PDA

View Full Version : SS media to get rust off small steel/iron parts?

oldtoolsniper
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Didn't know where to post this question so here it is.

Has anyone used Stainless Steel media to get rust off of small steel or iron parts?

If so what were the results?

Thought I would ask before I ventured forth.

Thanks in advance!

blikseme300
02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I've done this cleaning rusted dies and pieces from an abused LnL AP press. The trick I found is to immediately dry the parts when done tumbling with a heat gun. A light coat of oil on the dies and a thin coat of clear aerosol sealer on the press parts.

You can experiment if you want with some rusty nails or bolts.

Catshooter
02-13-2013, 03:17 AM
I had a local shop plasma cut some small steel animal silhouettes for me. Plasma is usually pretty neat and trim, but not always.

Anyway, I threw the critters into the tumbler with the steel pins. Cleaned 'em up great.

Of course I'm still picking stuff outa the pins that came off the critters . . . :)

Cat

oldtoolsniper
02-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured brass wasn't the only thing it would work on. I'll do a run with before and after results and post pictures here.

captaint
02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Might even do a little deburring while you're at it.

oldtoolsniper
02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Here's what I put in. 61150

Four hours later here is the result.

Not perfect but better than doing it by hand. I am getting a lesson on rust busting. I got two 45's, a star and and pile of lube size dies from the hurricane area.

leadman
02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Looks like Naval Jelly could be a good friend for you to get to know. Or a Harbor Freight blast cabinet and some glass bead.

uscra112
02-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Look up electrolytic rust removal. Not as quick and easy as just throwing your bits in a tumbler, but it is the most effective and permanent rust removal process known to man.

oldtoolsniper
02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
I have used that with old woodworking tools I have restored. I like learning new ways. Hooking up those top punches might be tough.

Catshooter
02-14-2013, 12:40 AM
I forgot to mention that I let mine go for 24 to 48 hours. Steel is much harder than brass and the pins/tumbling action is pretty gentle.

Cat

gbrown
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Has anyone tried Evapo-rust? I use it all the time on rusty iron/steel and it is like a miracle. Soak it for 24 hours and its all gone. Takes bluing or parkerizing off, also, so that might be a consideration. You can use it over and over until it discolors. I've used it on dies, molds, and reloading machine parts. Find it in hardware stores like Ace Hardware. Sold in quart and gallon jugs. Qt--$7 Gal--$25, as I remember. Another thing, its very safe. You can put your hand in it, no harm. It's biodegradeable (I am not "green"), but it's not something that's dangerous to the wildlife or domestic animals.

blackthorn
02-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I used a hot/warm solution of citric acid in water to cover amd soak a small cast iron pot that had spent a long time sitting exposed to the elements. That pot had a thick scale of rust all over it. After two days in solution, I could look into the solution and see rust hanging off the pot handle like spanish moss off a tree branch. After four days I removed the pot and it was clean right down to new looking cast iron. Never tried this on steel so I don't know what (if any) difference there might be.