PDA

View Full Version : Gun show find: Odd CVA

greenmntranger
02-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Picked up a new project at a show today. Was looking over a table and noticed a sidelock leaning up against the wall. Asked the seller what it was and he said it was a CVA kit gun that he had traded for. Asked him if it was for sale and he paused, then said he was going to fix it up and offer it up at the next show. asked if I could see it and he obliged.

Pewter forend cap, no front or rear sight, small crack at the back ind of the lock inlet, chappy finish on the stock, bright shiny trigger guard, set trigger, and marked .54 cal, but looking at the bore, seemed bigger. took out the calipers and she measured .58 ???

Anyone ever hear of a mismarked CVA before? Don't think it was re-bored but who knows

I'll post befor and after pictures as the project progresses

GMR

Took her home for a C note

mooman76
02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Was the nosecap flat on the end rater than more rounded? Could be a CVA Mountain rifle.

greenmntranger
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Yup...flat cap

and a 3 digit serial #

fishhawk
02-10-2013, 07:40 PM
CVA made the "big bore mountain rifle" in .54 and .58 caliber back in 1986 I was at friendship and was talking with the CVA reps and they said they had only made 500 of the "big bore mountain rifles" I have one in .58 the .58 was a 1-72 twist.

greenmntranger
02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
that sound kindda cool...1 of 500,

it's the marked as .54 and measuring out to .58 that bugs me

mooman76
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I've never heard of one mismarked. Maybe a rebore. Mountain rifles are probably as good as any CVA made and very much sawed after. Excellent find and buy.

greenmntranger
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Okay, took the day off from work today and had a chance to dismantle this warhorse and to my displeasure, found multiple cracks that run deep both under/behind the lock running into the wrist but also behind/under the tang. Also, with a better bore light, I can now see a bit more pitting that I did befor. Still a good deal for a C note. Was wondering if anyone here had a stock (inleted blank okay) that might fit or know of someone that could make up one up for a fare price?

john hayslip
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Dominic Paisano of San Antonio who is a consumate stockmaker/checkerer from what I've seen of his work (never been able to afford it though) wrote an article I read a couple of months ago about using a vacuum cleaner vaccum on the off side of a stock to pull a thin glue into cracks. If they go all the way through it might be worth the try.

Wayne Smith
02-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Or PM Wakskupi, Ric makes muzzleloaders.

nicholst55
02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
You can repair cracked stocks with super glue pretty well. The key is to make good and sure that the wood is totally degreased. I use multiple applications of acetone, and then allow the wood to dry for a couple of days. Gently spread the crack and liberally apply super glue. You can blow the glue down into the crack with compressed air. If you don't own a compressor you can use the 'canned air' that's intended to clean computer keyboards. Clamp, and allow to dry.

greenmntranger
02-13-2013, 03:45 PM
New inletted unfinished stock from Deer Creek...60+ shipping.

Finished to my liking and not having to clean up someone else's hack job...priceless

GARD72977
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
You can repair cracked stocks with super glue pretty well. The key is to make good and sure that the wood is totally degreased. I use multiple applications of acetone, and then allow the wood to dry for a couple of days. Gently spread the crack and liberally apply super glue. You can blow the glue down into the crack with compressed air. If you don't own a compressor you can use the 'canned air' that's intended to clean computer keyboards. Clamp, and allow to dry.

If I did this I would use model airplane glue. It comes in several grades (thickness) The thin wicks very well. If the wood goes back together with on gaps the thin will work well. The thicker will help on the inside where you want to fill any gaps or make a fillet for strength. If you get a good joint this stuff is very strong.

Just a thought

Mike.44
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Keep us posted. Want to know how it shoots after the bore is cleaned.