PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Reloading Dies

Tamitch
02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm getting back into reloading after 20 years and everything is certainly different! I've decided on a Redding Boss II for my press. Now I'll need a little help on which brand of carbide dies to purchase. I load only; 44 Mag and 45 Auto Rim and I'll use both cast and plated boolits.
Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.

Sweetpea
02-12-2013, 10:47 PM
My vote goes to Hornady. I love em!

429421Cowboy
02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Never had trouble with my RCBS 3 die sets!

Love Life
02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I prefer Dillon pistol dies, but my wallet has my reloading cabinet stocked with Lee and RCBS dies. They all work well for their intended purposes.

MT Chambers
02-13-2013, 01:07 AM
My first choice would def. be Redding dies.

Dan Cash
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
I would reccomend Redding or Dillon. However, the Dillons want the expander which is part of their proprietary powder funnel system. If you are using a single stage press, Dillon with a Lyman "M" die for the caliber would work well but the Reddings have everything you could want right in their green box.

winelover
02-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Go Green! Best customer service in the industry!!

Winelover

km101
02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
I have both RCBS and Hornady dies and like them both. They both have features that I wish were industry wide. My advice is: Buy what YOU like. These days they are all precision instruments and should do a good job.

BRobertson
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
I prefer Redding, their carbide seems to be smoother.
It leaves less marks on the brass, and the case goes into the die with less resistance.
Indicates to me that it is smoother finish or perhaps a harder type of carbide???

I have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, also

Bob

41 mag fan
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm getting back into reloading after 20 years and everything is certainly different! I've decided on a Redding Boss II for my press. Now I'll need a little help on which brand of carbide dies to purchase. I load only; 44 Mag and 45 Auto Rim and I'll use both cast and plated boolits.
Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.

Terry, only about 1 1/2 hrs from you to the south in In.
I use a multitude of dies. After 23 yrs of reloading, I got OCD when it comes to my dies. My sizers I like Lees, my expander on rifle I like RCBS and on pistol I like Lee, just for the powder thru part. On my bullet or boolit seater I like Redding. Just after yrs of playing around I came to like certain dies for certain operations.
Now I've just in the past 3-4mo have tried the Hornady dies on my 45 Colt and 41 Mags, and have come to like them too, but it's hard to give up whats worked and liked for decades now.
One thing I will throw out there, is RCBS IMO has taken a downturn on quality of dies over the last 10-15 yrs. They just feel different and not as sound when picked up and held.
But if I had to go with one set of dies, after just a few times of messing with them would be the Hornady dies...but I'm OCD and it'll be hard for me to not own several dies for a caliber I'm playing with.

lightman
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Theres probably no wrong answer here. I have always been happy with RCBS dies, but they all work fine. I also have a couple sets of Dillon dies and Redding dies that I like. Lightman

EDG
02-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I like Lyman carbide dies for pistol rounds but that is about it.
For everything else I like Forster, RCBS and Redding.

RG1911
02-15-2013, 06:24 PM
I started with RCBS back around 1971 and still like them, although I also use and am pleased with Lee, Dillon, Forster, Hornady, Lyman, and Redding. It seems it's almost impossible to find a bad set of dies.

Just spend the extra bucks on carbide sizing dies. With pistol cases, you won't *have* to lubricate the cases after they're cleaned, but I still like to tumble them while spraying with Hornady One Shot lube. It dries and doesn't have to be removed. It definitely eases operating the press on the resizing stage.

Cheers,
Richard

LUBEDUDE
02-15-2013, 08:29 PM
It seems it's almost impossible to find a bad set of dies.

I'd have to agree with that statement.

Though, I have read from a handful of guys now that have said they feel that the Reddings Are smoother - which is about the only set I Don't own.

