PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here seen Acker's Gunsmith machinist book?

JBMauser
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Midway has this on sale "The Gunsmith Machinist" Book by Steve Acker . I have been trying to get some info on the book to see if it is "worthy" and if it is written at the level of a professional machinist or can someone with some files and guts get something out of this book. Any reviews or comments? JB

Buckshot
07-27-2007, 02:50 AM
.................Steve is a poster on the Home Shop Machinist BB, and also (I believe) on the Practical Machinist's BB. I don't have the book, but I think it's biased toward the people with lathes and milling machines. I get The Home Shop Machinist and Machinists Workshop and he writes articles for both.

You might go to the Practical Machinist BB, then the Gunsmithing forum and ask. Someone there probably has it.

................Buckshot

dragonrider
07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I have the book and it is definately worth the money.

Bardiamondm
07-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I bought mine from Midway, good buy. It does lean toward the lathe/mill crowd, but you don't have to be a machinest to benefit from it. Highly recommended.

JBMauser
07-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the reviews, I think I will order it. Someday I wll have a lathe bigger than my tiny Unimat that I use to make reloading tools. JB