PDA

View Full Version : rusty moulds

augercreek
02-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I hadn't used my Ideal moulds for some time and now there is some light rust on them! Whats the best way to clean them up?
Your brother in Christ Jerry:(

imashooter2
02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Lots of posts available from a forum search. The popular concensus seems to be electrolytic rust removal or a product called Evaporust.

ETA: welcome to the forum!

500MAG
02-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Birchwood Casey® Blue & Rust Remover with a firm toothbrush works great.

longbow
02-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Personally, if it is light rust I would just wipe off the mould faces then cast. If the rust won't wipe off then gentle rubbing with fine steel wool should take it off mould faces. I think any light surface rust in the cavities will come while casting.

If not then Evaporust or naval jelly (phosphoric acid) will take it off without hurting the mould. Not sure about Evaporust but naval jelly will take the bluing off so you will either have to apply cold blue or wait until they heat blue naturally after a bit of casting.

If there is any pitting in the cavities you could lightly lap and that will remove it but I would cast first and see how the boolits look.

I always oil my moulds and steel parts on aluminum or brass moulds to avoid rust. it is easier to remove oil than rust.

Longbow

augercreek
02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I do have a jug of evaporust in the shop. Thanks

MikeS
02-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Evaporust is the way to go, it's non-toxic, and it really works! It will take off bluing, but on a mould that's not really a problem, as once you use the mould once or twice it will heat blue. Just this week I got a Lyman 55 powder measure, and it was fairly rusty, but after soaking it in evaporust for a couple of hours the rust is gone, and it functions much better than when I got it.

Wayne Smith
02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I had some light rust on a Lyman single cavity. Cast with it and the mold is beautiful again. Before you do anything more severe just cast with it and see what you get.

375RUGER
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Light rust will probably come off with a q-tip and acetone, IPA, MEK,.....or cast with it and see what happens.

Area Man
02-22-2013, 11:11 PM
The wire wheel on a bench grinder ruins the mold. I really wish I didn't know that from personal experience. Chalk it up to the "error" portion of "trial and error"

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-23-2013, 12:03 AM
The wire wheel on a bench grinder ruins the mold. I really wish I didn't know that from personal experience. Chalk it up to the "error" portion of "trial and error"

Aint that a :takinWiz:

John Boy
02-23-2013, 01:03 AM
A rust remover = 50:50 mix of acetone:ATF - shake well before using

saintdel
02-23-2013, 04:50 AM
I use fine steel wool. Seems to work fine.

StrawHat
02-23-2013, 06:40 AM
You fellows that cast with a rusty mold to clean it, what does the iron oxide do to the bore?