PDA

View Full Version : Please exsplain, What the heck is a J word ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-11-2013, 01:07 AM
I keep seeing J words for sale and in reloading but for the life of me cant figure out what they are.

Thanks Steve

Love Life
02-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Jacketed bullets.

wallenba
02-11-2013, 01:11 AM
Yep...jacketed bullets. They have no lube grooves, which you will be needing plenty of. Many members here sell them, no shortages ever.:kidding:

nhrifle
02-11-2013, 01:36 AM
That's them copper colored thingees that most folks shoot. Dang fools still ain't lernt how ta spell boolit yet!

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Must be a eastern thing :roll:

obssd1958
02-11-2013, 03:16 AM
j-words = jacketed bullets = Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

cast = boolits = as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena, The Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption. . .

...and it's not an Eastern thing - it's a castboolits thing!!!!

Hope this helps!!

bosterr
02-11-2013, 08:46 AM
I thought using the "J" word on this site is blasphemy!

44man
02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
I keep mine in a metal box so they don't peer at what I really shoot! :drinks:

Jack Stanley
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Must be a eastern thing :roll:

Maybe not an eastern thing , but I think you are onto and idea that drives its usage . Much like "triggernometry" and "whombeitsover" are used .

Jack

P.K.
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
It's a mild form of blasphamy to which one is frowned upon like an unruly child. I get that look alot.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
...and it's not an Eastern thing - it's a castboolits thing!!!!

Ahhh,,,, I am learning things all the time

Love Life
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
It's a mild form of blasphamy to which one is frowned upon like an unruly child. I get that look alot.

Forgive me for I have sinned...

dakotashooter2
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Boolits with that unneccessary copper condom..............

Elkins45
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
What's the perjorative for an unjacketed bullet that isn't cast lead? I shoot Hornady GMX bullets out of my 257 Weatherby. GMX stands for gilding metal expanding. It's a solid gilding metal bullet.

It doesn't seem right to call it jacketed because it's ALL jacket!

Jack Stanley
02-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Elkins45 , how do ya like those GMX bullets ? I've thought about them for a thirty caliber .

Jack

Elkins45
02-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Elkins45 , how do ya like those GMX bullets ? I've thought about them for a thirty caliber .

Jack

I've taken two average sized whitetail does with the 90 grain .257 bullet. Muzzle velocity is somewhere around 3500 fps from the Weatherby out of a 26" barrel. One was at 90 yards straight on into the brisket. She dropped right where she was standing and never moved a muscle. I didn't recover the bullet (it was getting dark) but the stomach and intestines were intact when I dressed her, so it stopped somewhere inside the chest cavity from violent expansion.

The second was this fall and was a broadside shot from a solid rest at a measured 349 yards. In a bit of bad luck I managed to hit the lower bone in the front leg (humerus?) both on the way in and on the way out. The bullet had enough oomph to break the leg bone, ribs on both sides and the leg bone on the opposite side. She raised her tail and took a few stumbling steps and I lost sight of her over the crest. When I finally got over across the valley to her 15-20 minutes later I found her laying no more than 20 yards from where I hit her. I have to say I have been pleased with the performance at both ends of the distance spectrum, based on a sample of two.

runfiverun
02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
that gmx is on my short list for the 25 cals the ttsx is the other.
i cannot stand not having penetration after shooting stuff with lead.

Elkins45
02-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I stumbled upon a heck of a deal two years ago. Midway had the 90 grain plain base (the commercial offering is boat tailed) in their "blem" section listed without the brand name. They had even photoshopped the polymer tip in the picture so it wasn't red. They eventually dropped to $15/box of 50 so I splurged and bought 10 boxes.

As far as I can tell the only blemish is that they don't have a boat tail. They aren't even tarnished and they group as well or better than any other bullet I've tried with this rifle, which is an Interarms 98 Mauser with a PacNor barrel. Now I have essentially a lifetime supply of them for not a whole lot more than I would have paid for the equivalent amount of J-words.