PDA

View Full Version : Old pacific old dampend scale powder tray?

s1120
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I got left a old Pacific powder scale from my dad with a lot of other reloading stuff, and its missing the powder pan, and hanger. Now Im assuming that I cant get one that was made for that scale being how old it is...But does anyone know if there are any replacements out there that would work? Now knowing that I would have to adjust the scale after... is there any issue with getting any scale pan, and forming a hanger for it? Thanks for any help!

Cactus Farmer
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
As long as the "new" hanger and pan will "zero" out you should be good to go. You might get a set of accuracy check weights just to be sure it weighs out good at some other setting besides 0.

s1120
02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
As long as the "new" hanger and pan will "zero" out you should be good to go. You might get a set of accuracy check weights just to be sure it weighs out good at some other setting besides 0.

Thats what I was planing to do. I dont have a set of weights, but I do know someone that does.

williamwaco
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
I have done that on a couple of occasions.

I used a heavy piece of aluminum wire to form the "hanger" for the scale pan.
Used a scale pan from a totally unrelated scale.

If it will "zero" you should be fine.

If it zeros out, check it with some commercial jacketed bullets. They are usually very close to the stated weight.
You can also use coins.

See:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications

(Note that these weights are in grams. )

drklynoon
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
RCBS powder scale hanger comes with a bag of shot that goes into the hanger itself and helps to ease the process of zeroing.

alrighty
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
RCBS powder scale hanger comes with a bag of shot that goes into the hanger itself and helps to ease the process of zeroing.
That is how I brought one scale back to life but I think it was a old Herters oil dampened one.You can add or subtract ballast by simply removing the screw and adding or removing the assorted sized lead shot.Very simple job but I am thinking the parts to do this are around $25.00-$35.00 for the hanger and a new powder pan.

brassrat
02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Every company I checked wants big $ for these items. Around $40 for pan+ holder plus the shipping.

Bent Ramrod
02-12-2013, 12:29 AM
As williamwaco mentioned, you should be able to make a hanger with some aluminum or copper wire and some judicious bending.

Get one of those Lyman aftermarket scale pans that are partially enclosed and have a funnel attachment on the side. They are easier and quicker to empty into the case mouths than the original flat or dished pans, which require a separate funnel.

s1120
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Any reason to use Aluminum or copper? or just ease of forming??

As williamwaco mentioned, you should be able to make a hanger with some aluminum or copper wire and some judicious bending.

Get one of those Lyman aftermarket scale pans that are partially enclosed and have a funnel attachment on the side. They are easier and quicker to empty into the case mouths than the original flat or dished pans, which require a separate funnel.

Bent Ramrod
02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Ease of bending and lack of spring back, mostly. Iron wire would work too.

Pressman
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
#6 aluminum wire is correct. Aluminum is used as it has less mass than iron. Easier to work with also. Form the wire, place the pan in your new hanger then trim to length till scale balances. That is assuming your wire is too long to start with, if not cut a longer piece.
Many of the later Pacific scales were made by Webster.

s1120
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
here is the old girl!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m2/Ingersoll444/EB1736F0-D3E2-4EDD-96CE-A22043F4B3A0-247-000000AC6A2ADDF1_zps406bb537.jpg

Pressman
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
That is a Webster made scale. You have balance adjusting nuts so fitting an off breed pan is not to difficult. If you can find a Ohaus/Lyman/RCBS pan and hanger you can make it work with ease. Or a Redding/Herter's pan will also work.
Ken

s1120
02-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advice!!

We are doing some old school reloading. I have that, and a true line Jr, and a old Lyman 55 mesure

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Looking at the picture, the hanger and pan that are on it are very similar to the hanger and pan on my Redding. These parts aren't cheap, but are reasonably priced at Midway, though other companies may carry them:

Pan Hook:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137301/redding-pan-hook-for-1-master-powder-and-bullet-scale

Pan:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516960/redding-powder-pan-for-2-master-magnetic-powder-scale

Should solve the problem for you. Try your google fu and see if you might can find them less expensive somewhere else. midway ain't always the cheapest on such things.

Pavogrande
02-14-2013, 05:46 AM
That's not an "old pacific" -- It has sliding poise, "old" Pacific has a threaded bar with threaded poise and a set of weights ---
Accurate, but a bit of bother to set up --