PDA

View Full Version : NOE vs Accurate Molds

j_dude77
02-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to ask if there is a difference in quality. I have searched the forum and read excellent reviews on each. There are a few designs, that NOE has in stock and there are a few designs that Accurate can cut, that I would like to get. Is this just a case of 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other?

runfiverun
02-12-2013, 05:47 PM
i have some of both,and they both do a very good job of making quality molds.
it will all be in the design you choose.

j_dude77
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks. That is what I figured from all of the reviews.

GLL
02-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Tom at Accurate molds can design just about anything you might need. There are a few limitations. His equipment does require a small flat on the nose and at this time he does not make HP versions.

Jerry

DeanWinchester
02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I have several and I give the edge to Tom. The minimum metplat is a downer but the man is incredible and getting you what you want otherwise. If you see a bullet CLOSE to what you want, describe the changes you'd like and he'll throw you a print in short order. No one else is doing that are they? I was posturing up for long wait times on my first accurate mold as it was a four cavity containing four different bullets. I got it under three weeks. I would not have complained if it had took twice as long especially considering the quality of the mold I got.

j_dude77
02-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I just ordered the 5 cavity H&G 34 copy from NOE, to be safe since these will be running through 1911s, and I have one that is a finicky feeder. I need a heavy bullet for 45 colt, and I already have my eye on a few designs in Tom's catalog. I am not too concerned about the hollow-point capability.

badgeredd
02-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Even though you didn't mention Mihec and Ballisti-Cast, I will. In my opinion, all have their strengths and darn few weaknesses. I particularly like Accurate when I want a mold fairly quickly. Tom is great to deal with and works with you to get the mold you want. Ballisti-Cast is currently producing a group buy custom boolit mold and if the test mold is an example of what we can expect, it is a dandy! NOE has produced great molds with the added option of hollow point molds. I personally don't require hollow points but it is a good option for those that want it. Mihec makes a very nice mold also and I do like the brass molds. So in my opinion we have 4 great sources for custom as well as somewhat standard molds. All four makers hit the target dimensions. It couldn't get much better!

Edd

geargnasher
02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Buy one of each and use them, then you'll know. You're going to end up with more than one mould anyway, right?

Gear

Love Life
02-12-2013, 10:10 PM
That is the best idea I have read in a while GearGnasher.

MT Chambers
02-13-2013, 01:01 AM
I'll give the nod to Tom at Accurate molds, because NOE is mainly group buys and they take forever and i will not go for any of those again once the current ones are done, the quality of NOE is top notch however. From now on I'll go with Accurate, LBT, and Mountain molds for excellent quality and little or no wait, but that's just me.

warf73
02-13-2013, 04:36 AM
I'll give the nod to Tom at Accurate molds, because NOE is mainly group buys and they take forever and i will not go for any of those again once the current ones are done, the quality of NOE is top notch however. From now on I'll go with Accurate, LBT, and Mountain molds for excellent quality and little or no wait, but that's just me.

This is my out look also, NOE makes a great mold for sure love mine. But I refuse to wait a year for a mold or more which is the wait time the last I seen.

reloader28
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I dont do group buys, but when I ordered my NOE mold it was here in about 3-4 days.
How can you complain about that?

ShooterAZ
02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
NOE has begun inventorying molds, no more group buy necessary on most of the more popular molds. If you go to the website, it will list the quantity on hand of what is currently in stock. I ordered one recently, and in came in 4 days.

frank505
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
[I] ordered a 200 grain 40 mold from NOE Monday morning. It will be here today. This was the mold that was turned into a goat rope group buy a while ago.
If I send a bullet to Tom at Accurate, can he duplicate it?

John Boy
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
There are a few designs, that NOE has in stock and there are a few designs that Accurate can cut, that I would like to get. Is this just a case of 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other? Not in my opinion, Accurate out ranks nearly all in quality and design for FN molds ...
I have a 9.5x47R stop ring obsolete caliber Martini action Schuetzen rifle. Three of us on the ASSRA site between a chamber cast and fine tuning a CAD drawing sent it to Tom at Accurate on a Sunday. Tom had the CAD in his catalog, I ordered on Monday and I received the molds the following Friday. I ordered 2 molds and here they are ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Martini%20Schuetzen%20Rifle/IMGP1499.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Molds/Accurate2xBrass95x47R_zps3357e8c9.jpg

Dimensions are dead nuts on and the molds cast superbly ... http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-210R-D.png

texassako
02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Not in my opinion, Accurate out ranks nearly all in quality and design for FN molds ...

