PDA

View Full Version : cut or not?

randyrat
02-13-2013, 09:05 AM
MY question...I have a 7 1/2 " super Red hawk I want a mountain gun but can't find one and if i could can't afford it right now.. Would it be stupid to cut mine to 5 1/2".
I think it would make it into a real nice shorter range deer gun. 5 1/2 seems to be the right length for balance and lot handier to carry? I could still put my scope on it, I measured.
Would I ruin it? value
would it be a stupid custom gun nobody would want?

KCSO
02-13-2013, 10:21 AM
You make wat you want and what you need. I cut a 41 mag Ruger to 4 3/4 fr a fellow a few years ago for his trail gun and now his son is carrying and shooting it and loves it. Do a quality job and no one willl notice or care. The only caveat will be that the front sight needs to be pinnned and silver brazed in place to hold on the magnums.

RG1911
02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
What KCSO said.

I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk shortened, replaceable blade front sight installed, and the cylinder fluted. I'm sorry I ever sold it. (The work was done by Austin Behlert before the feds questioned his paperwork.)

Richard

1Shirt
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Yep, KCSO is dead on the money. Love shooting the long bbl revolvers, but for carry, it is hard to beat 4" or so, and you don't loose that much in the overall.
1Shirt!

elk hunter
02-21-2013, 11:12 AM
A handgun to me is compact enough to be easily carried, has a 5" or shorter barrel and is carried in a belt holster. Again to me anything with a longer barrel is a carbine without a butt stock. I sold as unwieldy my 7 1/2" SBH and bought my current SBH which came from Ruger with a 4 5/8' barrel and the small grip frame. Love it, it's my carry gun when walking in the woods.

Ed K
03-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Would it be stupid to cut mine to 5 1/2".Would I ruin it? would it be a stupid custom gun nobody would want? No, no & no. I've always admired this one:

gandydancer
03-02-2013, 02:41 PM
If its a job well done I think it adds to the value of the firearm. GD

MBTcustom
03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Hey Randy, this is the way I see it. If you are that concerned with building guns for other people then you need to get an FFL and do it more often LOL!
What's the purpose of having a gun that doesn't do what you need it to do? That is your gun and you are the one that will, and should, appreciate it.
I tell folks to decide whether you are going to collect it, or use it. If you're going to use it, then use it! make it your own! Invest in it, and don't give a second thought to what anybody else thinks (or will think) about it. On the other hand, if you are intending to sell it so that another person can make it their own, don't even shoot it. Guns are kind of like underwear that way LOL!