PDA

View Full Version : blackhorn powder 209

starnbar
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Anybody shooting this blackhorn 209 powder? How is it for you?

Pb2au
02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I have been experimenting with it in an in-line rifle I acquired.
1) It is pretty accurate stuff. That being said, no more accurate than real BP.
2) Clean up is easy, as it is clean-up-able with your favorite smokeless solvent.
3) Cost is pretty high. That being said, BP is a bit high right now. On the other other hand, I found that my charge level is pretty high in the test rifle to tighten up the groups. 110 grains by volume. Below that, at 50 yards off bench it was holding a 4" group. At 110, it dropped to under 1" I am currently testing Lee's 255 45 cal semi wadcutter (as used for 45 colt), cast is pure lead in a off the shelf plastic sabot.
4) It does not ignite consistently with a "muzzle loader" 209 primer, you have to use a proper shotshell 209 primer. It will not ignite consistently with a conventional percussion cap.
5) I had to open up the flash hole in the nipple the next drill size up.

So, I am on the fence. I think the real answer is that although it is a pretty decent product, it may be a solution to problem that does not exist.

john hayslip
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Probably work in a muzzle loader ok but I tried it in some cases and got instant corrosion of the brass. Didn't like it for that purpose

NSB
02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I have not found any downside to this powder, not even cost. It's a little more expensive but I don't use multiple pounds a year so I don't mind paying a little extra for the powder I do use. You can shoot this stuff all day and it won't crud up your gun. You don't have to clean between shots like you do with 777 or black powder. I keep everything on a spreadsheet when I shoot...powder, sabot, bullet, primer, group size, etc. It is very consistent and very accurate with the proper componets used with it. I won't go back to 777, Pyrodex, black, etc.

captbligh
02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Use it in my inline with sabors and maxiballs. Very pleased with accuracy and cleanup. Just make sure it's compatible with your gun as it's not recommended with certain styles of breech plug.

johnson1942
02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
i to have been trying it. i have used black powder almost 100 percent, untill i tried blackhorn 209. at the recomendation of a few post i use 10 grains black 2f first at the bottom of the breech then blackhorn209 on top of that. ignition has been perfect. very clean even this way. where i used 110 grains of 2f black before i can use 10 grains of 2f black and 80 grains of blackhorn 209. for close to same results. it is very accurate in my 1/18 twist .45 cal barrel shooting a paper patched .440 bullet in it. i have tried the other subs and they just were too dirty for me and very in accurate except black horn 209. it good stuff for what im shooting.

starnbar
02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I thank you all for the info a friend getting out of bp left me a jug of this so I'll be trying out a few loads with it. Again thanks for the info as I have never used anything but 2f and 3f goex.