PDA

View Full Version : Buying a manual case trimmer, looking strongly at a Wilson

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey Fellas,

Sold my RCBS electric trimmer since I got a Dillon 1200 for my mass produced cartridges, but still need a manual case trimmer for my long range single stage cartridges.

I'm looking strongly at a Wilson trimmer and see the options have grown related to their product line since I last looked. I'm in a "buy once, cry once" kinda mood, since this trimmer will be trimming for the longer range cartridges (600 yards and up), so I want the quality/accuracy.

Looking both for top of the line alternatives to the Wilson, if there are any and also looking at "what to buy" if I go for a Wilson (where I'm strongly leaning).

All that said, here's some information about what I'm doing to give you enough information to help me:

Cartridges I'm going to trim on this manual trimmer, in order of quantity/importance:

1. .308 Winchester (Mostly HPBT and lead boolits, some hunting bullets)Semi automatic rifles at longer ranges.
2. 30.06 Springfield (Mostly HPBT and lead boolits, some hunting bullets)
Semiautomatic rifles again, longer ranges.
3. .303 British (FMJ, HPBT and lead boolits)
Brand new #4, all ranges, small quantity
4. 7.62 X 54 Russian (FMJ, HPBT and lead boolits)
Feeding Mosins, including a sniper rifle.
5. .223 Remington/5.56 (Mostly HPBT, FMJ and lead boolits, some hunting bullets)AR15's, built for accuracy, longer ranges.

I currently resize, then trim, but am flexible and could reverse this if there is a better method for long range accuracy.

I can afford to outfit the trimmer for best accuracy, though I would like to be able to buy accessories such as case holders that lend themselves to efficiency from a time standpoint if possible.

I am probably going to hand chamfer the case mouths after trimming, unless there's no need to if loading boat tail spitzer bullets, which is all I plan to reload.

In no cases above will I trim over 100 cases at a time.

Thank you for your help, best resource on the net.

Dave

r1kk1
02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Sinclair for Wilson. Ch4D makes a trimmer very close to the Wilson and I believe the case holders interchange. I know his neck bushing dies will interchange with Wilson bushings also.

I really like my Wilson. Very accurate and repeatable.

Take care

r1kk1

TNsailorman
02-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Wilson and CH4D use the same basic set up and yes their shell holders do interchange. I have both and use the shell holders back and forth. For me, they are the most accurate trimmers on the market. I also have a Forster and like it. I have owned RCBS and Lyman in the past also. All good trimmers but I like the adjustment and absolute square trimming on the Wilson/ C&H better. my way anyway, james

billurbank
02-10-2013, 09:12 PM
I like the Lee Trimmer. It locates the cutter from the insde of the neck of the case. The fineshed length is measured through the flash hole, therefore the base of the case can not interfere with mouth of the case being square with the neck. The Lee is easily driven as well as used by hand.

Gearhead1
02-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I have a old Wilson and have made a hold down arm for the case holders it's works great, and the best thing about the Wilson is that the cartridge is supported by the case holder and not by a pilot bushing. You can buy the hole set up from Sinclair or Brownells. Midway has a good price on the case holders.

novalty
02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
The Wilson trimmer is not the fastest, but I'd venture to say it is one of the most accurate. I am not a fan of the style that holds the case by the rim, and then tries to support the mouth with a pilot. You are putting pressure on both ends of the brass when you are cutting, and that makes the case mouth want to try to move. The Wilson/CH4D shell holders eliminate the movement and allow for a squarer cut on the brass. Now if you were trimming mostly handgun or straight-walled brass, which I don't, I'd be looking for a different style trimmer that might be faster. Just my $.02 worth.

P.K.
02-11-2013, 10:44 AM
IMHO, wait for Lee to release it's Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer. I've been waiting 2 years for this thing and Lee states release as Spring 2013. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Untill that point I have a Lyman that I have no fault with aside from bench space. With the Lee it will mount in your Single Stage and with a few turns on the top your done.

Rick B
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Buy the Wilson trimmer they are the best.If you like to trim after sizing, make sure you purchase the for new cases caseholder. A fired caseholder will not hold the case. In rare cases when an ejector mark shows up on a case head you can flip the holder around and cut it right off. Stalwart the loading block maker has an after market stand that uses a toggle link clamp to secure the holder to the trimmer. This design is fast and very secure. I bought mine years ago from Russ Hayden in Gig Harbor, Wa.

