PDA

View Full Version : .455 Webley top break bore diameters

Cactus Farmer
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I found a Webley at a recent show and brought it home. I had the impression they varied widely in bore size. So I got it for a lower price because I pointed the bore size out to the owner. It turned out to be a .4515-.452 beauty. It has been converted to 45 auto rim so it isn't a big collector piece but it sure shoots well. Now,back to the original question, What bore diameters are common? Or,did I just get lucky?

rintinglen
02-12-2013, 04:07 AM
I only have examined one, which like yours had a roughly .451 bore. The chamber throats were more like .455 though. I was going to buy it, but the owner decided he'd rather keep it, then turned around and sold it about 3 months later.

Cactus Farmer
02-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Mine has larger throats too,but it shoots jacketed SWC auto rim well. (That is what was available at the time)
I've shot some of my 45 auto lead reloads with SWC target loading, 231 powder, and it shoots well. Not a target pistol but 25 yard rabbits would fare poorly in a meeting. CCI 45 Auto shot loads warn they will lock up a revolver but I tried anyway. No lock up and at 15-20 feet they took a divot out of SWMBOs yard! I patched it up ASAP as it IS her yard. Snakes are an issue here in the desert and this will make short work of them without having a boolit leaving the area in who knows direction.
I hope you get the chance to find a Webley in the future. It's like playing with history.......
I have several old military pistols and enjoy the history that goes with them all. I have a French 1892
Revolver in 8mm French Ordinance caliber. It is marked 1922 manufacture date. 1st swing out cylinder on a military pistol I think. It's a short 32-20 case. .330 bore. Shoots OK, not very powerful but a rabbit killer anyway.

KCSO
02-12-2013, 12:04 PM
.452 on my Webely Green. I am shoooting the old Ideal 255 gr slug that drops from the mould at 457 and I size it to 454 to fit the throat better.

Cactus Farmer
02-12-2013, 02:59 PM
How much improvement did the better throat fit give you? When the wind slows down a little I want to get the rest out and squeeze off a few to test the accuracy potential of my beast.