PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt goodness

Love Life
02-10-2013, 11:30 PM
So there I was larger than life...

I have had this revolver sitting in the safe for awhile. When I bought it I had grand designs in mind. Thoughts of wandering through the hills with a sweet single action 45 Colt revolver keeping me safe. I was pondering a Colt, but couldn't bring myself to plunk down the cash on an unknown. Especially after reading the article by Brian Pearce on the New Frontiers. So I got the next best thing. A Doug Turnbull USFA SAA in 45 Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. The only problem was shortly after buying it the company quit making them.

So I stuck her (unfired) in the gun safe to appreciate (which she has). Every time I reached in the safe for a gun she talked to me. "Please shoot me" she would say. I ignored her. Well today I decided to go ahead and sling some lead from her.

I went to my numero uno 45 colt boolit the RCBS 45-270-SAA. These were thrown from the Mihec brass clone. Boolits in hand and lubed with Speed Green (naturally) I went to my numero uno powder. Good old Unique. It covers my most important requirements for a powder. It lights, and it pushes the boolit out of the bore. Boolits and powder taken care of I got some 45 Colt brass and proceeded to load away. Since this revolver is rated to shoot 45 ACP+P I worked up to 10 gr of unique and headed to the range.

I set up my targets and proceeded to shoot from 20 yards standing. 7.5-8.5 gr weren't even on the paper. It was hitting high. Dang. Oh well, I just proceeded to shoot. At 10 gr it was hitting high left (target in picture), but grouped very well. Unfortunately I am stuck there unless I get taller sight put on. Hmmmmm. Maybe a call to Bowen is in order. I was also using the wrong sight picture so I will test some more next weekend using the 6 o'clock sight picture instead of cutting the target in half. Now all I need are some 454424's to try to see if those hit lower. We'll see.

One thing I keep marveling about with this revolver is the timing and fitting. The fit and finish of parts is every bit on par with my Freedom Arms. The timing is exquisite. 60 rds fired and nary a hint of a turn line. Yep I'll hang on to this one. All I need now is some leather and I'll have her out in the hills getting scratched up and worn in no time.

nhrifle
02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
On the SAA clone I had, the front sight blade had to be about bottomed in the rear sight notch to hit POA. That really is a beautiful gun! Looks like some love was put into it before you got it.

Love Life
02-11-2013, 01:11 AM
We need pictures Bill!

I could try a lighter boolit, but I really like the thump from the 45-270-SAA. I was planning on trying some 454424's which are 255 gr. I hope they work. Knowing myself well enough though even if I get the 454424 to hit center I will still use the 270-SAA and just practice a bunch to know where to aim.

Either that or get a higher sight put on.

Tatume
02-11-2013, 07:23 AM
My 5-1/2" USFA 45 Colt is a Rodeo model, which is what your's probably started as before Doug Turnbull worked on it. The factory took mine back and put a higher front sight on, but it still shoots 4" high at 25 yards with the Lyman 255 gr Keith bullet. Like you, I also like the RCBS 45-270-SAA, but it shoots even higher. I've considered asking Hamilton Bowen to install an adjustable rear sight, and possibly a barrel-band front sight as well. I'll look forward to hearing of your solution.

BTW, I agree that the fit is first rate, and comes close to matching my Freedom Arms revolvers. It's not their equal though.

Take care, Tom

GARCIA
02-11-2013, 07:27 AM
I shoot the exact same boolit out of my 45 Colts also.
Picked up three of Miha's molds in 45 Colt and just love them!!!
The article that Brian Pierce did on this boolit is fantastic.
My faorite load is 13.5 grain of HS6 in any case on hand.

Tom

Tatume
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Hi Tom,

Yes, that was a good article. I photocopied it and sent the copy to my brother last week.

Take care, Tom

Love Life
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
I may try the HS6 load when the craziness dies down Tom and powders become more available. Unique has always been my go to, and has always done well for me. Some say it is dirty, but that is what cleaning kits are for...

