PDA

View Full Version : Long standing die problem with 8MM Mauser

wallenba
02-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I always have a battle resizing my 8mm Mauser cases. After FL sizing 3-4 cases, it gets almost impossible to lower the ram. The expander button just does not want to pass through. This sometimes pulls the neck out of concentricity. My instinct is that the button just expands from friction heat, mica does not help much. Later, I can do 3-4 more before having problems. I use a Redding die normally, but I dug out an almost thirty year old RCBS, and that does the same thing. Both buttons are .322 on the nose. The Winchester brass I'm working with now has a case wall .0125. I just ordered a Lee FL die to see if the long taper will help, and a tapered Redding expander button. Redding makes free floating carbide buttons, but not for the 8mm.
Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what works for you? All ideas are welcome, I can't afford to mess this brass up.:???:

littlejack
02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I tried the powdered mica to dry lubricate the inside of necks. It did not work form worth a hoot for me either.
I bought me a small tube of powdered graphite, and that solved the problem. I have a 30 cal bore mop that screws into a wooden handle. I put some of the graphite in a small clear bore brush tube tube, and then push the mop into the tube to get the graphite on it. (Like the ladies do with their mascara) Then, I take the mop, and run it round and round inside the neck of the case I am going to size.
Works like a charm.
Jack

n.h.schmidt
02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
I have had this problem too. Remove your expander and size a case. Measure the ID. of the neck. If it's way too small ,that would be a problem. If it's smaller than .320 it's sizing the neck too small. For a inside neck lube,I use Lee case sizing lube.It is inert as far as the powder is concerned and dries. Works very well for this. I have had a RCBS 7.62X54 die and a C&H carcano die that way way over sized the cases . I had to go to different makers to get something that worked.
n.h.schmidt

TNsailorman
02-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Imperial Die Wax. Roll a Q tip over the Imperial die wax while sping it and then run it around a time or two inside the neck of your cartridge. I have used this method for years now and it works for me. I usually only need to put the wax on every other cartridge but you mileage may vary. A patch on a bore brush wil take the wax right out after the sizing is done. james

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I made this thingamajig
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0011217_zpsed86faff.jpg

9mm boremob and an old glue clamp.
Clips it on the press and pass the case onto it just before sizing. Takes 'bout ,8 seconds more than not. It is "soaked" in sizing lube.
This works because i size before i tumble.

Chicken Thief
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Oh, and maybe work hardened brass?

Wayne Smith
02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
I took an old medicine bottle, filled it with shot, and poured in some graphite. Dip the neck of the brass in the shot and you have a lubed neck. When you are done put the top back on the bottle and there is no mess. Every once in a while shake it up when the top is on.

wallenba
02-12-2013, 01:39 AM

Don't think so, it's twice fired and was annealed before the last cleaning.

N.H. Schmidt said he used Lee case sizing lube inside the neck. I got some years ago, but never used. I didn't know it could be used inside the case too. Tried it, problem solved. Just finished sizing and prepping. I also use Imperial sizing wax, but since the Lee product label says it dries and does not affect powder ( I assume it won't affect the primer either), I used the Lee inside the neck. Thanks everybody.

I plan on trying the graphite too, but I have very little left. I used it to help my powder measures flow better.

salpal48
02-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I found one of the best products for lube is Panef White Silicone stick. Very little goes a long way. Its great for case lube , Thread lube and press lube. It generally cheap and you can get it @a hardware store. Cost about $ 6.00. One tube will last for Thousands of cases. Put a little on the expander button and it stays ,also will not effect the powder . Just a coating will do. Makes the button side in and out

Chicken Thief
02-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Don't think so, it's twice fired and was annealed before the last cleaning.

N.H. Schmidt said he used Lee case sizing lube inside the neck. I got some years ago, but never used. I didn't know it could be used inside the case too. Tried it, problem solved. Just finished sizing and prepping. I also use Imperial sizing wax, but since the Lee product label says it dries and does not affect powder ( I assume it won't affect the primer either), I used the Lee inside the neck. Thanks everybody.

I plan on trying the graphite too, but I have very little left. I used it to help my powder measures flow better.

I got a 3lbs bucket just sitting.
I'll do you a @650gr plastic box for shipping = $5.

Chicken Thief
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Man now i remember why i put it fra away.
It just messes anythig up with black yuck:evil:

Larry Gibson
02-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Very probable in my opinion and experience loading for numerous 8x57 Mausers over the years. The case necks are expanded and then sized down considerably during firing and reloading. This does excessively work harden the case necks. I now use a RCBS X-die to FL size cases for ammo commonality in several M98s. I also do not have to trim with the X-Die and case life is greatly improved.

I also have learned that carbon buildup/deposit on the inside of the case neck causes expander "chatter". Type of powder and load make a difference here. Cleaning the cases really good in a vibrating case cleaner helps also. However, I still apply a bit of lube to the inside of every 4 or 5th case neck to avaid chatter. I tuble clean the lube off with sawdust in a Thumbler after sizing and that effectively removes the lube from the inside of the necks also.

Some makers have a carbide expander available for some cartridges. They also help some, especially with clean cases.

Larry Gibson

EDG
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I inside neck lube every case with an oil based lube same as I lube the outside with Imperial. After sizing I rinse the cases with 90% or 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the sizing lube.

DLCTEX
02-16-2013, 10:18 PM
John Deere has a graphite lube for planters that gets you a lot for cheap.( I know, that's an oxymoron, John Deere/cheap)