PS I cant imagine using this trimmer without the Stalwart base. The toggle link clamp is that good. Rick B

Char-Gar
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I bought a Wilson trimmer in 1959 and am still using it. A very good use of my reloading equipment dollar.

Dan Cash
02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I have had and used Lyman,RCBS and Forster trimmers with various degrees of success and failure. The Sinclair is probably a very good outfit by all reports though I have never owned or used one. Hand loaders talk about cutting the neck square and I guess all these brands will cut square but square to what?

The Lyman is hindered by the fact it centers the case base on the primer hole (not a good idea to trime primed brass with this one). The problem is that the primer hole is not always centered in the cartridge case.

The RCBS centers on the case rim which is not always concentric with the true axis of the case which can cause an out of square condition for the case neck. Big drawback to the RCBS is that the collet which holds the case head is pulled back into the trimmer base to tighten with no absolute linear stop which results in inconsistent case length.

The Forster also uses a collet to grip the case head and will be subject to the same potential missalignment as the RCBS but since the Forster collet is held against a positive, consistent stop and tightened by a conical nut advancing against the collet base, the length is always consistent.

I currently use Forster trimmers exclusively as they are fast enough, repeatable, maintainable and precice enough for me. For a reloader working with a great number of calibers, they are less costly than the Sinclair which requires a dedicate case holder for each caliber and evidently a different holder for a new case and a fired case of the same caliber. I have detected out of square case necks with the Lyman, never checked with the RCBS as I did not use it long and did not check it. I have not been able to detect any lack of squareness with the Forster but I do not have all the sofisticated test equipment one might need to make full determination of minute errors.

The Forsters fit my reloading program and I find them to be very satisfactory for production of 1000 + yard ammo.

gefiltephish
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
I also have the Sinclair/Wilson setup. I use a small electric screwdriver to spin it. Case length always comes out consistently.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
After reading everyone's posts and doing a little research, I've come up with the following list:

Wilson -available now only in a more expensive stainless version, which is nice, but I tend to keep my reloading tools cleaned and lubed, so stainless isn't needed. That said, the stainless steel version is $64.99, a stand is $16.49, a clamp is $18.99 and case holders are $10.99. I would have to buy the stand, clamp for the CH4D version and could go with Sinclair products as well for more money, though they do offer nice kits. If I use the CH4D case holders, I can get the outfit put together for $130.91 plus shipping for the four calibers I want to do.Is there any reason to buy the micrometer and other fancy stuff Sinclair offers or is that stuff just fluff?

CH4D - pretty much the same trimmer as the Wilson and uses the Wilson trim dies, but isn't stainless steel and is less expensive. Wilson/Sinclair accessories should fit this trimmer. The base trimmer (no accessories) is $44.06 from CH4D. The case holders are $7.61 apiece (4 needed). No stand or micrometer or quick clamp shown on their website, but I'm guessing the Wilson accessories will likely fit, so add an additional $35.48 for a stand and a case holder clamp. Brings the total to $109.98 plus shipping for the four calibers I want to do if I don't buy a micrometer.Any reason to pick the more expensive stainless steel Wilson version over the CH4D non stainless version?

Forster - Is about the only trimmer that competes with the Wilson, but is a bit faster and less expensive to get into initially. If I buy this one, I'll buy it with the case trimmer kit with 6 pilots and 3 collets that will likely cover most of the calibers I'll need the trimmer for. Currently, I can get this trimmer for $90.00 shipped. Is the Wilson/CH4D version worth the extra dollars over this Forster from an accuracy standpoint? Anybody own both?

The question I have in my mind now is if the Wilson or CH4D offer me enough improvement over the Forster to justify the extra cost.

novalty
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
After reading everyone's posts and doing a little research, I've come up with the following list:

Wilson -available now only in a more expensive stainless version, which is nice, but I tend to keep my reloading tools cleaned and lubed, so stainless isn't needed. That said, the stainless steel version is $64.99, a stand is $16.49, a clamp is $18.99 and case holders are $10.99. I would have to buy the stand, clamp for the CH4D version and could go with Sinclair products as well for more money, though they do offer nice kits.