Same here, I just took delivery of his adaptation of the Lyman 300136 as a .302" 150gr FN for the 7.35 Carcano. It drops perfect, identical .302" boolits every time I open it from both cavities. Best mold I have cast with yet, and he had the design up in the catalog within a day of me saying lets do it and delivered the mold well before I expected it. I can't wait to order a few more from Accurate.

Please ignore the odd reflections, it is shiny.

GLL
02-13-2013, 06:12 PM
An early custom design AM433270WC from Tom:

http://www.fototime.com/8F95495D13D5995/orig.jpg

Jerry

kweidner
02-13-2013, 06:30 PM
I have both. Both are awesome. Hp NOE gets the nod. Tom makes to order and fast. In neither will you be dissapointed.

Bigslug
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
My first custom mold is an NOE .364-200 for feeding my .38 S&W Webley MKIV - AND IT ROCKS! This was also my first aluminum mold and it instantly cleared up any doubts I had about aluminum as a material. Reaches temperature quickly, minimal tapping to get the boolits free, and very pretty slugs.

My second custom mold is an Accurate 45-230-F for feeding various 1911's - AND IT ROCKS HARD!. Everything the NOE is and even easier to get the boolits out (haven't tapped it ONCE).

You're going to be a happy camper either way. Accurate is going to give you the advantages of being able to spec the mold the way you want it and having almost instant turn-around for pretty much anything in the catalog, but if NOE is currently playing your song, snap it up. NOE's hollow point system is by all reports pretty sexy as well, though I've yet to advance to the HP stage of the game.

Short version - I fully expect to be a repeat customer with both.

Chicken Thief
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
The only thing that Tom Accurate has to limit is no less than .30"cal mould design.
But damn does thay goy has some dynamite up his trousers!
From design to Denmark in 10 days.

Oh and i'm sawing for 3 moulds that i cant get anywhere else, so Tom here's some pocket stuffing comming along ;-)

blikseme300
04-25-2020, 10:01 AM
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

About a year ago I started to get serious about bullet designs for my rifles and have been buying from both NOE and Accurate. I give Accurate the edge as I'm not limited by what is currently in stock or design. The last 2 molds I ordered from Tom were tweaked designs and I received them in less than 2 weeks. The ability to have cavities cut to your individual needs and desires without breaking the bank is priceless.

Huskerguy
04-25-2020, 12:15 PM
I am new to the game of these various mold makers. Having used Lee and Lymans for many years, that is what I was accustomed to. I decided to take the plunge starting with 38/357. I went with NOE, a 360-158 that I drooled over for months before I got time to use it. In the meantime I picked up a nice RCBS 2 cavity 358-150 on this site. I did a little research on who could make a replica of the RCBS mold. Arsenal makes one already, I contacted MP and Accurate via email to find out more. MP got right back with a question which I promptly answered. Never heard from Accurate.

I tested four loads last night and unfortunately, the new NOE I was so hopeful for disappointed me. It lagged far behind the RCBS, Lee TL and even am old Lyman 357446, not known for accuracy. I emailed Al at NOE for some possible solutions.

I am not interested in purchasing molds until I find one that works. As far as service, when I ordered from NOE, it arrived quickly and he even gave me a discount that came on after I ordered.

dannyd
04-25-2020, 01:59 PM
I am new to the game of these mold makers. Having used Lee and Lymans for many years. I decided to take the plunge starting with 38/357. I went with NOE, a 360-158 that I drooled over for months before I got time to use it. In the meantime I picked up a nice RCBS 2 cavity 358-150. I did a little research on who could make a replica of the RCBS mold. Arsenal makes one already, I contacted MP and Accurate vis email. MP got right back with a question which promptly answered. Never heard from Accurate. I tested four loads last night and unfortunately, the new NOE I was so hopefull for disappointed me. It lagged far behind the RCBS, Lee TL and even am old Lan not known for accuracy. I emailed Al at NOE for some possible solutions.

I am not interested in purchasing molds until I find one that works. As far as service, when I ordered from NOE, it arrived quickly and he even gave me a discount that came on after I ordered.

If this the mould you purchased 360-158-SWC-AT3-61. It doesn't work very well in S&W or the old Tarsus (S&W). I can make it work out of a Ruger but the RCBS or SACEO are better.

John Boy
04-25-2020, 03:00 PM
Accurate has a leg up over NOE - Tom will cut you a mold from your design - a provided diagram or send him the bullet.
Turn around is usually 1 -2 weeks and then the design goes in his production inventory
This service is not provided by NOE
Tom has cloned several BPCR molds from bullets or diagrams I've sent him for 'rare out of production' molds
Example: There are only about 3 of us in the US that have a Schuetzen rifle for an 8.15x46 caliber designed in 1880 and lasted for 20 years. On the ASSRA forum,a member has an antique German catalog with the exact diagram of the bullet. I sent Tom the diagram and the mold was at my door step in one week. I found the last remaining brass for the caliber and now an exact clone resurrected a rifle otherwise would have been a safe queen

Huskerguy
04-25-2020, 03:23 PM
If this the mould you purchased 360-158-SWC-AT3-61. It doesn't work very well in S&W or the old Tarsus (S&W). I can make it work out of a Ruger but the RCBS or SACEO are better.

