PDA

View Full Version : question about free lead score i just got.

1911fan
02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
My sisters print shop just gave me some big lead ingots that they had used as weights while gluing pads of paper. So they are coated in dried glue, can I smelt the glue off, or should I try to melt the glue off first?

blaser.306
02-10-2013, 01:25 PM
The glue will be coverted to carbon? And be the start of your fluxing process, it also is very likely to smoke and have a fair aroma to it as well but it shouldnt hurt your melt. Have you determined what kind of "lead" it is that was gifted to you? If from a print shop there would be a fair chance of it being linotype or harder forms of alloy.

I'll Make Mine
02-10-2013, 04:39 PM
I'd dunk the lead in boiling water to remove the glue -- nothing lost but time if it doesn't work. If it's the glue used in padding (i.e. edge gluing lots of sheets to make a "scratch pad"), it'll stink to high heaven when burning off in the lead pot, and most likely will melt and float off in boiling water. Do start the ingots in a cold pot to ensure they're dry before they start to melt, but that's good practice even if you haven't had them immersed in water before smelting...

1911fan
02-10-2013, 05:27 PM
after doing some research, they are linotype ingots. they have more I will be getting soon. I think I will be melting the glue off during the smelting process and using it as part of the flux process, then making the large ingots into the small ones that fit into my Lee drip o matic

imashooter2
02-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Free lino with more to come is more than just a score... it's a SCORE! Congrats on it being your turn. :)

savingprivateyang
02-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Exactly what imashooter2 said. I'll admit, I'm just a tad jealous. Nice score!

Charlie Two Tracks
02-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Very good news for you! Try to keep the temps down while smelting. It will melt a whole lot easier than wheel weights do. If you get any that is in type form or small bars, just leave it as is. You can add it to a mix just like it is and be able to weigh it out closer. See if they have any of the old type left. It's worth more than lead is.

sqlbullet
02-11-2013, 10:39 AM
If you are refining you scrap lead in a dutch oven/not in your casting pot, I would just let the glue burn off.

If the scrap lead goes straight into the casting pot, I would try to clean it up first.