PDA

View Full Version : Swaging .224 bullets- Cheapest option for dies

Skeet_Man
02-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Kinda intrigued about swaging my own .224 bullets from .22LR cases. Assuming I already have the press to work from, who is the cheapest source for the necessary dies, and would would the cost be? I see Corbin is $833, which is WAY more than would ever make sense or be practical to spend (considering the break-even point on them would be about 5000 bullets, not factoring in your time), but I could be interested if something more affordable were available. I've read there are more economical alternatives, but I haven't had any luck finding them, or determining pricing.

BT Sniper
02-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Boy......that is the million dollar question latly, the 22 cal swage dies are very popular right now. If one had to look at it in terms of money spent vs. return in # of bullets made vs. buying commercial then not many would ever swage their own. One is better off to look at what is the best investment for the long term rather then practical or affordable for the short term. I may be bias of course but ask anyone that makes their own bullets, no matter what calliber, if they are concerned in the least how many bullets they make towards a return on their money spent. For most of us it is a joyful hobby, there are certainly worse things to spend our money on. Now days ask any swager if they are happy they can/will be able to make their own bullets, the answers you get might be PRICLESS!

As for the cheapest right now.... probably Blackmon. Then again it all depends on how many bullets you want to make and how fast. Lots of variables. I would like to think my new Nitride dies will outlast any other steel die currently availble but my initial cost is a little more.

There are only so many of us that have these dies to offer right now. I know of maybe 5, there are one or two that make dies from carbide but if $800 is too much, Carbide will be way out of reach.

Some questions I'm still not sure of..... does any one know for sure if Corbin offers 22 cal swage dies that will funtion in a standard reloading press any more? I know they did but heard rumor no longer. I have been impressed with RCE's Sea Girt press and I am certain I would be pleased with his dies too, of course I think mine are pretty darn good as well. Then you got to consider the long delivery schedules.

We swage our own because we enjoy it. The freedom it permits us from those that attempt to regulate our shooting needs is all the reason or return on our investment that many of us will ever need.

22 cal dies are not cheap, they have to be perfect!

Good shooting and Swage On! Spread the word! There's no better time then now to make your own no matter who's dies you choose!

BT

nhrifle
02-13-2013, 02:54 AM
I think you summed it up pretty well. No, there is no cheap option. Yes, it is expensive to purchase the necessary tooling. However, let us look at the current situation. There is a very real and drastic buying spree right now brought about by the panic of the public at large finally taking off the blinders and seeing what is happening as well as what is coming. There are those on high who seek to remove from us one of the things we hold dearest -- our shooting heritage, which is something that enriches my life much more that I can properly put into words. People are coming out in droves and buying everything on the shelves at rates that far outstrip the manufacturer's ability to replenish. The ammo is almost gone. The reloading components are almost gone. And what can be found, is found at a drastically higher price than at any time in recent memory.

The dies and related tooling are not just a purchase, they are an investment in our future. With them, we will be made free from the constraints of selecting from the commercial offerings and paying the prices they deem we must. We will be able to make what we want, when we want, and in whatever quantity we want.

Brian, I for one will be eternally greatful when you have finished my dies and I am able to start providing for myself in one more way.

DukeInFlorida
02-13-2013, 07:28 AM
If you are younger than 40, you should be making an INVESTMENT in a good die set, at any price. It will be a set of tools that will reap rewards for the rest of your life! Like any reloading equipment does.

I'm well past 40 (I have sneakers older than 40), and still see the investment benefit to buying BT Sniper's $1200 complete set!

The $800 Corbin set that you think is too high is NOT as complete a set as BT Sniper's set is. BT's set is still the best bargain, when you consider what it all includes!

rasto
02-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Nowadays is monopol regarding selling swaging dies. From time to time, somebody new come to offer his set of swaging dies. I was the one of the happy ones which bought complete .224 swaging die set for 300$. Those dies are not available by now.
So you have three posibilities buy new set from BT_sniper, buy used ones or the third wait for other ones made in more affordable price.

