trying all this first. For that matter sending it out to have the frame/barrel threads chased and re installing the barrel may remove some of the tight spot.

44man
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Very few reasonably priced .22 revolvers shoot good. You need to spend more money for one that does. It is so much harder to make a good one for some reason. I always go to an auto for the .22.

Nueces
07-28-2007, 12:08 PM
The Starrett dial bore gauge tells me a lot of stories about 22 revolvers. I have older Ruger SSs that go 0.227 in the throats. An early K-22 is as large. The smallest Smith is a M-63 that goes 0.2241-2. My tightest rimfire revolvers are all old Colts, to wit:

Officers Model Match = 0.2221-2 (Wowee!)
Diamondback = 0.2230-2
Police Positive Target = 0.2234-5
Early Trooper = 0.2239

Tight and consistent. 'Twas a revelation when I measured these. Now, I carry precision tools to gun shows. I get occasional funny looks, but fewer dogs follow me home.

Mark

joatmon
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have an auto and it is one reason I want to improve the SS, the auto show's me how accurate a handgun should be. I'll cerosafe the cyl and decide from there. If the liner could be arglassed in and throated while inframe (drilled while out?) thread constriction should not be a problem.