Mine doesn't have any other numbers besides the 360-158 SWC but I looked it up on the NOE site and that is the same mold. It is the aluminum 4 cavity. The mold works great but I was really disappointed when I started testing loads last night. I was shooting four different bullets, all with the same charge and prep and I was consistently in the black off a rest at 50' with the exception of the NOE. I guess I could say it was consistent - to the right, low and spread out, never a group at all. I do have a Ruger, a Colt and some Dan's as well but I am not going to pursue a bullet that does not shoot in my Smiths. I notice on the web site it is listed as a good bullet for 357, it may need to be pushed harder, that is what I am trying to find out from NOE. It is also supposed to be a H & G clone.

What I originally asked MP and Accurate about were copies of the Lyman 358156, the venerable SWC that is noted for accuracy and hard hitting. MP said he thought he had some that were not in his catalog.

Arsenal shows the RCBS copy which I am considering now. I really didn't want an entire collection of bullet molds to fit every need or gun but...........

dannyd
04-25-2020, 04:11 PM
Mine doesn't have any other numbers besides the 360-158 SWC but I looked it up on the NOE site and that is the same mold. It is the aluminum 4 cavity. The mold works great but I was really disappointed when I started testing loads last night. I was shooting four different bullets, all with the same charge and prep and I was consistently in the black off a rest at 50' with the exception of the NOE. I guess I could say it was consistent - to the right, low and spread out, never a group at all. I do have a Ruger, a Colt and some Dan's as well but I am not going to pursue a bullet that does not shoot in my Smiths. I notice on the web site it is listed as a good bullet for 357, it may need to be pushed harder, that is what I am trying to find out from NOE. It is also supposed to be a H & G clone.

What I originally asked MP and Accurate about were copies of the Lyman 358156, the venerable SWC that is noted for accuracy and hard hitting. MP said he thought he had some that were not in his catalog.

Arsenal shows the RCBS copy which I am considering now. I really didn't want an entire collection of bullet molds to fit every need or gun but...........

That's the mold I have same problem went to my SACEO 158. That's the first mold I could not get to work. All I shot is 38/357 have about Twenty molds.

kokomokid
04-25-2020, 06:20 PM
I like both mould makers but Tom has a lot of Eagan copies in his catalog and they shoot just as well as my Eagan original mould.

Cherokee
04-25-2020, 06:32 PM
I have Accurate and NOE 5 cavity molds for handguns. Both are great, cast great, shoot fine for me. Mold quality is top notch. I like Accurate better because the 5 cv sprue plate is designed so I can add the Lee handy lever action for opening the mold. The NOE 2 cv rifle mold I have is also top notch quality.

white eagle
04-25-2020, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to ask if there is a difference in quality. I have searched the forum and read excellent reviews on each. There are a few designs, that NOE has in stock and there are a few designs that Accurate can cut, that I would like to get. Is this just a case of 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other?

no such thing as VS between Mold Makers
we are living in the golden age as far as quality
and service provided by each of the various makers
you can't loose with any of them
pick the one you like and buy then buy more

Huskerguy
04-25-2020, 11:40 PM
That's the mold I have same problem went to my SACEO 158. That's the first mold I could not get to work. All I shot is 38/357 have about Twenty molds.

So, with around 20 38/357 moulds you are an official field tester. What are your top five in 158 grain SWC? Your go-to mould?

dannyd
04-26-2020, 12:18 AM
So, with around 20 38/357 moulds you are an official field tester. What are your top five in 158 grain SWC? Your go-to mould?
Saeco 158 bb 4 ca best mold also have NOE, Lee, Lyman and RCBS 158's

Green Frog
04-26-2020, 12:44 PM
I've expressed my lack of enthusiasm for Group Buys, which of late seem full of pitfalls and (especially) delays. I have one aluminum and one brass mould from NOE, and other than my mixed feelings about his RG (Rube Goldberg?) hollow pointers (or in my case hollow base plugs) I am nothing but impressed once I finally got them. I'll mention Mihec moulds as well, since I have one of those as well. Did I mention I HATE WAITING FOR GROUP BUYS!!!

