PDA

View Full Version : Wadcutters

Frank46
02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
I have a set of rcbs dies and it comes with two seater plugs. One looks to be for round nosed bullets and the other for semi wadcutters similar to a keith style bullet. Do I need to order a specific seating plug or stem for wadcutters?. Would like to play with my model 15 and some wadcutters. Thanks, Frank

I'll Make Mine
02-13-2013, 08:12 AM
The one made for semi-wadcutters should work well with the full diameter meplats, too -- at least it did for me when I loaded wadcutters in .357 Magnum years ago.

2shot
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
What caliber? Many companies have special seating stems just for wad cutters. I know Redding has them and they just touch the shoulder of the WC as they get seated. Send RCBS an e-mail and see if they have a special WC seating stem for your caliber. I did that with my Redding dies and they sent the stems out no charge to me.

2shot

captaint
02-13-2013, 12:51 PM
I got a separate seater die from Hornady (actually I got 4) for the 38 spl. The wadcutter stem
is just basically flat. So, no big deal, I wouldn't think. I hate adjusting seater stems constantly, and I like to load a few (like many of us) different boolits. This way, I can just set them and I'm
good to go. Much happier... Mike

gwpercle
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
The semi-wadcutter seating stem in my 38/357 dies seat full wadcutters with out any problems,
your's should also....give it a try and see how it works. I seat and then crimp in 2 seperate steps, so am not sure if it will work if you seat and crimp in the same step.
gary

Hardcast416taylor
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I got a separate seater die from Hornady (actually I got 4) for the 38 spl. The wadcutter stem
is just basically flat. So, no big deal, I wouldn't think. I hate adjusting seater stems constantly, and I like to load a few (like many of us) different boolits. This way, I can just set them and I'm
good to go. Much happier... Mike

When I got my Pro - 7 press it came with a set of Hornady .38 spcl loading dies. It did have a few different seating stems, 1 of which was for WC boolets.Robert

45 2.1
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
I think how well the SWC stem works is how well it fits your WC. There are several nose types on wadcutters. I alter extra seating stems to fit on some. Of course there is the exopy plug and insert WC nose intro it for a custom fit also.

Chihuahua Floyd
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
For full wadcutters in the 38 Spl case I just use my Lyman M die turned way out. It's blunt, it don't mark the WC. Then crimp in seperate step with seater removed.
Just what worked for me.
CF

Frank46
02-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Yeah I hate to adjust the dies and seating stems for different bullets. Its a rcbs carbide three die set for 38/357mag. Thanks for all of your suggestions, much appreciated. Frank