40Super
02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I've found a perfect die out of every major brand.
I really like Redding sizers , Hornady and Dillon right behind with RCBS neck and neck.
Seaters I prefer Hornady's New floater, then Redding and Dillon, RCBS.
Expanders are PTX's in the LNL; in single stage are RCBS with the steps like Lymans(made my own), the others are all tied ,most of mine are my own custom.
Crimps = Dillon out front, then Redding, RCBS and Hornady, Lyman

For rifle or bottleneck pistol I go RCBS and Redding, Hornady seater again plan to get some Dillon to try one set out.

dbosman
02-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Lee's carbide may not be as thick as some others, but if you wear out a sizer - that should be telling you something. Like it's time to save for a Dillon.

phaessler
02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
My honest opinion, especially in this period of "panic buying", get what you need from whoever has it in stock, upgrade to a favorite as time goes on. We all have our favorites, and even some of my sets use different sizer/seater/crimp combinations.
However, if suppliers inventory is a sign, and fleabay $120+ 9mm dies continue to happen, use what you can obtain.
Pete

Bonz
02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
I purchased Lee carbide pistol dies when I first started to reload and they do a great job. If one of my Lee dies breaks, I might try a different manufacturer.

Kraschenbirn
02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
For straight-wall pistol cases, I'm currently using Lee (.44 Spl/.44 Mag), RCBS (.38 Spl/.357 Mag,) Dillon (.45 ACP), and Hornaday (9x19) have no complaints on any of them. Actually, the only problem I've ever experienced with any carbide die set was when the carbide insert pulled out of the .45 ACP die body (poor cementing job?) shortly after I purchased it. Dillon had a replacement in my hands within (3) working days and, since that time, that set of dies has loaded well over 100,000 rounds.

Bill

Swede44mag
02-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I have tried others but came back to Dillon.
I had a pistol die that undersized sent the die and samples to Dillon told them what size the Reloading manual said the shells should be they sent me a die to my specifications.
I call that customer service but I shouldn't have had the problem in the first place.
If I cant get Dillon I go with RCBS.

For rifle I go with Redding but they are not carbide.
I do have some older LEE rifle dies they work but I do not like there locking system.

gunoil
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
i mix em all, lee, dillon,rcbs. I do machine work on some of them. And mrbulletfeeder drop dies. Some lyman shell holders. Would like a 1050 one day, but my loadmaster runs like a watch. I believe in dillon crimp dies and lee buldge buster kits. I have a custom order 9mm lee BB kit. And case gauge everthing, even store ammo.

Chuck G
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Redding for rifle and Dillon for pistol . Buy the best you can afford.

wyattjames
03-12-2013, 06:21 PM
i like the dillon the best but my old faithfull are the carbide lees,

jonp
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Not much love here for Lee but for the price they are hard to beat. I have both RCBS and Lee and can't see a difference. Unless I was loading a thousand rounds a week I'd save the money for powder and buy lee's.

Lead Fred
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
RCBS standard for everything, cept me calling card, it uses RCBS black Dies

psychicrhino
03-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Excellent post.

Iowa Fox
03-21-2013, 02:06 AM
One thing I like about Lyman die sets is they have seater stems for so many different nose shapes. Nothing worse than a ugly ring on the nose of a perfect bullet.

tom357mag
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
I purchased Lee carbide pistol dies when I first started to reload and they do a great job. If one of my Lee dies breaks, I might try a different manufacturer.

Me too but have had nothing but good luck with my 20+ year old LEE dies

Gliden07
03-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I've had GREAT luck with Lee Dies there very inexpensive as far as dies go. I've been looking into the Hornady's also they have Titanium sizers vs Carbide! They should even be tougher! Some people on here don't like the Lee products but I had a Gentlemen in the know recommend the Deluxe Rifle dies over the rest out there? I trust him so that's what I bought.

W.R.Buchanan
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Any of the carbide dies will do what you need and the only real difference is the price. However the one thing you do want to do is go the extra mile and get a 4 die set no matter who's you buy.

The 4 die set allows you to seat bullet and crimp the case in two separate operations. There is a distinct advantage to doing this as it allows you to control both operations independently. Witha 3 die set you will eb seating and crimping in the same step. Whereas this works it doesn't work as well as doing those operations separately.

As far as your press choice goes, if you are going to do mainly pistol ammo then a Turret Press might be a better choice. The Redding Boss press is a big strong press that you just don't need for pistol ammo.

Also look at the C&H Pistol Champ. It has four stations is compact and works well for loading pistol ammo. Very reasonabley priced. It also comes with one set of Carbide 4 station dies and a powder measure, and primer installer.

Just some suggestions to ponder.

Randy