CH4D - pretty much the same trimmer as the Wilson and uses the Wilson trim dies, but isn't stainless steel and is less expensive. Wilson/Sinclair accessories should fit this trimmer. The base trimmer (no accessories) is $44.06 from CH4D. The case holders are $7.61 apiece. No stand or micrometer or quick clamp shown on their website, but I'm guessing the Wilson accessories will likely fit.

Forster - Is about the only trimmer that competes with the Wilson, but is a bit faster and less expensive to get into initially. If I buy this one, I'll buy it with the case trimmer kit with 6 pilots and 3 collets that will likely cover most of the calibers I'll need the trimmer for. Currently, I can get this trimmer for $90.00 shipped.

The question I have in my mind now is if the Wilson or CH4D offer me enough improvement over the Forster to justify the extra cost.

If you are going to do straight-walled cases, or handgun brass, I would get the Forster. If you are not, I would get the Wilson/CH4D.

Doc Highwall
02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
I have the Sinclair/Wilson with the micrometer and it works great. I am using it to trim cases for neck turning and the case length is easy to adjust in .001" increments. I am using the 21st Century neck turning tool. Both of these tools are expensive but after you use them you will know the money was well spent.

dragon813gt
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I have both the CH4D and Forster trimmers. I use both of them.

I use the Forster for pistol cases and I have the power adapter. It makes trimming 357 brass quick and easy. But I have trimmed some to short because they weren't fully seated in the collet. This is always my error but one that's still made easily. My hand tends to fatigue from opening/closing the collet when doing large batches.

I use the CH4D trimmer for rifle cases. I will only do fifty at a time to make sure everything is done right. This is also the max amount I typically shoot when I go to the range. I don't have a stand or any other accessory. I just have it screwed down to a 2x4 that gets clamped to the bench. I have the Forster set up the same way.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you're only looking for one versatile easy to use tool, buy the Forster. If you don't mind needing more parts but with a potential higher acuracy, buy the CH4D. If you're not sure and have the money, buy both. Whichever one yiu decide not to use you can easily sell for what you paid for it.

bbqncigars
02-13-2013, 11:29 PM
I switched to the Wilson from Forster a few years back. One thing I love about the Wilson is their primer pocket reamers that replace the regular cutting head. They are the best solution for removing crimps from military brass, as they leave the edges smoothly radiused.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
You guys are killing me. I'm waffling day to day from the Forster to the CH4D with Wilson accessories. The Forster has everything I'll need for trimming most of my cartridges right out of the box for less money, but the Wilson/CH4D has all these neat little things it can do and is a bit more accurate. Fish or cut bait....

Woody3
02-14-2013, 12:56 AM
Wilson all the way. Smooth and fast enough for me.

Dan Cash
02-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Forster. You can pick one up for about $50.00 used, add one more collet which will serve all the cases you are trimming and 3 pilots. The Forster is very simple to adapt to a power screwdriver or small drill for power application without spending more than 2 or 3 dollars. You will be happy. If not, I will buy your trimmer and ad it to the 5 I already have.

r1kk1
02-14-2013, 09:57 AM
You can also use a cordless with the Wilson/CH4D.

Take care

r1kk1

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Dave: there is alot of ways to trim cases, and they range from the Lee method for $10 to whatever. As long as the mouth of the case is square and you get the desired length, there is little else that matters. Point being any of them will work just fine.

I have an RCBS trimmer I haven't used in years just because it is too much work.

I now use RCBS X sizing dies now and trim the first and last time with a Lee cutter mounted in my drill press with a collet closer to hold the case, and I really don't even need the collet closer, but it makes the cases easier to hold onto while the cutter is working.

You are looking for "Overall Length" like from where the stop on the drill press is set, to the table. You would need two Lee length gages that screw into your cutter for 30 and 22 cals. You'd cut them off to make pilots out of them. The OAL is controlled by the quill stop on the drill press. Simple as that.

You could even splurge and buy one of the trimmer cutters that does the length and chamfers the inside and outside at the same time reducing your # of operations by a factor of 2. Run it in the drill press the same way as the Lee cutter.

Then there is that "Worlds Best Trimmer" which works pretty well but you have to size the cases first.

This is an operation where the faster you can get it done the better off you are. Your only consideration is maintaining your desired length thruout the run. IE; you need to measure every 10th one or so.

