PDA

View Full Version : Finally Shot my Rossi R92 in 357 with my own Boolits today and WOW

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Well I finally got some loads made up and had the time to get to my club range and test both out and all I can say is:happy dance: "WOW":happy dance:

For my tests I made up 32 rds each of W296 in 13.5, 14, 14.5 grns with a RCBS 38158swc water droped with an OAL of 1.587
With the 13.5 gn I had a 10" patern at 50 yds
With 14 gn it tightened up to 3"
At 14.5 it opened up to 5" and high

Now this was shooting neeling with the elbows on the table so not the steadiest stance and my ageing eyes showing a blurred rear sight, focused front sight and blurred target.

After shooting I ran a patch thru the barrel to check for lead and there was none to be found.

Afterwords i shoot my pistols with stuff I also made but it was just not quite as much fun as this new rifle was. I have a spring kit to still install and lighten up the action some but this was so much fun today.

This is the third caliber iv'e made and thanks to all the people here who helped me learn and understand what to do to make this happen with no leading right out of the gate.

Thanks Steve

warboar_21
02-11-2013, 02:42 AM
great to hear. I too just shot my brand spanking new M92 in 45LC today. Lots of fun. Why I didn't buy one of these sooner is beyond me.

GARCIA
02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Don't have a Rossi but do have a 1894 Marlin in 357 and another in 45 Colt.
They sure are a hoot to shoot!!!
Can go through a bunch of ammo real quick especially if you have family or friends that want to shoot!!!!

Tom

marlin39a
02-11-2013, 07:47 AM
They are a joy to use our cast boolits in. My 24" 357 is always calling to to go get some jackrabbits. Hows that front sight? I had to replace mine with a higher, now shoots 158 gr with ease.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
They are a joy to use our cast boolits in. My 24" 357 is always calling to to go get some jackrabbits. Hows that front sight? I had to replace mine with a higher, now shoots 158 gr with ease.
I started with the rear sight set in the middle notch and it shot very high, Moved it to the lowest notch and it shot very close but may need to take the adjustment wedge out.
I have a Williams front rizer but i dont know if the dove tail is correct.
Need another range trip :-D

marlin39a
02-11-2013, 09:20 PM
They all seem to shoot high. I replaced mine with a Marbles .450. I had to use a shim underneath to get it to set right.

BCRider
02-12-2013, 02:16 AM
I found my Rossi shot high as well. I'm using it for CAS so rifle distance needed to be on even as close in as 30 yards. As a short term fix I filed the notch out to a sort of sideways "C" shape as shown below. It STARTED as simply making it into a deeper "U" the same width as the top of the original "V" But I just couldn't see the front sight bead at all clearly so I filed it round and use it as a sort of peep/ghost ring like setup. Works great. Took me around 20 minutes of filing and testing using a round rat tail file from a set of small jewelers needle files and a touch of cold blue. As I said it started by using the flat file from the same set used on edge to just deepen the original "V" to a deeper slot. Then I got the idea to make it more of a peep sight like setup.

It might be what you guys need as well. And it wasn't that hard to do.