The Brian Pierce article you reference is what I used for load developement with this revolver. I tend to take what he says as the gospel as handed down from high.

I plan to retest the 9.5 gr and 10.0 gr loads since the POI was dang near the same at 20 yards standing, and if I can shoot the lower charge then that would be nice.

Tatume- I have the hollowpoint pins and will give some hollow points a try. They should be a bit lighter and hopefully lower the POI. The first thing I need to test though is using the correct sight picture and see what happens. If all of those fail I'll give the 454424 boolits a try. If all else fails there then I will be sending her off for a higher front sight. The fit and finish on this one is superb. I almost felt a little dirty squeezing off that first shot. Almost...

For leather I was looking at Barranti leather, and specifically the long horn companion model in the below link. I like that it can be strong side and crossdraw, as well as being able to remove the holster without removing the belt slide. Seems pretty neat and the price is right.

http://www.barrantileather.com/New_Products.html

I may change the grips out as well. The US stamp on the left side tried to eat my thumb and I had to put a sissy glove on. Perhaps some fancy walnut or maybe some stag or ivory are in order. I'll let the gun decide.

Love Life
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
When you say change grips do you mean the way you hold the gun or changing the actual stocks? These provide fantastic grip, but that emblem took a decent sized chunk from my knuckle and I was reckoning some smooth wood grips would solve that. I will shoot some more this weekend and see if I can alter my grip enough to mitigate it without killing my accuracy since I am very happy with how well the gun groups.

This is going to be fun.

ktw
02-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I took one out last weekend, as well.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/USFA45C_02-09-11_zps618911a2.jpg

I've settled on 6.0 Red Dot under Lyman 454190 in a range scrap alloy (BHN 8). This hits high for me a 25 yards. I need to load 200 gr cast (I've been using the Mihec 454-200-HP) to hit center of the bull.

I have found the USFA grip to chew on my bare hand only if I give it a death grip. It's comfortable if I let it roll.

I agree the USFA guns are wonderful. I can shoot the FA a bit better but only because the sight picture and the trigger are better on the FA revolver. The USFA has a very good trigger. The FA has a fantastic trigger.

-ktw

Harter66
02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
I backed my RBH down to 8.0 Unique w/452-255 RNFP for daily shooting and up to 9.0 for hunting loads mine drops at 265gn the 452 252 SWC gets the same loads and drops at 259gn. Both hit point of hold at 75 yd+- and were 7-8" high at 25 and 4 or so high at 50. A 45-200 SWC RCBS actually shot to point of hold. After some fooling w/the adjustable target sight at the back I was able to get it down far enough to shoot POH at 50. The 200 still hit w/in an inch at 25 so I'm content for now.

Just as a geewiz that's a pretty hot load your shooting. I got over magnumitus before non toxic duck loads were the law though.

Love Life
02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
If you think that's a hot load Rich you would faint at the amount of 2400 I stuff under a 255 gr RF in the 454 Casull. Now that one is hot.

I was looking for a load that pushed the 270-SAA from 900-1,000 FPS and that one does the trick, and according to the article is still under 45 ACP+P pressures. I plan to test more at 9.5 gr and 10 gr this weekend just to verify the POI are close enough for me to move on down to the milder load of 9.5 gr.

I'll be glad to get things all worked out with this boolit, and then I can work on a lighter shooting load for just plinking.

Tatume
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, it appears that all 5-1/2" USFA 45 Colt fixed sight revolvers shoot high! The gunsmith at USFA told me I was crazy, that he shot my gun and it shoots to point of aim at seven yards! I told him I don't shoot at seven yards, please change the sight. He argued with me some more, but finally did it. It's still too short, but better.

Love Life
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Hmmm. It appears you are correct Tatume. I'll see what happens this weekend. I'll also give my faithful Lee 452-255-RF a try and see how that goes. Bottom line is if I can get the 270-SAA to hit 2 inches or less above the bullseye then I will call it good.

