PDA

View Full Version : rebarreling a Remington RB

augercreek
02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I have a rb that was a 7mm and the barrel is totally erroded away.So I would like to rebarrel it to 7.62X39. Can this be done? Where would I find a barrel?
Your brother in Christ Jerry

elk hunter
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
It wouldn't be all that difficult to do, but you probably aren't going to find a threaded and chambered barrel that just needs screwed on to your action. You can use an easy to find 30 caliber blank, and shoot .308 bullets instead of the .310 bullets the 7.62 x 39 uses. It will need to be threaded, chambered and properly fit to your action. Since yours is a 7MM the extractor should work.

augercreek
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
I do have a machine shop and can do the work my self,just was wondering about chamber pressures? I only shoot cast lead so I didn't think the pressures woul be too high. Some have said that rollers are not strong enough? I have two of them,one a 30-30 the other a 444 Marlin.The 30-30 one I hope to rebarrel as I need to restock it anyway, plus I accquired a 219 Savage in 30-30 so I don't need two of the same caliber. Who would you all recomend to buy a barrel from?

elk hunter
02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I hadn't considered the pressure of the 7.62 x 39 round and I'm sure it is quite high.The rolling block should be good for a maximum of 45000 psi, I wouldn't want to run it any higher though. Even at that pressure you can get case stretching due to the small amount of slack in the pivot pins for the breech block and the hammer.

If it were me, I would probably just re-barrel to 7 MM as I have a rolling block in 7 MM and find it a joy to shoot. I have only used jacketed bullets as I don't have 7 MM mould and don't shoot the rifle enough to justify one.

As for a brand of barrel I've had good luck with just about all of the more common ones, even the cheap ones sold by Midway. I do use Douglas and Montana more than the others.

John Taylor
02-14-2013, 09:47 PM
I have used several of these barrel, can't beat the price. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/greenmountainspecials/762-x-51mm-raw-unturned-rifle-barrel-blank

BCRider
02-18-2013, 01:32 AM
The information I've seen about the old late 1800's RB's is that they are only good for up to around 26K. I'm not sure if that's PSI or CUP. But either way it's low pressure by today's smokeless rifle rounds for the most part.

Looking at the re-loading data on the 7.62x39 I'm seeing pressures of up around 40K. But then so is the .30-30 round. So if the receiver has managed to last so far then converting YOUR rifle you have over to 7.62x39 should be doable. It also suggests that your receiver is made of sterner stuff.