PDA

View Full Version : Best Die Lock Rings

Tamitch
02-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Who do you think make the best die lock rings?

joe i
02-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Love the Hornady rings, wish they'd fit on my Dillon 650 toolhead. They're all I use with the Rock Chucker, no matter what brand dies I'm using. They lock positively without marring the die threads, and have the wrench flat so you don't have to use pliers to loosen them. I'm a big fan.

engineer401
02-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Love the Hornady rings, wish they'd fit on my Dillon 650 toolhead. They're all I use with the Rock Chucker, no matter what brand dies I'm using. They lock positively without marring the die threads, and have the wrench flat so you don't have to use pliers to loosen them. I'm a big fan.

What he said.

nhrifle
02-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Here's one from the outcast. I like Lee rings. With the oring they are kinda like the Ronco Rotisserie -- set it and forget it.

GT27
02-10-2013, 11:20 PM
I second Lee's!

r1kk1
02-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Hornady and Lyman lock rings for me.

Take care

r1kk1

Von Gruff
02-11-2013, 02:01 AM
With the Lee lock rings I use a permanant marker pen to mark a line from the lock ring onto the die body and make sure that is always to the front in the press with the die put in and taken out by turning the lock ring rather than the die body so I have a positive visual check that there is use to use setting consistencey.
The Hornady is an excellent ring but I also have Lyman Forster and RCBS and they all work well.

Von Gruff
02-11-2013, 02:02 AM
With the Lee lock rings I use a permanant marker pen to mark a line from the lock ring onto the die body and make sure that is always to the front in the press with the die put in and taken out by turning the lock ring rather than the die body so I have a positive visual check that there is use to use setting consistencey.
The Hornady is an excellent ring but I also have Lyman Forster and RCBS and they all work well.

dromia
02-11-2013, 02:10 AM
I like the Lees but tend to use two per die. I also like the Forsters, however if I didn't have a Co-AX my dies would all carry Lee lock nuts.

dilly
02-11-2013, 02:16 AM
I'm a huge fan of Hornady's for the same reasons as Joe. I don't much care for the lee ones; it's pretty common that I accidentally adjust them when I just want to remove the die. I've never had a problem because I'm gentle but the RCBS ones just dig into the threading.

'74 sharps
02-11-2013, 07:54 AM
The Hornady rings are a more advanced design whereas as the RCBS rings are sort of first generation. RCBS should update theirs.

imashooter2
02-11-2013, 08:31 AM
I love the Lee rings. I've put them on a lot of other maker's dies.

BCB
02-11-2013, 09:16 AM
I don’t care for the split rings or the Lee, although if one marks the Lee die to line up each time, they might be acceptable. But, I am uncertain they are tight in the press…

The split rings seem to tighten against the top of the press when the rings are tightened…

I absolutely HATE the allen set screws in any of them. Too easy to round off, and the small size does not allow much torque to tighten them…

I throw the set screws away and use brass machine screws. 10-32, I think they are, but maybe 8-32. I have both on stock…

I grind the heads to the same diameter of the threads and that will allow it to turn and not contact the press top…

Sometimes I put a #9 shot pellet in the lock ring and then tighten the screw up on it…

Regardless, the brass does not hurt the die threads…

A bit of effort in the beginning, but simple the rest of the time…

Easy to get a screw driver placed on the brass machine bolt and tighten…

Sorry for the lousy quality of the photo--a bit shaky this morning...

Good-luck…BCB

BCB
02-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Same way on Forster Case Trimmer...

Tried a thumbnail this time...

BCB

(Does that thumbnail open when you click on it? If not, I will post it another way)

waksupi
02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
For dies using the set screw. Remove the screw, and drop in a single bird shot pellet. Replace set screw. The lead will hold easier and better than the set screw, and help prevent buggering up the screw when tightening.

winelover
02-11-2013, 01:20 PM
For dies using the set screw. Remove the screw, and drop in a single bird shot pellet. Replace set screw. The lead will hold easier and better than the set screw, and help prevent buggering up the screw when tightening.

You can also use a piece of copper Romex wire or one of the brass beads cut off an old fashion electrical pull chain.

Winelover

Doc Highwall
02-11-2013, 02:04 PM
I have been using a LEE on the bottom with another brand on top of the LEE jammed together.

captaint
02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I do what Rick said. A little shot ll do ya. Love the flats. Mike

gefiltephish
02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Hornady. Except on the Lee turret, then I use Lee rings because of little clearance between dies.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I have used and liked them all, depending on the application.

eka
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I prefer Forster or Lyman.

429421Cowboy
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't care for the RCBS rings, but i prefer them over Lee rings since i seem to change settings on accident with them. I do use a piece of shot under the screws but still have problems with slipping or stripped heads. Luckily RCBS will send new ones, and lead shot for free.

I just got a used set of Sinclar split lock rings, i love them except for the fact there is no wrench flats, but they beat standard RCBS, i put them on my most used dies, .44 spl/mag.

backroad
02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I like the hornady also,wish rcbs would use them and mill a flat on top of dies.

doulos
02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
I just picked up some Sinclair and Hornady. Both very high quality. The Sinclair are a bit larger and might not be great on a progressive or some turrets. I bought 6 of both makes to replace the rings on any RCBS dies I have. My Redding die rings seem Ok as do my Lymans. But i did not like the RCBS rings

FLHTC
02-12-2013, 09:52 AM
I like any split ring that doesn't crush the threads to lock. I like to repeat my settings and not have to worry about how far the "O" ring was compressed

Rockchucker
02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
When loading on a progressive press, Dillon makes the smaller rings that work great by just tightening them down to the toolhead with no set screw to bother with, and they never get out of adjustment. I don't use my single stage very much anymore except for special projects, then any set screw type ring seems to work great. Guess it's just personal choice.

bruce drake
02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
I prefer Lee Lock Rings and like others I have put them on my other die sets as well.

Bruce

jmort
02-12-2013, 10:18 AM
The Lee Precision lock rings work well

cylinderman
02-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I am a fan of the split rings, if they don't tighten with ease I just file a little more gap. I use a good t handle wrench with them. The set screw type seem to cause the die to sit crooked a bit for me.

wolf3006
02-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Cant say why but i like the hornady better.

doulos
02-12-2013, 05:50 PM
When loading on a progressive press, Dillon makes the smaller rings that work great by just tightening them down to the toolhead with no set screw to bother with, and they never get out of adjustment. I don't use my single stage very much anymore except for special projects, then any set screw type ring seems to work great. Guess it's just personal choice.

My Dillon rings have never loosened either. I still use my single stage presses a lot though. I use them to load .44 mag and .357 mag and 45-70. And also for some load development for .45 acp and 38 special when I want to try a different powder or load and just run about 20 cases off.
I like to keep the adjustment on the Dillon to a minimum.

zuke
02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
LEE dies on a turret press.
Set'em once then change turret for the next caliber.

o6Patient
02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Steel Lyman cross bolt rings are pretty good all around.
I like the forster al cross bolt rings for the co-ax.