To be fair, I got in on my first NOE group buy just as the dime dropped and I got it almost immediately... which colored my opinion about what I could expect. Then when I had to wait so long (6-18 months) for the next couple, the color changed! [smilie=b:

Froggie

white eagle
04-26-2020, 01:09 PM
yes thats the chance you take on GB's

seetrout
04-27-2020, 09:57 PM
So where do I go to get a plain base mold for my .25-20?
I guess it's RCBS or bust?

bigboredad
04-27-2020, 10:21 PM
I prefer Tom by a long way. You get what You want and only you. Why wait for 20+ casters to agree on a mold. You can also mix and match multiple styles and make it your design. Tom is truly a one off custom mold maker. He has always responded very fast to emails even on weekends. All you need is a idea and He will help you design your perfect bullet he has so much knowledge it's amazing

hermans
04-28-2020, 03:43 AM
I prefer Tom by a long way. You get what You want and only you. Why wait for 20+ casters to agree on a mold. You can also mix and match multiple styles and make it your design. Tom is truly a one off custom mold maker. He has always responded very fast to emails even on weekends. All you need is a idea and He will help you design your perfect bullet he has so much knowledge it's amazing

I fully agree here...Tom is amazing with his quality as well as his communication. You cannot go wrong with one of his molds!

waco
04-30-2020, 08:16 PM
NOE are good off the shelf molds. Tom's molds over at Accurate are TOP NOTCH custom molds built to YOUR specs. Just know what you are asking for when you order because he will not make you what you want, but what you ORDER. Check and recheck your dimensions and alloy specks. Ask me how I know...….

Teemu
04-30-2020, 10:54 PM
Points to Tom here also. Got probably 50 NOE's molds but still...Accurate is better casting and quality. At least my mind.

curioushooter
05-03-2020, 06:24 PM
They are almost indistinguishable in quality IMO, which is quite good. I've only had aluminum 4 cavity molds from them.

Neither are as nice as Miha's.

kevin c
05-04-2020, 02:04 PM
The two Accurate molds I have came quickly and are great. The main reason I've been getting MP molds recently is that I cast in volume, and Tom's molds are up to five cavities, whereas Miha's molds, also well made, are up to eight, 60% more boolits per pour.

If, though, I start jonesing for a custom design, absolutely no doubt I'll be emailing Tom.

I've never used NOE molds, so I can't comment on them.

dragon813gt
05-04-2020, 06:02 PM
They are both high quality. But they are also two different business models. NOE stocks molds, offers group buys and makes hollow point molds. Accurate makes you exactly what you want one mold at a time, caliber limited.

This is definitely personal preference. But I don’t like Accurate’s sprue plate design. I prefer the design that NOE and MP use. I have a bunch of molds from all of them but the fewest is from Accurate for this reason.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-11-2020, 10:07 PM
I like all the tooling NOE sells for sizing and expanding. Really let's you dial things in for success. Just ordered my first mold from them, a brass 4 cav 147 gr. designed for powder coating. I have 5 accurate molds and they all drop perfect boolits that are just over what I size to. Also have a cast iron RCBS 430-250K mold that drops perfect boolits as well. Quality molds are a pleasure to cast with and luckily they are available from more than one outfit.

timberwolf60
07-19-2020, 10:20 AM
I am new to the game of these various mold makers. Having used Lee and Lymans for many years, that is what I was accustomed to. I decided to take the plunge starting with 38/357. I went with NOE, a 360-158 that I drooled over for months before I got time to use it. In the meantime I picked up a nice RCBS 2 cavity 358-150 on this site. I did a little research on who could make a replica of the RCBS mold. Arsenal makes one already, I contacted MP and Accurate via email to find out more. MP got right back with a question which I promptly answered. Never heard from Accurate.

I tested four loads last night and unfortunately, the new NOE I was so hopeful for disappointed me. It lagged far behind the RCBS, Lee TL and even am old Lyman 357446, not known for accuracy. I emailed Al at NOE for some possible solutions.

bought a 4 cavity 311-173 mold. Only 2 cavities will release bullets. Sorry i will not have a custom mold that does not work right. Back to tom at accurate for me

Rich/WIS
07-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Have been happy with my NOE molds. Good designs, quality workmanship and materials, usually in stock and fast shipping. Only wish they made a sprue plate for their 5 cavity like the Lee 6 cavity with the lever system to cut sprues.

farmbif
07-22-2020, 10:58 AM
The Noe mold that I have casts perfect bullets every time. I have gone on the Accurate site and configured a mold I was hoping to have made for the 444 but having more time than money have yet to order it.

Hanzy4200
07-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Another vote for Accurate. Tom is a sincere and downright good guy. Generous, respecrtful, and a master of his craft. The metplat issue is a bummer, but isn't usually a huge deal.