PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone load .25acp?

Jumbopanda
02-11-2013, 03:24 AM
I just purchased a Beretta 950BS Jetfire and haven't been able to find much information about reloading .25acp. It also seems that components are extremely rare, and bullet molds are pretty much nonexistent unless they're custom made. Something that I found interesting about this cartridge is that the SAAMI maximum pressure for it is 25,000 CUP, and yet most of the load data out there lists loads that are well under 20,000, usually closer to 15,000 or 17,000. I've also heard of at least one poster on a forum that claimed to use double or even triple the charge weights listed in load manuals with no problems. I have no intention of doing something so reckless, but I am interested in hear from people who have exceeded the usual 1.3gr of Bullseye or 1.7gr of Unique in their .25acp handloads. I'm wondering if it would be possible to obtain 1000fps with a 50gr bullet, or 1200fps with a 35gr.

Olevern
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Carolina bullets has cast 25 acp bollits.

wool1
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Have a bunch of new 25 acp brass I'd be willing to trade. Do not have anything that shoots it anymore. P.m. Me if interested.

texassako
02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I have begun loading for it, but not functon tested yet, and components can be found with a little looking. The GB auction site yielded a bag of 2k cases for $50 for me a few months back. I was able to grab one of Ranchdog's .25 ACP molds just before he closed, but it takes quite a bit of sizing to fit in my gun since it drops at .257". The discontinued Lyman mold must be made of gold for the prices it brings on fleabay, but I managed to trade on here for a few of them cast. I think the reloading data keeps pressure down because there are a lot of old and cheap guns in the caliber, plus it is so tiny the pressure can change real quick with miniscule seating depth changes. There are some people running much hotter loads, but I would not take their data on faith with the wide range of chambers and bores in these guns. Saami only tests .25acp to 18k.

45 2.1
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
NEI makes a very nice 25ACP mold. I also have the RCBS version, but use the NEI. I believe I use RedDot in it.

Jumbopanda
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
I have begun loading for it, but not functon tested yet, and components can be found with a little looking. The GB auction site yielded a bag of 2k cases for $50 for me a few months back. I was able to grab one of Ranchdog's .25 ACP molds just before he closed, but it takes quite a bit of sizing to fit in my gun since it drops at .257". The discontinued Lyman mold must be made of gold for the prices it brings on fleabay, but I managed to trade on here for a few of them cast. I think the reloading data keeps pressure down because there are a lot of old and cheap guns in the caliber, plus it is so tiny the pressure can change real quick with miniscule seating depth changes. There are some people running much hotter loads, but I would not take their data on faith with the wide range of chambers and bores in these guns. Saami only tests .25acp to 18k.

I have heard that commercial ammo tends to be weak due to the fact that many .25acp handguns are of questionable quality. I think my Jetfire is probably one of the nicer .25acp guns out there, so I'm not too worried about it falling apart. It's weird, I've seen a couple of sources that list SAAMI spec .25acp at a maximum of 25k, but it is true that every manual I own and every powder manufacturer's load data stays below 18k. I find it hard to believe that .25acp can only handle 18k, and yet .22lr with its paper-thin cases can handle 30k. :confused:

I'll Make Mine
02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
It's weird, I've seen a couple of sources that list SAAMI spec .25acp at a maximum of 25k, but it is true that every manual I own and every powder manufacturer's load data stays below 18k. I find it hard to believe that .25acp can only handle 18k, and yet .22lr with its paper-thin cases can handle 30k. :confused:

Part of what you're seeing may be the difference between CUP and piezoelectric PSI; most loads for most cartridges were reduced a bit between "before piezo" and "after piezo" publications, because the piezoelectric sensors can respond quickly enough to plot a pressure curve instead of giving a sort of "average maximum" as a copper or lead crusher does. A load that was deemed safe to 25,000 CUP may have been reduced to 18,000 PSI once the pressure spike from the fast powders commonly used in the tiny .25 case was seen. As noted, too, there's the liability concern from the plethora of very, very cheap .25 pistols in circulation.

The other part of what you're seeing is odd data; the SAAMI maximum for .22 LR is only 24,000 from my reading, and the .22 LR is full enclosed in virtually every chamber (every one I've seen, though there may be a couple pistols that leave some ramp gap), while the .25 ACP routinely has some unsupported area at the feed ramp, just like a 1911 .45 ACP and many other centerfire semi-auto pistols. That gap means the much thicker .25 ACP brass is actually supporting the pressure on a part of the case head and body, while few if any .22 LR firearms require that of the thin rimfire case.

I'd trust a 25,000 PSI load in a Jetfire, or in my Tanfoglio if I can ever get it back in shooting condition, but I wouldn't want to shoot that kind of load in a Raven without proof testing from a distance and behind a solid barrier.

HangFireW8
02-11-2013, 09:56 PM
What "I'll Make Mine" said, plus another factor- tiny changes in boolet seating depth make for big changes in peak pressure (but not performance, since overall gas volume is still similar).

As the overloader you mentioned has found (I'm 99% sure I know who you are talking about), excursions are usually well managed in the 25 because the brass and chambers are proportionally thicker and stronger compared to larger cartridges, and peak pressures are exceedingly brief.

I don't do 25ACP, but I do study interior ballistics, and had some really good, long conversations with the aforementioned overloader.

Jumbopanda
02-12-2013, 12:43 AM
What "I'll Make Mine" said, plus another factor- tiny changes in boolet seating depth make for big changes in peak pressure (but not performance, since overall gas volume is still similar).

As the overloader you mentioned has found (I'm 99% sure I know who you are talking about), excursions are usually well managed in the 25 because the brass and chambers are proportionally thicker and stronger compared to larger cartridges, and peak pressures are exceedingly brief.

I don't do 25ACP, but I do study interior ballistics, and had some really good, long conversations with the aforementioned overloader.

So...did he ever blow his hand off? :D

HangFireW8
02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
So...did he ever blow his hand off? :D

Not yet!