PDA

View Full Version : AL stamped WW

Remyvtr15
02-11-2013, 11:49 PM
OK... I looked... I searched... so I'm in kevlar and with ballistic helmet

WTH is the AL stamped ww? Some cut fine with clippers...some are tougher.

I started to just throw them all aside as junk alloy but am not sure cause all the pics of the different WW do not show the AL stamp

Thanks

I'll post pics if needed

imashooter2
02-11-2013, 11:54 PM
AL in this case means for use on aluminum rims. Do the wire cuter test, melt the soft ones, put the hard ones aside as zinc for future trading material.

Remyvtr15
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
thanks...

David2011
02-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Sometimes they have a plastic-like silver coating on them that stays on top as they melt. Don't worry about it. Melt 'em and cast 'em.

David

Charlie Two Tracks
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
with a pair of wire cutters, you can't cut the zinc WW. Try to find a WW with ZN marked on it and you will see what I mean. Some lead WW are pretty darn hard around here. I use a sharp pair of wire cutters and cut at the end of the WW. I just make an indent not cut the end off. After a bit you will get the hang of it and be able to cruise right through.

master caster
02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
The bigger weights its faster to hold on one end tap on concrete there is quite a difference in sound when zinc or iron. I do it this way so you can get your pot started with known lead and after melted add little ones and watch for floaters.

fishnhunt
02-16-2013, 11:21 PM
The "AL" designation is a style of wheelweight (ww) that typically fits some aluminum rims - just like P, MC, AW, FN, C, TN, and others. "FE" designates steel weights (Fe is the symbol for iron right?). "ZN" is for zinc, so in many cases you will see a ww marked with FE and MC. Either melt slow and take temps constantly and keep the temp under 725 - or spend much time looking at and/or crimping every ww.

sdshootermsd
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
on some of the zinc ww it looks like the clip is riveted on instead of molded in

as lead ww are.

sdshootermsd

high standard 40
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
The bigger weights its faster to hold on one end tap on concrete there is quite a difference in sound when zinc or iron.

That won't work for me, I've got a high frequency hearing loss. Also, I've seen some of the riveted weights that are steel, not zinc.
I'm finding larger and larger percentages of unusable weights lately. Better get 'em while you can.

Patrick L
02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
All of the riveted ones I've encountered have been steel, not zinc.

Bob Krack
02-20-2013, 06:36 AM
There used to be an aluminum re-processor named "American Aluminium". I worked for them in the late 1960's. They or one of their subsidiaries made wheel weights with the symbol "AL".

I think the company is not in business in the continental USA any longer.

Bob