PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Pay

Racenviper
02-11-2013, 07:20 PM
My local clubs Jr Rifle league has saved all of their 22lr. They have
two five gallon buckets filled. What is the current rate for 22lr scrap bass? I would like to know the current rate as this will help fund our Jr Rifle league.

mold maker
02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Check with your local scrap yard. They will be the ones to set the price.
The guys here may buy you out for swaging 223s.

BT Sniper
02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
I will buy it all from you. PM sent.

BT

ratboy
02-11-2013, 10:21 PM
problem solved. :)

Racenviper
02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Geez, Brian if I sold it all to you, I would not have anything to work with when I get my .224 dies from you.

marvelshooter
02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Is there really enough of a market to be shipping them? My local club has a trash can full of them which goes to the local scrap yard every so often. Maybe they should rethink this.

cba257
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
I would buy say a medium flat rate box.

BT Sniper
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Yep there will be many new 22 cal swagers in need of 22lr brass. One med flat rate box will last a long time! I am just stocking up for the day they become hard to find.

Yes I would say there is enough market. What is scrap prices now days? maybe a little over $1/lb? Typical offers are about $2/lb shipped for 22lr brass. A med flat rate box can hold about 30lbs IIRC! Might be worth while to those that have access to barrels full of the stuff?

BT

p.s. now I see your title that says "what" should I pay, some reason I was under the impression your where looking for a fair price to offer them? Sorry.

alfloyd
02-12-2013, 01:35 AM
A Med Flat Rate Box will hold 14 lbs. of empty 22 LR brass.
A Large Flat Rate Box will hold 24 lbs of empty 22 LR brass.
Been there, done that before. I have sold it for $2.00 per lb + shipping.

Just letting you know.
Lafaun

BT Sniper
02-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Thanks Laufan! I was off a little on my numbers. In that case $2/lb + shipping is still a pretty good deal for everyone IMO.

Join us in the postal shoot if you can.

Good shooting and Swage On!

Brian

DukeInFlorida
02-12-2013, 07:11 AM
I've sold a few medium boxes of .22 LR brass. Seems that there is some demand for it.

I have also sold (for a premium price) some .22 LR brass that I tumbled in my pin tumbler, and then hand picked over to remove any defects.
That was a lengthy task, and not sure I would do it again, at any price.

I might have some .22 LR brass (medium box) that I would sell for the $2 a pound, plus shipping. One box worth is all I would have, sorry. It would be dirty, as picked up from the range. I can run it through my media seperator to remove as much sand and rocks as possible. It will contain a mix of head stamps, and any defects there are there.

Lizard333
02-12-2013, 08:41 AM
A Med Flat Rate Box will hold 14 lbs. of empty 22 LR brass.
A Large Flat Rate Box will hold 24 lbs of empty 22 LR brass.
Been there, done that before. I have sold it for $2.00 per lb + shipping.

Just letting you know.
Lafaun

I bought from Lafaun a while back when I got my dies from RCE. His brass has a large selection, so you get a nice variety of head stamps. A very good guy to deal with.

Not to say that Duke isn't good to work with either, just haven't bought 22LR brass from him.

ReloaderFred
02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I took the club's brass to the recycler two weeks ago and got $2.03 per pound for it, if that helps at all. Scrap prices vary by region, so it would probably be best to check prices in your area to find what they're paying. Some recyclers won't take cartridge brass at all, and others will.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MIBULLETS
02-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Some will take cartridge brass but are hesitant to take rimfire brass. Maybe a concern of any priming compound left over. I don't know, just something I heard. I think others will take it but they don't like rimfire mixed with regular cartridge brass.

beastybronco
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
If it is for a jr league then I would just give them more then scrap price. There are getting to be fewer and fewer shooters out there.

nicholst55
02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
I took the club's brass to the recycler two weeks ago and got $2.03 per pound for it, if that helps at all. Scrap prices vary by region, so it would probably be best to check prices in your area to find what they're paying. Some recyclers won't take cartridge brass at all, and others will.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Definitely price it locally. The scrap yards across the line in Cali give twice the price for brass that the one here in Yuma does.

ratboy
02-13-2013, 12:33 AM
i just paid 2 dollars a pound and was happy to not have to spend all those hours picking up all the brass at the range.
i save mine but there is a fair amount on the ground that i resist the urge to pick up. if i gave in to that urge i would easily spend all day at the range and get no shooting done. i think its worth that much just for the convenience factor.

Lizard333
02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
The other thing is let everyone know you swage your own bullets. You'd be amazed at how much you will get from people saving it for you. I probly have 10000 rounds of brass just in last couple of years from friends and family. I'll be good for a LONG time.