MIBULLETS
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Corbin does still offer his "kit" for doing this. I think it is in the $800 range, but as Duke said, it doesn't have all of the tooling that BT includes in his.

Reload3006
02-13-2013, 02:38 PM
The least expensive set of "quality Dies" is from Dr. Larry Blackmon. You can buy a set of swage dies for 380ish and a rockchucker conversion for 95.ish so your in to what you have to have for under 5 barely. now for the derim set 75, by far you least expensive route.

Lizard333
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Richard Corbin's dies are top notch. They are not as high priced as his brothers, Dave Corbin. Your turn around time is usually quicker as well. You can get everything you need including lead tip dies, different ogives, jacket trimmers, rebated boat tail, and the 22LR jacket maker. I have all of them and they are very well made. His walnut hill press is more than adequate for your swaging needs.

Email him about inventory and time line, as he seldom has the correct inventory listed on his website.

sargenv
02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
At this point, if I could afford Brian's Dies, I'd get em.. but that is the problem.. with wife going into business for herself, she pretty much removed our second income.. so any purchase I make has to be vetted and/or I need to sell something highly desirable to finance any other large purchase.. I too was able to get the inexpensive die set previously offered, and am working with it using some of the stuff I'd previously picked up from BT.. I know I am doing things in a somewhat unorthodox fashion, but it simply works for me.. BT does have some very nice swage dies and if i had the cash available, I would not hesitate to pick up a set of the 22 swage dies.

fredj338
02-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I went back & forth on this. I don't shoot a lot of 223 but like being self sufficient. BT's dies just flat work so far. The auto eject is easily worth any add'l. cost, it really speeds up production, at least w/ core swaging. The Nitrade coating will make them even better. At current bullet prices & availability of plinking bullets, the dies are looking like a bargain @ $800. If nothing else, the bullet could be a great bartering item in really bad times.
CS is another reason to go with BT. He has been very attentive in getting me setup & going on a press he is not familiar with. I doubt you get that with Corbin or another die maker.

csmopar
02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
yeah, plus you'll be able to make your own bullets IF they ever ban the sell of lead bullets.

Thetraveler
02-16-2013, 10:09 PM
well here is another wrinkle to that equation hard to quantify. Right now you can't even find manufactured bullets for reloading in my area and most of the large web sellers are out as well.

Utah Shooter
02-17-2013, 12:45 AM
I am not outta .22 cal 52 gr FBHP projectiles. Never will be again. God I love being able to make my own.

FWest
02-17-2013, 08:43 AM
AL Floyd can make all but the point form for a reasonable price.

onomrbil
02-17-2013, 09:31 AM
There's a guy in NJ: Hawk Bullets. Google that and check with Andy. He makes rimfire jacket stuff and a variety of swages that are affordable. You see them on E-bay from time to time. They're great for beginners.

DukeInFlorida
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
HAWK bullets are "LEAD" bullets, and not jacketed. Made more for paper patching.
Swaged? Yes....

Jacketed? NOPE.......

Utah Shooter
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
AL Floyd can make all but the point form for a reasonable price.

Yes he can. They work pretty good too. He is the one who got me into doing this. Really good guy.

MIBULLETS
02-17-2013, 09:11 PM
HAWK bullets are "LEAD" bullets, and not jacketed. Made more for paper patching.
Swaged? Yes....

Jacketed? NOPE.......

He does make half jacket dies as well. Similar to a CH-105 die.

DukeInFlorida
02-18-2013, 06:32 AM
And...... as was pointed out in another thread........

105 dies are NOT suited for turning brass cases into jackets.

It's the 101 style dies that do what most people here seek.

MIBULLETS
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
And...... as was pointed out in another thread........

105 dies are NOT suited for turning brass cases into jackets.

It's the 101 style dies that do what most people here seek.

Yes, that is true. The 105 die will not build as much pressure either since they normally have a bleed hole in the nose punch.