PDA

View Full Version : IDEAL 457401 Finally !

GLL
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I have searched for an old IDEAL 457401 for the last 2-3 years without success, but last week I bid on and won a really nice one. Although I paid through the nose for it ($45.00) I am extremely happy !

The bullets have turned out very nicely but I have not had time lately to load any for testing.

These will be primarily for .45AutoRim in my S&W 25 and 625 revolvers.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/57941AEABD2B16E/standard.jpg

Buckshot
07-27-2007, 12:33 AM
...............You do a good job in casting, and taking pictures :-). While that's a nifty looking slug, it's special and desireable attributes are ..................?

..................Buckshot

GLL
07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
... While that's a nifty looking slug, it's special and desireable attributes are ..................?
..................Buckshot

Actually it is just a "nifty" looking bullet that should cut very clean holes in paper. I bought it just as an experiment since the similar Himmelwright IDEAL 429220 in .44Special has been such a accurate target bullet for me (and it makes pretty holes) ! :) :)

Much of my casting is just playing around to see what works. As I get older I do not shoot thousands of rounds of the same bullet anymore. Now I cast up a hundred and see what happens at the range then try something else. Many of the moulds you have modified to HP for me were simply to test various alloys and loads for expansion. It keeps me off of the streets and sure beats taking up golf ! ;) ;)

Jerry

Just for fun here is a photo of Himmelwright's personal S&W .44 HE Triple Lock target revolver:

http://www.fototime.com/D565ADB5ECC5C7D/standard.jpg

9.3X62AL
07-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Agreement with Buckshot here--fine casting and photography, for sure.

If they cast at .457" as advertised, they could work in the fat old 455 Eley and Colt revolvers.

GLL
07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
This mould drops at 0.457-0.458" depending on the alloy. The bullets in the photo were sized down to 0.452" in two steps.

I look forward to experimenting with different loads when "retirement" slows down a bit ! :)

Jerry

Buckshot
07-28-2007, 02:21 AM
................Ah, so there were not really any 'Special Defining Attributes' to this particular slug design. It was just different and you wanted it.

Now THAT I can fully understand, and no further explaination is required :-)

That sure is a fine looking revolver. Do you own it?

.................Buckshot

GLL
07-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Buckshot:

I think "wanted it" does indeed fit in this case ! :)

I bid on that revolver but because of its historical value the price got to more than I could afford ! It was another case of "wanted it" but figured buying food took priority.

Himmelwright was a well known target master of the early 1900's who designed several bullets for target shooting. In hindsight I should have broken down and bought it. The gun is a beauty and certainly worth a LOT more now than when the auction took place.

Jerry