Randy

EDG
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Skip the Wilson. You will find sooner or later that there is no case holder for what you want to trim.
If you have to have a custom case holder made it is $22. BTW I have 3 Wilsons so I know a bit about using them.
The Forster is much more flexible. It will trim almost anything until you get to very large diameter rims like the .50-70 or the .577/450. But guess what? The Wilson will not trim them either.
With very large diameter rounds you can get a larger Forster trimmer. The only large case holder standard for the Wilson is the .50 BMG.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Randy,

I'm not looking for speed, as I already have a Dillon 1200 trimmer set up in my progressive when I need speed. I'm looking for reasonably decent accuracy for small volumes of cases. As an aside, I want the tool to be a pleasure to use.

Edg,

Thanks for the information on flexibility. I doubt though at this point I'm going to add any calibers I don't already have. But I've been made a liar before.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to buy the Forster with the kit and the CH4D set up to do a single caliber (.308) and see which one pushes the other off the little table I'm be doing trimming on while I'm watching TV. The one I don't like, I'll sell in a couple months.;)

dragon813gt
02-15-2013, 07:42 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to buy the Forster with the kit and the CH4D set up to do a single caliber (.308) and see which one pushes the other off the little table I'm be doing trimming on while I'm watching TV. The one I don't like, I'll sell in a couple months.;)

You will end up keeping both ;)

lightman
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I have the Wilson, with all of the accessories that Sinclair has for it. Its a nice trimmer, and probably the most accurate. Its also the most expensive, with all of the goodies! After getting used to it, its about as fast as any of the collet type trimmers. The collet type trimmers can vary the trim length by how tight you tighten the case in the collet. They will all do the job, and I doubt if you can see any difference in group size with any of them. Lightman

EDG
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
>>>Thanks for the information on flexibility. I doubt though at this point I'm going to add any calibers I don't already have. But I've been made a liar before.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to buy the Forster with the kit and the CH4D set up to do a single caliber (.308) and see which one pushes the other off the little table I'm be doing trimming on while I'm watching TV. The one I don't like, I'll sell in a couple months.<<<

You can buy both off of ebay for much reduced prices. You can also find them while trolling gun shows. That is how I wound up with 5 Forsters and 3 Wilsons for very low prices.
I have 3 different case neck turning heads that can be left set up on the Forsters. One of the Forsters does all the trimming and one is new in the box.
I do not have a trimmer for a 50-70 but one of the Wilson's is in the process of being converted with .50 BMG parts from Wilson.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Gearhead1, I would really appriciate it if you could post a picturec of the case holder hold down divice you made for the Wilson trimmer. I have several trimmers but my go to is the wilson. I was about to put mine up for sale but the guys on this sight told me to use it first. I used it once and now I wouldn't part with it. I do have some duplicate case holders I would like to swap if anyone has some extras.

EDG
02-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Gopher what extra holders do you have?
I have quite a few considering I don't use it much.

Doc Highwall
02-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Watch because Wilson makes two case holders for most calibers, for new cases and fired cases. You don't want to get rid of one by mistake.

uscra112
02-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Forster. Sold my Wilson. Slow, slow, slow, and if you don't have the right adaptor, you're S.O.L. And try finding an adapter for 22 Lovell, or .32 Ideal, or even .30 Herrett. Repeatability as good as the Wilson, IMHO.

The Forster will handle just about everything under the sun with just three collets. Only drawback might be that the pilots they sell assume you've already sized and expanded your case necks. If they're not expanded, the pilot won't fit. I just make pilots on my lathe as I need them.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-16-2013, 05:12 PM
EDG, I have an extra holder for the 6mm Rem-257Roberts-7mm Mauser, 30-30-32spl, 270-280-30.06, 264 & 300 Win.mag-7mm Rem.mag. I have another holder for the mag calibers just listed but includes the .358 Norma mag. That is five extra holders that I could trade. I have and use holders for the 222 Rem. 222 Rem mag, 6mm Rem, 30-30, 30.06, 30.40 Krag, .45-70, .38spl, .44 mag.

Randy C
02-17-2013, 09:50 AM
If you have extra holders it don’t hurt to sell them but I would keep one of each size you may have a friend that you help with a project you never know what comes up.