PDA

View Full Version : What size bullets can I expect a Lyman .358" mould to drop?

Sig
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm new here (lurking for a couple of years). I'm ready to take the plunge into casting. I've been buying boolits for my .45 & .357, but I'm concerned about the availability in the future(I live in NY). I plan to start with the .357. The boolits I've been buying are sized on average about .3585". I really like their accuracy & lack of leading. I'm looking at the Lyman Four Cavity Pistol Bullet Mould #358665 38/357 Caliber 158 Grain. I'm also planning on getting the RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 Bullet Sizer/Lubricator. I have a fair amount of sheet lead from old shower pans that I smelted, fluxed & cast into muffins that plan to use. My concern is with the mold being .358", will the boolits be at least as large as what I have been using? I searched around here for a couple of hours without any luck.
Thanks,
Sig

fecmech
02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Lyman has lately had a bad rep for some undersize molds but you may do alright. That said if you are casting with only those straight lead pans or pans with a little tin added even if you get a good mold your bullets will be on the small side. It would be helpful if you added antimony and a small amount of tin to fill out the mold cavity better. Welcome to the board and let us know how you make out if you do purchase the Lyman mold.

Sig
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Lyman has lately had a bad rep for some undersize molds but you may do alright.
Would you suggest I look to a different mold maker? If so which one? I'd like to make this work & don't want throw good $$ after bad.
Thanks,
Sig

ShooterAZ
02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
You would probably get that if you ordered a NOE mold.

GLL
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Contact Tom at Accurate Molds and have him design you a duplicate of the LYMAN in the exact diameter you want !

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Jerry

fecmech
02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Would you suggest I look to a different mold maker?
I would second Accurate Molds,NOE, or Dan at Mountain Molds. They will cost more but IMO worth the difference.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
i use a Lyman 358477 it drops right at .358.5 150gr
and a Lyman 358242 that i can size to .358 125gr
but both of these molds are older look for a used
mold and ask if it drops at the size that you need
good luck

stubshaft
02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
+1 on the older Lyman molds. If you go the custom route make sure you let them know what alloy you plan on using.

MtGun44
02-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Might as well ask "How high is up?". Differences in production and in alloy and in
casting techniques will cause huge variation. Lyman is a quality maker, some have had
undersized molds recently, but all of mine have been fine, although I must admit that
most of my Lyman molds are older ones.

Bill

Larry Gibson
02-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Might as well ask "How high is up?". Differences in production and in alloy and in
casting techniques will cause huge variation. Lyman is a quality maker, some have had
undersized molds recently, but all of mine have been fine, although I must admit that
most of my Lyman molds are older ones.

Bill

+1

I have a standing offer to buy any such Lyman mould that will not cast to nominal diameter with the correct alloy. I've yet to buy such a mould. With a correct alloy (comparable to #2 alloy for Lyman's) you will probably get as cast bullets of .359 - .361.

Your lead sheeting will not produce such a bullet as it has no tin in it. If casting for the .357 Magnum I suggest getting some tin to mix with your sheet lead and use a 1-30 tin - lead alloy for practice loads of .38 SPL - +P levels. For magnum loads a 1-20 tin - lead alloy is usually fine but for true magnum level loads I prefer a 1-16 tin - lead alloy. The 1-20 and 1-16 alloys will cast to nominal diameter if you use a correct casting technique.

Undersize bullets from a mould are almost always operator error; either from an incorrect casting technique for the chosen alloy or because the chosen alloy is incorrect for the mould design.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Over the years I have had .358 molds that drop at .356/.357/.358/.359, some of which depended on the alloy that I was casting.
1Shirt!

Sig
02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
+1

Your lead sheeting will not produce such a bullet as it has no tin in it. If casting for the .357 Magnum I suggest getting some tin to mix with your sheet lead and use a 1-30 tin - lead alloy for practice loads of .38 SPL - +P levels. For magnum loads a 1-20 tin - lead alloy is usually fine but for true magnum level loads I prefer a 1-16 tin - lead alloy. The 1-20 and 1-16 alloys will cast to nominal diameter if you use a correct casting technique.

Undersize bullets from a mould are almost always operator error; either from an incorrect casting technique for the chosen alloy or because the chosen alloy is incorrect for the mould design.

Larry Gibson

I was planning on adding tin to my lead. I just figured it was better to have pure lead ingots & then add the tin. I didn't want to have all of it alloyed since I've never casted before. Once I find the right mix, I'll probably cast what works into ingots. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Sig

mdi
02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Alloy and temperature (mold and melt) play a major part in what diameter a finished bullet will measure. Lyman molds are designed for #2 alloy and your alloy may not reach the same deminsions. I've found that the coolest alloy temp. I can get away with produces the largest bullets (around 100 degrees above liquid). Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook has a chart on what to expect from various alloys per caliber (mine is out in my "gun room" so I can't quote it right now).

RG1911
02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
I got a newer Lyman mold for .38 Special when I mislaid my old mold. I cast 1,000 boolits from COWW, only to find they were coming out around .356. Talked to a pleasant person at Lyman, who asked what allow I was using. To make a long story short, he said the molds were cut based on the behavior of Lyman #2 alloy. So I melted all the boolits, added enough linotype to get the tin content up, and cast a few. This time they came out right at .358 or so.

So it seems that, if you plan to use COWW only, Lyman molds may not be what you want.

BTW, I then found some of the old .38 boolits I had cast with the old Lyman mold, circa 1972, and miked them. (Didn't have calipers back in college.) I had used wheel weights and, sure enough, they came in closer to .355-.356.

Richard