PDA

View Full Version : Check tool on the way

Muddydogs
02-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Just ordered a 35PB check maker from Pat. Plan on trying it on .358 bevel base bullets that are a pain to lube due to the base. What do you guys recommend for check material for this application?

richhodg66
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Can't help you as I never used one but I'll be interested in hearing how it works out for you as I have a bevel based mold I want to try too.

Mike Hughes
02-11-2013, 11:19 PM
soda cans or beer cans and a Harbor freight paper cutter. An easier way is to order some coil material from Yonky, he is a member here on the forum.

Mike Hughes
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I think the thin material will form to the bevel base, but not sure

.30/30 Guy
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
I have used lith plate material from JKH on this forum and coil material from Yonky.

fcvan
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Lubing bevel based boolits with a gas check pretty much deals with the lube flow under the boolit during sizing. You still have to adjust the sizer so it doesn't bottom out with a lube port at the same level as the sizer piston. Other than that they work pretty darned good.

longbow
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I doubt you will get much choice in material thickness as it has to be swaged into the lead so thin pop/beer can material will be it.

Having said that, not sure it will work on a bevel base but haven't tried it. Depending on check height there may not be enough sidewall to get past the bevel. If it does, I agree with Mike Hughes that the check will form to the bevel under pressure of firing.

It won't hurt to try it though and if it works great! If not just remove the bevel from the mould and you will be good to go.

Rereading, I see fcvan has tried it and it works for him so there you go.

Longbow

fcvan
02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
I have punched out gas checks from soda can, which one about .004, and I have punched out got checks from thicker material. I bought a roll of a Amerimax aluminum flashing, that was advertised at .009 to fit. When measured, it turned out to be about .0105 thick. I have made gas checks from the thicker material in both 35 and 45 plane base. The thicker material worked great, and swaged tightly to the base of the boolits. Thicker material takes a little more effort, but not very much. My Lymon sizer works great for seating plane-based gas checks.

Muddydogs
02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Well I have a paper cutter and saved a few soda cans, casted about 400 bullets and am just waiting on the tool to arrive. Maybe today? I will post up results once I have some done. Right know I have about 100 rounds loaded that were sized and lubed in the sizer, 100 loaded that were sized with the Lee push through and tumble lubed with the 45/45/10 ALOX formula and will load 100 sized and lubed in the sizer with soda can checks. Plan on testing all 3 to see what I get for leading, accuracy and just so I have a reason to blow off 300 rounds through the old 357. Its great fun shooting the Model 19 S&W with these bullets and 4.4 grains of Unique. Mold is dropping slugs at 163 grains.

pt4u2nv
02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Well I have a paper cutter and saved a few soda cans, casted about 400 bullets and am just waiting on the tool to arrive. Maybe today? I will post up results once I have some done. Right know I have about 100 rounds loaded that were sized and lubed in the sizer, 100 loaded that were sized with the Lee push through and tumble lubed with the 45/45/10 ALOX formula and will load 100 sized and lubed in the sizer with soda can checks. Plan on testing 3 to see what I get for leading, accuracy and just so I have a reason to blow off 300 rounds through the old 357. Its great fun shooting the Model 19 S&W with these bullets and 4.4 grains of Unique. Mold is dropping slugs at 163 grains.

Sent $$ to Pat on Jan 23rd and he is telling me that he is at about 20 working days to complete his orders so it may be a bit till you get your tool. I hear they are great so hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Muddydogs
02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Ya I was wondering that, I thought he had some stuff in stock but might have confused a couple differant sites. I have no problem waiting.

I did shoot the 100 lubed with White Lable lube and 100 tumbled lubes with 45/45/10 this weekend and had no leading issue so for my general plinker round I think I am going to just do the fast and easy tumble lube route. Once I get the maker I will try some of each at 357 velocitys and see what happens.

PatMarlin
02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm rapidly getting caught back up here. I had one of my main CNC machines down for 3 weeks. That hurt but it's all good now.

I'm picking up my 4th CNC in a couple of weeks and that will continue to speed things up.

I just can't keep stock. The minute I think I'm getting there, orders come in and it's all spoken for before completion. You guys got me hoppin' daily, but I'm thankful and appreciate all the compliments and shooting reports I get.

Truly awesome cast shooting... :drinks:

COMING SOON...

more calibers including:

22 cal standard
22T cal (tall)
22PB cal
22PBT (tall) cal
25cal
25PB cal
6.5 cal
6.5PB cal
348PB