PDA

View Full Version : Another PID Thread project

Mrbrent
02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
I have been reading up on the other PID controller threads since I have a Lee 20lb pot that I would like to control. After checking out the options I realized I really already owned a controller that I think will work. It is a controller I bought for another hobby I have and that is BBQ. I own one of these http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/CyberQ%20WiFi. Basically is is a PID that I can set the Pit temp and it uses a fan to force air into the fire to bring up the temp. The output for the fan is 12vdc so all I need to do is buy a thermocouple for the pot and plug it in the pit temp jack and wire the fan output the the SSR (solid state relay) and tada a re-purposed controller. The only thing that I need to try is will the controller work at temps up to about 750 degrees. The web page says 475 but I think that is a limitation of the probes they use. I can put the setpoint all the way up to 999 on the controller. Not that I need to do it but I can control the cyberQ controller with my Ipad from a web page so setup is a snap. I can change the temp, set alarms and receive email or text messages when temps are reached. I ordered a probe and SSR today and will try it out and report back. :-D

Mal Paso
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
A little more automation and you can sit in Starbucks while casting, virtually, at home.:bigsmyl2:

blikseme300
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
We use the Guru as well for BBQ team cooking and being the geek in the group I get to mess with the tech. The thermocouples that come with the guru are rated lower than what you are needing for smelting. Be aware that the output of the Guru is controlled by interrupting the negative connection. Installing a 2A fuse in the supply line is also a good idea, found out the hard way that these units smoke themselves quite easily. I don't see the advantage of the external monitoring if you are planning to use this unit for casting. You need to be at the pot while casting and it is not good practice to leave an active melting pot unattended.

Mrbrent
02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
We use the Guru as well for BBQ team cooking and being the geek in the group I get to mess with the tech. The thermocouples that come with the guru are rated lower than what you are needing for smelting. Be aware that the output of the Guru is controlled by interrupting the negative connection. Installing a 2A fuse in the supply line is also a good idea, found out the hard way that these units smoke themselves quite easily. I don't see the advantage of the external monitoring if you are planning to use this unit for casting. You need to be at the pot while casting and it is not good practice to leave an active melting pot unattended.

Thanks for the heads up on the opening of the ground. I was joking about using the remote capabilities of the unit. It's kind of hard to cast remotely unless I build me a little robot. HA HA, That sounds like fun as well. I ordered thermal couples as well as better quality probes that came from the guru as I haven't been impressed with the ones shipped with it.

blikseme300
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Yeah, we have replaced the t-couples after about 10 cook-offs as well. Remote casting would be nice but pricy.

Mrbrent
02-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Blikeseme, I think I am following what you are saying by by the negative connection. The SSR has the terminals labeled A1(+) and A2(-). My intent was to connect the positive lead to A1 from the Guru and the negative to A2. Where did you put the fuse? Inline from Guru to A1(+)? I pulled apart my fan and found it is 12vdc .27 amp so the SSR only requires .12a to turn it on so no issue there.
What t-couples are you buying for your smoker? My pit temp probe seems to give me the most trouble.

David2011
02-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Yeah, we have replaced the t-couples after about 10 cook-offs as well. Remote casting would be nice but pricy.

Perfecting the machine that reloads the pot with more alloy at the right time could cost a lot. I stopped by a shooting buddy's shop one day. It was about 1:00 and he had already cast 12,000 boolits that day. He had to break up he large ingots and add them himself, though. The machine took care of most everything else. He did have to empty the bin of fresh boolits manually, too, come to think of it. He monitored it from his air conditioned office, so he's almost there.

David

blikseme300
02-17-2013, 05:12 AM
Perfecting the machine that reloads the pot with more alloy at the right time could cost a lot. I stopped by a shooting buddy's shop one day. It was about 1:00 and he had already cast 12,000 boolits that day. He had to break up he large ingots and add them himself, though. The machine took care of most everything else. He did have to empty the bin of fresh boolits manually, too, come to think of it. He monitored it from his air conditioned office, so he's almost there.

David

When a hobby becomes a job then it loses all the enjoyment though. I was offered an automated casting system a few years ago and decided not to do it for the reason stated. Glad I still cast by hand.