PDA

View Full Version : New Here Saying Hello!!!

wjb1260
02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
New here and just wanted to say hello. I reload and am in the process of setting up to cast for my very first time. My best friend cast and he has for some time. I will be asking questions soon.

Woody3
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the highly addictive hobby of casting, swaging and reloading!!!

There are a lot of very knowledgable members here who are eager to share their knowledge.

Woody

LivnDream
02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
welcome feel free to ask questions this place is a wealth of information

joe

Idaho Mule
02-13-2013, 12:13 AM
welcome to the forum, great people and lots of answers here. JW

2HighSpeed
02-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Welcome. I've only been here for a few weeks myself and I've already been made to feel like part of the family. It's a good group with so many wonderful people that will help ya as you need along the way!

Gliden07
02-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Welcome aboard! Ask lots of questions, lots of really knowledgeable people here (I'm not one!! LOL!!).

koehn,jim
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Welcome aboard.

Doc Highwall
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits! The best advice I can give to everybody when asking for a load recommendation is be specific. What gun and what it is to be used for, plinking, hunting, target shooting along with distance. You will get a better answer a lot faster being specific.
Doc.

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Doc Highwall gave great advice but also check out the stickies.

WELCOME to our happy home.

Smitty's Retired
02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits. Like Bill said, check out all the stickies. Look in all the catagories. And if you can, pick up a copy of Lymans Cast Boolit Handbook. Lots of good info all around this site and in the Handbook.

blackthorn
02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Welcome aboard! You are lucky to have a friend who is into casting who can walk you through your first atempts.

wjb1260
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Everyone for the welcome. As for my friend he cast and loads kinda like his Dad did. Not knocking either one lol just saying they shot and now Larry has the old single actions. 44 Mag and 45LC he has a hotplate and a small castiron pot a lead ladle and his moulds. He loads for target and plinking. He dosent lube or size just cast and moulds and reloads. Now all his defense loads he is like myself he buys when the shelves are not empty. I have loaded alot in the past and was out of it for awhile so now I am reloading and getting ready to cast as well.

missionary5155
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Greetings and Welcome to our hangout.
Is that a Dan Wesson in your avitar? If so then another welcome !
Mike in Peru

**oneshot**
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome to our corner of the world.

Artful
02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Hi and welcome, What calibers you going to cast for?

snuffy
02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks Everyone for the welcome. As for my friend he cast and loads kinda like his Dad did. Not knocking either one lol just saying they shot and now Larry has the old single actions. 44 Mag and 45LC he has a hotplate and a small cast iron pot a lead ladle and his moulds. He loads for target and plinking. He doesn't lube or size just cast and moulds and reloads. Now all his defense loads he is like myself he buys when the shelves are not empty. I have loaded a lot in the past and was out of it for awhile so now I am reloading and getting ready to cast as well.

Welcome!:)

Now fillout your profile, and let us know where you're from, so we really know who you are.

Hi and welcome, What calibers you going to cast for?

Yeah, what calibers, for what use?

wjb1260
02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
357 Magnum to start. My cousin shoots too and he is buying his dies and will use my press until he decides if casting and reloading is for him. Someone asked is that a Dan Wesson in my Avatar no it is a 2011 Taurus 357 Magnum 7 shot 4 in. Very Accurate.

TXGunNut
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Wecome to the affliction!

smokemjoe
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
You came to the best place on the web.

wjb1260
02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Good Morning Everyone Just checked and my Casting kit is still on back order but should ship starting today thru the 21st lol oh well good things come to thos who wait,,, I guess... They were out and I had saved a pic of the kit being shown on the site I ordered it from. They ordered from a different site and they had the same pic I had saved to show my friend so anyway today both sites have different pics up same furnace and stuff but has a casting book with it now. Here are the two pics the one with just the orange book is what it showed when I ordered it.

This is what the other site has pictured for it now it was the other pic last week and was supposed to ship sometime starting today thru the 21st of this month and delivered by Mar 1st

I am hoping this is the new kit lol I could use the casting book.

Bad Water Bill
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Welcome and pull up a chair and start reading.