Dan Cash
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Tatume has a point about 5 1/2 inch USFAs shooting high as mine does exactly as the ones featured on this thread. I stay in the 8 gr. Unique range for powder charge as you can bulge a chamber really easily on these revolvers. If you want a hell bending load, buy a Ruger. My bullet is a bevel base Lyman 265 grain with the bevel milled off leaving a 240 gr. flat base bullet. It has plenty of authority but accuracy is not exceptional in any of my 4 .45 Colt revolvers. Then again, it might be me.

Love Life
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
At 10 gr of Unique I had no high pressure signs and the fired cases ejected easily. The gun is rated for that load so shooting it is ok. If for some odd reason 20,000 PSI bulges the chambers then that is what my USAA vluable goods policy is for. So lets put my load of Unique to rest and focus on what can be done to get the POA/POI worked out.

At this time here are my thoughts:
HP the 270-SAA and see if that small weight drop will lower point of impact
Change to a lighter boolit
Send revolver off to have taller front sight put on by one of the acknowledged smiths capable of doing it correctly

Am I missing anything.

Tatume
02-12-2013, 12:32 PM
At 10.0 gr Unique and the 45-270-SAA Brian Pierce is probably correct and the load is safe. I have no issue with the particulars. However, I must point out that pressure signs are simply not going to show in these guns until you approach or exceed the safe limits of the Ruger Blackhawk. By that time you will likely have already damaged your USFA revolver.

Take care, Tom

Love Life
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Good points Tatume. Looks like KTW was able to get his POI centered with a 200 gr boolit. Have you worked with a boolit of that weight yet? If so what were the results?

Tatume
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Good points Tatume. Looks like KTW was able to get his POI centered with a 200 gr boolit. Have you worked with a boolit of that weight yet? If so what were the results?

No, but I have a Lee 452-200 flat point 6-banger mold in my hands right now. When I get time to cast I'm going to try them, which is why I bought this particular mold.

Tatume
02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
As I was writing the previous note, the UPS man handed me the LBT 412 240 WFN four-cavity mold I've been anxiously awating from Veral Smith. Now I have lots of casting to do this weekend!

Take care, Tom

ktw
02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Looks like KTW was able to get his POI centered with a 200 gr boolit.

Not out of the box.

When I bought it the gun shot 3 to 4 inches to the left with any load or bullet weight I tried. I contacted USFA. They had me send in the revolver and targets. They adjusted it and sent it back. No charge. It now shoot most loads centered and a few slightly left.

The bullet used in the picture I posted is a BRP version of the 454190 ("454190 Improved"). It casts at right at 270 gr with lube, in my alloy.

And mine is a 4 3/4" rather than a 5 1/2".

-ktw

Love Life
02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
What/who are ya'll using for holsters?

Love Life
02-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I found this gunsmith who redoes sights for Colts. I'll shoot him an email to see if he will work on clones.

http://www.bozemantrailarms.com/smithpage.htm

Love Life
02-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Ok things are coming along. I contacted a grip maker and confirmed that curly walnut was available. Now I need to contact the gunsmith about the sights. next I need to get some leather. Dang this is getting expensive, but some things you just have to do right.

Tatume
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Next I need to get some leather.

I am anxiously awaiting a PS6SA for my 4-1/4" Freedom Arms M97 (41 Rem Mag). Everybody, including John Taffin, claims it is fabulous. If I really like it, and I expect I will, I'm going to get a PS6DA for my 41 Magnum S&W Mountain Gun too.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/bwcc_saa.html

Love Life
02-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the link Tatume. I have been all over the Mernickle website and never saw that one. Looks like trip to Fernley is in order. Price is right on it as well.

makicjf
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I have 2 PS6sa, one for a 4 5/8 blackhawk and one for a 3 3/4 vaquero- great leather, holds the gun snug and tight with his belt. I wear one or the other all the time ( unless I am on campus)... sometimes both. Great holsters

Love Life
02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
7-8 weeks from now this block of curly walnut will be a set of grips on my gun. :mrgreen: