PDA

View Full Version : First alloy attempt?

Fernando
02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Do you alloy in your bottom pour or in the smelting pot so you already
have clean consistent ingots?
Probably will run 50lb batches.
I have the Lee 20lb pot.
I would think it would be easier to just blend it first but you guys
will have tried both.
What works best?

500MAG
02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
I keep it separate. I make small ingots out of a small corn cob mold with my tin, I use pewter. I mix my alloy depending on what I am casting. I have 2 casting pots and will usually mix different alloys in each.

Fernando
02-13-2013, 06:55 AM
when you get the ingredients in the pot how many times do you flux during the pour?
I will be using sawdust for flux.
once at the start or do you need to do it more?

375RUGER
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Short answer is I blend it first, then I'm only adding to the bottom pour what I want to become a boolit and not have to get trash out of it. If I'm mixing a small batch I have a smaller sauce pan that will do 10-15# and I mix that on a hot plate. If I'm doing a large batch I use a large pot on the gas burner and I do about 60-75# and mix it all at once so I know the whole batch is the same. I flux 2 times until I think the mix is consistent and all the trash is out, but I mix a lot of range lead so I think more fluxing is better. This way when it goes into the bottom pour very little or sometimes no fluxing is required.

runfiverun
02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
i have a couple of different alloys that i use.
so i make them up before casting with them.
this also means i have to store them separatly.
i flux when mixing the alloy batch up in the bigger pot.
then i don't have to clean as vigorously when i am casting and i can concentrate on casting and keeping the pot filled up, not stopping to clean stuff.

David2011
02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
The most used alloy in my shop is 1/2 lb Monotype and 20 lb COWW. I weigh out 20 lb of COWW, get it melted in the pot and add the 1/2 lb of Monotype after the COWW is melted. I feel like they're pretty consistent. They're certainly good enough for IPSC run'n'gun which is mostly inside 20 yards. I've tested my cast boolits out to 50 yards on a scoped pistol (not my IPSC gun) using sandbags and they are totally adequate- 2"@50 yards.

David

Fernando
02-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I think I'll pre-mix - I bought a set of steel stamps to mark ingots to keep them
separated. I'll keep the log book in the casting desk.
I have been picking up all kinds of ingredients and am ready to find my
magical blend.

lwknight
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
I bought steel stamps too.
Then I figured out that a marks-o-lot is cheaper and faster and easier.
Plenty permanent too.
I still use the stamps just to get my $$ worth.

Fernando
02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
The stamps were only 9 bucks and they sit on the wifes craft table.
But once I get them stamped and a log book started I wont mix
stuff up in the twice a year moves around the garage.
I'm also sick of stubbing my toe on furniture that needs moving even
more often - apparently stuff can't stay in one spot here very long.

Wal'
02-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Another stamper here................once stamped, forever identifiable. 8-) well until they are liberated down range.

p/s blend them in the pot.