PDA

View Full Version : What color do Alaska Brown Bears eyes reflect in the headlights?

Linstrum
02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
I have spent a bit of time in Alaska, but it has always been the time of year when it doesn't get dark at "night" up around Fairbanks, Healy, Denali, Cantwell, Palmer, and Anchorage. I know brown bears/grizzlies hibernate in the winter, so they aren't out walking about in the dead of winter on the highways when it gets plenty dark, but when they are out when it is dark enough to use your headlights, what color do their eyes shine in the headlights?

rl 1,174

7br
02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't know what color the bear's eyes reflect, but I know what color my underwear will be if I ever get the chance to find out.

P.K.
02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Most likley you'll see yellow or gold. Depends on the light source.

fouronesix
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Have seen a bunch of black bears in headlights and or spot lights and a couple of brown bears from the road in headlights. None of the bears are bright like many other animals. Relatively small eyes and the color seems like a muted amber. Maybe a gold to red tint.

runfiverun
02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
bears wil come out and wander in the winter time if there is food available and they are hungry.

DIRT Farmer
02-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Or the bear question, Why do bears false charge?

Things taste better if you get the poop out of them.

Bad Water Bill
02-12-2013, 04:19 AM

Things taste better if you get the poop out of them.

:groner::groner::groner:

MT Gianni
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Moose seem to have a dull non reflective eye and can cause some car collisions.

Blammer
02-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Because they are over their credit limit?

MtGun44
02-13-2013, 01:34 AM
A false charge by a grizzly is quite memorable. Scares the absolute
heck out of you, and they move like greased lightning. Strikes a primal
nerve somewhere down in the subconcious. No clue what color their
eyes reflect, this was daylight.

Bill

quilbilly
02-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Being on the wrong side of a buffalo stampede has the same effect.

Frozone
02-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Moose seem to have a dull non reflective eye and can cause some car collisions.

They have a dual color coat also, it makes the moose 'camouflaged'.
They just blend into the shadows.
The moose can be standing in the street under a street light and you won't see em unless they move.

As for the browns, I don't recall.
There isn't enough pavement for it to be common, and the darn things don't hang out on the roads.

fouronesix
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
That's the truth- I've seen quite a few from the road and they don't hang out long enough nor look long enough straight at you to tell. With the couple or three I've seen that did look long enough, the shine was not bright at all and was hard to see. Seemed kind of muted amber to reddish.

The way to find out is to take a flashlight and sit near a small salmon stream during a good red or silver run. Plenty dark between about and 11P and 2A that time of year. Hold the light in one hand and furiously splash the water once in a while with the other. [smilie=1: :kidding: On second thought that's bad advice!

41 mag fan
02-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Don't know about reflection of bears eyes...but i can tell you when i get the old battle axe up in arms, hers glow fiery red. I swear you look closely in them, when she's mad you'll see flames in them to.
In fact at night time, they'll glow so bright you don't need a light to see.
Been gone for a week, she's pretty much calmed down, think I'm gonna have to get her riled up so I know where I stand for a few days!!