You will never have enough books on the subject.

wjb1260
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Ok I will try to make it quick and as painless as possible lol. I was Army Airbourne Artillary. Dad was WWII Navy( I Really miss the Old Man) He taught me to hunt and shoot, well Dad my Moms baby brother my Uncle Jim and Moms Dad my Grandpa John Grasshopper as everyone called him lol. We hunted (Reloaded Dads Way) and in the early 90's I reloaded and shot 9mm for several years, well I had a 308 and several shotguns and other handguns and lost all that in my divorce but the Lord blessed me with my wife now so it's all good. She bought me for my birthday last year my Taurus 357 Mag in my Avatar pic and my Lee reloading setup and now my Lyman Casting Kit. I love the 357 and want to pic up a good 357 rifle in the future and probablly a good 22 rifle and 22 handgun but for now I am going to learn with my 357. My wifes dad is passed on and he was a LEO and my wife loves to shoot so I am going to look for the perfect light load to load for her to shoot. For me I have been shooting 148 gr CLRN I bought from a lady her dad had he was a gunsmith and gun dealer and I bought a big box of reloading supplies So I load the 148 gr CLRN with 16.2 gr H110. I had some 125 gr JHP and Hogdons load data for it was 21 to 22.7 gr of H110 so I tried it and that 4in barrel kicked and belched fireballs like crazy my Wife so no thanks to those bullets make some milder and she would shoot with me until we can get her something. Works for Me!!!

Ok I hope this was not to painful, Glad to be here and hope to learn alot from everyone!!!

My Load Station!!!

wjb1260
02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=wjb1260;2060662] Here are the two pics the one with just the orange book is what it showed when I ordered it. I ordered the first pic from Amazon and they inturn ordered from OpticsPlanet. So I made some calls and cancelled the Amazon order and placed a new order with Optics planet. I had to pay shipping at Amazon and free shipping at Optics planet plus for cancelling my Amazon order and placing it with OpticsPlanet online today I got an extra 5% off. I bought the Lymans 49th edition Reloading book and with the new order at OP I also got the Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. Everything in the second pic the same price as in the first pic and bought the 49th edition and still spent less money going thru OP. The furnace is different but both hold 10+ lbs. so same size just looks different.

This is the shipping details Description Price Availability*
Lyman Big Dipper Casting Kit, 115V 2800375
LY-GT-2800375 $78.79 Estimated to ship within 5-7 weeks
Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook, Soft Cover
LY-GT-ADFAEA-9816049 $22.89 Estimated to ship within 7-17 days

From Amazon

From Optics Planet

runfiverun
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
i'd just get the book.
and then get a lee 20 lb bottom pour melt pot.
i started with those,i'm on my third book [wore out one totally and gave one away] but still have that same pot.
i have had to fix a wire and re-set the little pont tab for the heat control.
but it's going on 30 years now.

Matt_G
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.

While you are waiting for your kit to ship, you can start reading Glen Fryxell's awesome book From Ingot to Target.
PDF version is here. (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)
HTML version is here. (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

wjb1260
02-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Good Evening Everyone. Matt G thanks for the read. Doing my research I ran across Ingot to Tatget 3 or 4 times and wanted to read it, Thanks. I saved the PDF to my laptop. Ok so Thanks runfiverun for the reply, My best friend Larry reminds me of your statement, His Dad used an old hot plate and a cast iron pot. Had an old solid steel 2 and a half in dipper and his molds,Black Powder pistol and Rifle as well as 44 mag and 45 lc. When he passed Larry got it all. He called me just this week and told me his dads old hot plate finally died, Holy Cow I remember his Dad using it back in Jan 76 when we moved to that area. I had thought of just getting a pot and using 12 cup muffin pans for my ingots. Ok My friend is giving me a 20 lb block of lead he got from his wifes brotherinlaw or something lol (Remember this is Rural Arkansas lol) He took a valve cover off of an old 302 and striped it and made a mold. He would melt the lead and pour it in the valve cover. Its a 20 lb bar or block. He said he didnt ask but the guy works for a trucking company and is in the tire shop and picks up the old lead weights, his company was happy to get rid of the lead they went to zinc. So he thinks it WW but is going to find out and if so I got a good start. I will practice making a few ingots first. Anything I need to know about using the 4 bar ingot mold? I know I will need to clean it good then what do I need to do to keep the lead from sticking? Yes I will read the instructions when my Kit gets in and I am doing alot of reading Thanks everyone for the help and listening to my ramblings lol...

WILCO
02-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Welcome aboard.

Ditto!

MtGun44
02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Welcome. Good folks here.

Spend some time in the "Stickies" section, lots of good info there.

Bill

Wayne Smith
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Ingot mold? If it is dirty clean it, if it is rusty use it. The rust helps the lead release.