PDA

View Full Version : Garden choices

Charlie Two Tracks
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
JeffinNZ recently posted some pictures of his garden produce. It won't be long till spring and I am needing some good recommendations for what type of tomatoes and peas (climbing) to plant for canning. I haven't planted peas for a long time and they sound really good about now. We had Better Boy tomatoes last year and they were good off the vine but I don't know if that's the best for canning or not. Last year was the first time in 20 years that we canned and I want to get back in full swing this year. We canned a bunch of Blue Lake green beans and they are real good.

dagger dog
02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Charlie,

We have had good luck with the Roma pear tomatoes, great for sauce, or you can blanch remove the skins and can whole or halved.

Gurneys has a new to me tomatoe that is supposed to be good for sun dried or dehyrated I may try them this year for canning, Early Sauce Hybrid.

We usually plant about 4 varieties a Beefsteak type for slicing, a multipurpose as Better Boy, a canner as stated above and some cherry types for salads.

One thing I tried that worked real well was taking what ever was ripe and running them through the food processer until they were liquid pour them in quart freezer bags and freeze. Later thaw and add them to your soups, chili con carne, salsa etc.

mpmarty
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
My garden always has a bunch of cherry tomatoes in it. Garden candy right off the vine. We plant corn and beans or peas together as the corn needs nitrates and the legumes (beans and peas) fix nitrate in the soil. So our cornstalks are climbing posts too. If it ever quits raining here I need to fire up the troy built and till the winter growth under and get ready to plant.

square butte
02-12-2013, 09:15 PM
For tomatoes our best result have boiled down to Brandywine, Sungold and chocolate cherry. All three are graet tasting.

Olevern
02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Nothin' like Big Boys when it comes to tomatoes. Um...what did I do with that mayo and bread?

x101airborne
02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Down here in hot as hades country, the 444 hybrid has come out a winner in sandy hot soil. A medium size tomato that has a lot of flavor and cans well. Works well on sandwiches, in soups, sauces, etc.

For beans, I too like the Blue Lake Bush beans. My favorite for cut green beans, dried shell beans, you name it, it works.

For peas, I like the pink eye - purple hull (cowpea). I grew up with them because you could buy a pound and a half of seed for less than 50 cents when I was about 5 years old. For a green pea, I like the Burpee stringless. Easy to grow, easy to process and tastes buttery and great for over a year after canning. I love gardening and I am always glad to help.

quilbilly
02-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Too cool here for anything but early variety of cherry tomatoes but the deer love our peas so you better protect them if there are a bunch of those four hoofed garden locusts about.

Houndog
02-12-2013, 10:07 PM
We always raise Rutgers tomatos for canning. They get about baseball size, slightly more acidic than some of the other types,(helps with canning) and the vines are loaded! as far as eating tomatos, Beefsteak, better boy, early girl and the orange/red striped tomatos are all good. For Beans we raise Blue Lake or state half runners, for corn it's Silver or Golden Queen and Kandy Cane and for Peas it's sugar peas.

farmerjim
02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Check with your County agent. A tomato that grows great in one soil and climate may not do well in another. I grow about 1,500 plants for fresh tomato sales at my stand and 2 farmers markets. I have been part of several tomato trials done by LSU agricultural extension. Some did great at my farm and poor on others and poor on mine and great on others. Your county agent can help you. It is their job.

waksupi
02-12-2013, 11:09 PM
If you know anyone who grows locally, ask for seeds. The seeds will have started adjusting to your local climate, and in a few years, you will be able to produce plants that are specifically for your soil and conditions.

tward
02-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Many good pea varieties out there, Lincoln is good for freezing. One tip, plant them early, cold doesn't hurt them much but heat sure will! Best crop I had was planted on St Patrick's day, next day we had snow,did not see the ground for 2 weeks. The peas were up about 10 days later!
Tim

Iowa Fox
02-13-2013, 03:28 AM
Charlie, get a Tomato Growers supply co. catalog. Tomato seeds for every climate and growing season tomatogrowers.com or 888-478-7333. I have been using their tomato and pepper seeds for over 20 years with good results.